Pistol powder in lever action 357

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Pistol powder in lever action 357

Post by Tubs » 28 Sep 2020, 9:29 pm

Hi All, Ive got a fair bit of APS450 Im using for my 357 and 9mm reloads.

Will a 357 round filled to the brim with APS450 using a small pistol primer be suitable for firing out of a Rossi lever action?

Cheers
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Pistol powder in lever action 357

Post by Blr243 » 28 Sep 2020, 9:37 pm

I think powder chargers in cases should be described in actual weight in the interests of safety
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 28 Sep 2020, 9:38 pm

Follow the ADI loading guide for the projectile weight, they have a 357 Magnum guide under rifles as well as pistols.

APS450 is a very fast burning powder which means a high pressure increase before the projectile has even moved, if you use too much powder you can split the barrel or even blow the bolt back into your face so either use a known safe load or get a chrono and work up slowly from a safe load.

I have filled a 357 case with 20 grains of slow burning AR2205 which is exactly the upper limit for a 124 grain projectile in an 18.5" carbine barrel according to ADIs load data, faster burning powders need smaller amounts.

Take the warnings seriously, you can do a lot of damage to firearms, yourself or others nearby by using significantly over charged rounds.

Also, small pistol primers are fine for fast powders in all pistol rounds, the magnum versions are only needed for cases filled with slow powder in the largest but the load data will tell you.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 29 Sep 2020, 1:23 am

Will a 357 round filled to the brim with APS450 using a small pistol primer be suitable for firing out of a Rossi lever action?

A round is a completed assembly of projectile / cartridge case / primer and propellant.

A cartridge case "full to the brim" would not allow a projectile to be seated within that case.

ADI has excellent load data available via their website.

Asking for load data online is very unwise, an uncharitable chap who was keen on improving the gene pool could tell you to fill a .308 case "to the brim" with pistol powder.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tubs » 29 Sep 2020, 4:54 pm

Apologies for the confusion, I didnt actually mean "full to the brim".

My question is simply can I use APS450 in lever action ammo?
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 29 Sep 2020, 5:06 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Will a 357 round filled to the brim with APS450 using a small pistol primer be suitable for firing out of a Rossi lever action?

A round is a completed assembly of projectile / cartridge case / primer and propellant.

A cartridge case "full to the brim" would not allow a projectile to be seated within that case.

ADI has excellent load data available via their website.

Asking for load data online is very unwise, an uncharitable chap who was keen on improving the gene pool could tell you to fill a .308 case "to the brim" with pistol powder.

I haven't tried it with .357Mag, but I load some rifle cartridges "brim full" then seat the bullet on top, it just compresses the powder. Some powders are difficult to compress much though and will push the bullet out over time.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 29 Sep 2020, 6:24 pm

In the rifle section of the adi reloading guide They are bound to list stuff for 357 rifles and if your lucky they will list your powder
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 29 Sep 2020, 7:56 pm

Tubs wrote:My question is simply can I use APS450 in lever action ammo?

Yes, you can use any powder really, the important thing is to use the right amount for the projectile weight, cartridge volume and barrel length.
For a longer barrel a slow burning powder will be able to get to a higher muzzle velocity without the initial pressure peak, faster powders are better suited to shorter barrels.

APS450 is a very fast powder so is only in the load data for pistols, maximum load is listed at around 6 grains but varies with projectile weight, it will work OK in rifles too but you might want to start around 4 grains and work up. Commercial ammunition has reduced powder loads to keep it within safety margins whether used in pistol or rifle, about 4 grains would probably match that.

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/pistol/357-magnum/
http://www.adi-powders.com.au/rifle/357-magnum/

A full case of APS450 would be around 20 grains but you'd likely only do that once and it would probably be the last round that rifle ever fires. Be careful.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition