Powders and loads for 22-250 Rem

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Powders and loads for 22-250 Rem

Post by Paul » 05 Sep 2020, 10:05 pm

Hi all,

I recently chatted with another 22-250 re loader and his loads were significantly less than what I am developing:

Mine - mid range load of 34.3 gr ADI 2206H behind a 55gr V-Max

His - 31.5 gr 2206H behind 55 gr Supa Ross (Sierra)

Accuracy seems to be very good on the 31.5 gr and I'm wondering if going to a lower starting load is the way to go?

My development process to date, based on some previous reading on where to start is like this:

For the powder and projectile, find the upper and lower recommended loads. Start at 1/3 up this scale i.e in the ADI book for 55 gr, max is 35.5, min is 32.5, so start 1/3 up this range and increase by 1% of max load (of 35.5-32.5 = 3gr = .355gr increments).

Make sense?

So am I starting too high, given my colleague is getting great accuracy with 31.5 gr with the same powder? I appreciate different rifles like different loads, but I am wondering if I am starting in the wrong place. Plus my loads from 33.7 to 35.5 are really not getting closer than around 1.5-2 MOA at best @ 100m.

Another re-loader I know has said start 10% below min and work up by 1 gr intervals to start with prior to refining.

Ive been trying to get an accurate load for my Parker Hale Midland Mod 98 for the past 18months. Significant improvements in consistency since floating the barrel (sanding out the stock). I appreciate the rifle is quite aged (bought in 1980) and maybe less than an accurate beast. But its a project and sentimental thing :-)

I have some 2208, and also wondering if for 22-250 what the better powder is. Ive seen and gotten some other suggestions re powders, so what is the thinking on what is best (whats the tech behind one powder or another?).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Paul
Last edited by Paul on 06 Sep 2020, 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Powders and loads for 22-150 Rem

Post by Tilb004 » 06 Sep 2020, 12:02 am

Paul wrote:Hi all,

I recently chatted with another 22-250 re loader and his loads were significantly less than what I am developing:

Mine - mid range load of 34.3 gr ADI 2206H behind a 55gr V-Max

His - 31.5 gr 2206H behind 55 gr Supa Ross (Sierra)

Accuracy seems to be very good on the 31.5 gr and I'm wondering if going to a lower starting load is the way to go?

My development process to date, based on some previous reading on where to start is like this:

For the powder and projectile, find the upper and lower recommended loads. Start at 1/3 up this scale i.e in the ADI book for 55 gr, max is 35.5, min is 32.5, so start 1/3 up this range and increase by 1% of max load (of 35.5-32.5 = 3gr = .355gr increments).

Make sense?

So am I starting too high, given my colleague is getting great accuracy with 31.5 gr with the same powder? I appreciate different rifles like different loads, but I am wondering if I am starting in the wrong place. Plus my loads from 33.7 to 35.5 are really not getting closer than around 1.5-2 MOA at best @ 100m.

Another re-loader I know has said start 10% below min and work up by 1 gr intervals to start with prior to refining.

Ive been trying to get an accurate load for my Parker Hale Midland Mod 98 for the past 18months. Significant improvements in consistency since floating the barrel (sanding out the stock). I appreciate the rifle is quite aged (bought in 1980) and maybe less than an accurate beast. But its a project and sentimental thing :-)

I have some 2208, and also wondering if for 22-250 what the better powder is. Ive seen and gotten some other suggestions re powders, so what is the thinking on what is best (whats the tech behind one powder or another?).

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul

My first rifle was a tikka 22-250 and still have it .

I load 55 gn v-max and 36.5 gn of 2208 and the best 100m 3 shot group is 1/4 moa.

It took a while to get that load but the testing was worth it .

You just have to find out what your barrel likes.
Mine seems to like it fast .

tilb
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by marksman » 06 Sep 2020, 12:17 am

the best powder is the one that works in your rifle Paul, but it is good to find out what works for others
l use 36.1gr of 2208 in mine with 50 gr nosler shots, win cases and federal primers for around 3600fps, a very precise load in my rifle that is 1 in 14" twist
my rifle shoots well with 2208 and not really with others, as l said it shoots well but is a one horse pony only shooting this load well
l start @ 7% below max load worked out with quickload for my rifle, max book load is conservative in some rifles and l would test at least just over ADI book max
l'm going to put up a link to what l would recommend for reloading to anyone, if your rifle will shoot, this is IMHO the way to do it, hope it helps :thumbsup:
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 06 Sep 2020, 12:40 am

G'day paul mate i've been using the 22-250 for years and find every one is an individual and likes different things , now yours being an older rifle presume ,have you checked for copper fowling in the barrel , now if the barrel is ok and everything points to powder or projectile then maybe change the powders until you find one that shoots a given load better than the rest, i've always used ADI powders mainly to keep to one powder but this may not suit all people, i mainly use 55gr vmax but after replacing my last barrel just a few months ago i find the new one prefers 52gr hornady sp and near max load Benchmark 2 for 3950fps where as the old barrel was min load at 31.6gr Benchmark 2 with a 55gr Vmax for 3414fps so you'll have to try and find a powder that suits your rifle but most powders if you play with them enough will mostly get a rifle to shoot moa or better but yours being well used i presume it could test your patience a little, but check the barrel make sure it's in good shape then find the best load then play with seating depth with the projectile also find the twist rate and find a good projectile that will suit that twist, some of the older 22-250's had a slower twist that suited the lighter projectiles so it'd be worthwhile to toy with different weight projectiles as well as powders, most 1-14 to 1-12 twist will shoot lighter projectiles with the 1-14 55gr being the higher end weight but i've heard of some shooting 60gr but very few 1-12 will do 60gr and 1-10 i've shot 69gr so twist can affect grouping with certain weight projectiles , you don't have to send a bullet at top speed to gain accuracy , hope i've done a little to help mate :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Sep 2020, 8:45 am

marksman wrote:the best powder is the one that works in your rifle Paul, but it is good to find out what works for others
l use 36.1gr of 2208 in mine with 50 gr nosler shots, win cases and federal primers for around 3600fps, a very precise load in my rifle that is 1 in 14" twist
my rifle shoots well with 2208 and not really with others, as l said it shoots well but is a one horse pony only shooting this load well
l start @ 7% below max load worked out with quickload for my rifle, max book load is conservative in some rifles and l would test at least just over ADI book max
l'm going to put up a link to what l would recommend for reloading to anyone, if your rifle will shoot, this is IMHO the way to do it, hope it helps :thumbsup:
http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

Interesting read - but is this speed of sound correct ?
Attachments
BF894267-B65C-4A99-8090-0BB8EE57F4E1.jpeg
BF894267-B65C-4A99-8090-0BB8EE57F4E1.jpeg (112.25 KiB) Viewed 6299 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Powders and loads for 22-250 Rem

Post by Blr243 » 06 Sep 2020, 9:17 am

How bad ( worst case sceario ) would accuracy be with 60 -80 grain bullets in a 1/12 twist ? If I can shoot 40 grainers superbly and I’m sighted in for such. Then I keep a few bigger bullets in my pocket in case I run into a boar. Disregarding poi diff between the loads , I never have any trouble getting within 40 m of pigs in the dark on foot ...if bigger bullets won’t stabilise in my 1/12 , are we talking 5 or 6 moa?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Grandadbushy » 06 Sep 2020, 10:21 am

If you are talking to me Blr then i've tried from 40gr to 80gr in various twist rates and the 1-8 would not stabilize my 80gr but loved 69gr, the 1-10 max was 69gr and loved them the 1-12 one barrel stabilized 69gr and the other didn't i've had and have got 2 1-14's one loves 55gr and the other loves 52gr i've always used B/M2 even with the Ackley improved 1-10 and 1-8 it would only in both barrels stabilize 69gr as over that they started key holing , i suppose i could have played with other powders and on some occasions i did but at the end of the day it's probably not the case for everybody, so i give Paul the knowledge i had gained from my experiences and hoped he may see some use in it , as we all know or those of us with a fair bit of loading experience know every barrel has its own likes and dislikes , some barrels are finished better than others and some have different features in their rifling so the best for Paul would be to hunker down and look through the info we have given him and decide which way he is going to attack this, if i remember back i used AR2209 in the 1-8 but wouldn't stabilize over 69gr, i tried different brand projectiles and found some shot better some shot worse but weight and stability never changed only the accuracy did but not by much, but as i said this is not the case for someone else who's prepared to spend heaps of time and effort to fine tune a rifle and load , my theory is if you are not getting at least 5/8'' groups with a good barrel then you need to move on and find some load that's better or maybe you will be happy with that and that's fine, but with me i prefer to strive for clover leaf or bug holes where possible but that's probably just my fussiness kicking in . :thumbsup: :lol:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Sep 2020, 11:53 am

TassieTiger wrote:
Interesting read - but is this speed of sound correct ?

l've sent Chris Long (tech shooter) an email to find out
l'll let you know when he has replied TT :drinks:

l have received an email response from Chris regarding your question TT :thumbsup: what a nice guy :drinks:

Mark:

The data is out there, but a bit hard to find easily. I found this source to be the most comprehensive. There is a slight variation between alloys, but not enough to worry about as the process only gets you to a good starting point.

Specifically, 416 stainless steel, the material for all the barrels I shoot, has a mean velocity of 0.236 inches per microsecond. This works out to 19666 ft/s. It is pretty fast compared to the speed of sound in air. This has been empirically confirmed over many years of testing.

Cheers,

l will send the information to you Tassie as its to large to put on the forum :drinks:
Last edited by marksman on 06 Sep 2020, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 06 Sep 2020, 12:01 pm

Blr243 wrote:How bad ( worst case sceario ) would accuracy be with 60 -80 grain bullets in a 1/12 twist ? If I can shoot 40 grainers superbly and I’m sighted in for such. Then I keep a few bigger bullets in my pocket in case I run into a boar. Disregarding poi diff between the loads , I never have any trouble getting within 40 m of pigs in the dark on foot ...if bigger bullets won’t stabilise in my 1/12 , are we talking 5 or 6 moa?

Blr, my first ever cenerfire was a voere 22-250 back in the days when most people thought a 303 was the only rifle to use,
l shot many pigs with it never having a problem, but was younger and took more risks than now, IMO its worth a try to see if your rifle will shoot the heavier pills but seriously though the 60 gr hp sierras hit very hard and would be all you want IMHO and they should stabilise
https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/2 ... -60-gr-hp/
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 06 Sep 2020, 12:36 pm

Those Parker Hale Midland rifles were never much of a shooter. Have had, and reloaded for a couple of them (30-06 and 22/250) they were not rated tack hole rifles.

One of their biggest problems was their skinny barrels - like a knitting needle with a hole though it. And the chamber may be a bit loose so don't FLS.

Secondly, their stocks are cheap. So bedding is essential.

Thirdly, the action was cheaply built around a O3A3 Springfield bolt. There is a bit of flex in the action. I had big problems keeping scope mounts on my 30-06.

I would recommend commencing at the ADI starting load and go up 0.3 grains at a time. Use 2208 as I have found this accurate on all my 22/250 rifles with 55gr bullets. When you find what's the most accurate, refine the load.

Being an old rifle, the throat may be eroded, so you may need to chase the lands by varying bullet seating depth.

Good luck
Mike
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 06 Sep 2020, 1:50 pm

Thanks marksman. Prior to the gun buy back I had a mini 14 in 223 and it worked fine. I was just wondering what size groups to expect when bullets are not stabilised. 4 moa would not bother me at 50 m( on feral pig sized game) Mostly I’ll stick to the smaller very accurate components when looking for cats n foxes
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 06 Sep 2020, 4:53 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks marksman. Prior to the gun buy back I had a mini 14 in 223 and it worked fine. I was just wondering what size groups to expect when bullets are not stabilised. 4 moa would not bother me at 50 m( on feral pig sized game) Mostly I’ll stick to the smaller very accurate components when looking for cats n foxes

its a very accurate precise round the 22-250 Blr
the 60 grainers are as well and you could use other pills but l do know the 60 grainers work very well where l have found others with plastic tips can fail
you will find the trajectory will suit what you are doing as well, almost dead on at 50, an inch high at 100 and dead on again at 170ish
you should at least get .5 moa minimum at 100 :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Paul » 07 Sep 2020, 6:20 pm

Thanks all for your responses.

Marksman, Ive got those articles of Dan Newberry's, and rate them. Used he round robin load devel process last time. Seemed to work well, though still didn't get a 'best' load as yet.

Thanks in advance.
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Paul » 09 Sep 2020, 7:55 pm

animalpest wrote:Those Parker Hale Midland rifles were never much of a shooter. Have had, and reloaded for a couple of them (30-06 and 22/250) they were not rated tack hole rifles.

One of their biggest problems was their skinny barrels - like a knitting needle with a hole though it. And the chamber may be a bit loose so don't FLS.

animalpest - yes Ive wondered about the inherent accuracy of the Midland, and as Grandadbushy says I may be chasing my tail and also your comments about it not being a tack driver. I am inclined to give the 2208a go as many have suggested it. As i said ita bt of a project, and maybe the barrel is not in good nick as I neglected it for a couple of decades :-( But the improvement in consistency I got with the float encouraged me. I am curious as to why you say not to FLS, as I was thinking that my relaoded cases maybe a bit out of shape and was going to to do exactly this.

Paul
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by cflake » 11 Sep 2020, 8:38 pm

I have a sako which is 1:14 and it didn't seem to like 55gr, but 50gr noslers worked great - fingernail sized groups. I use 35.5gr 2206h because I bought 4kg on special and still have heaps left but sounds like I should try 2208.
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Spadfa » 07 Nov 2023, 6:58 am

I recently bought a used 22-250 and have started initial load testing. I loaded a 53gr v max in front of 2206h powder in various loads of 1/2 grain intervals and anxiously put the loads through their paces. I was pleasantly surprised at the results. My new rifle seems to love the 53gr v max - showing stability throughout the load range and 33.5 gr of powder being a clear tack driving winner.
After reading many negative posts on various forums I was very apprehensive about using the 53gr V Max in my 1-14 twist barrel. Many seem to have had stability problems but thankfully - not me. It just proves that all rifles are different and there is no substitute for finding what suits your individual rifle. I am now looking forward to refining the results. :P
Spadfa
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition