Cast bullets and hunting

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Cast bullets and hunting

Post by Cal-ApeR » 05 Oct 2020, 6:32 pm

I recently just picked up a Rossi 92 in 44mag. Got it for a steal. I've purchased a heap of rounds but got curious as to hunting with cast bullets. I understand the velocity is down and I wouldn't expect the performance of say a Hornady xtp bullet but can they be used on our pigs etc 50-100 yards?

I have never cast but my old man used to do it regularly for his 44-40. I have access to heaps of lead but probably would buy the cast bullets for now (no real time for another hobby). Thinking 240gr....

What do you think?
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Cast bullets and hunting

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Oct 2020, 6:40 pm

Short version, yes.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2020, 6:40 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:I recently just picked up a Rossi 92 in 44mag. Got it for a steal. I've purchased a heap of rounds but got curious as to hunting with cast bullets. I understand the velocity is down and I wouldn't expect the performance of say a Hornady xtp bullet but can they be used on our pigs etc 50-100 yards?

I have never cast but my old man used to do it regularly for his 44-40. I have access to heaps of lead but probably would buy the cast bullets for now (no real time for another hobby). Thinking 240gr....

What do you think?

Of course, it's all that was used before jacketed bullets were invented.
I use a CBE .432" 250gn mould.
https://www.castbulletengineering.com.au/products/pistol-moulds/44-cal/product/3003-432-250silgc
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 05 Oct 2020, 7:04 pm

I hunted with lever action carbines when I was younger. I used proper xtp in my 357 mag and never had an issue Then I tried cast in marlin 44 mag and they performed like Fmj. Very disappointing so I stopped .....I want to die quick and clean and I think pigs deserve the same .
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Oct 2020, 7:13 pm

Blr243 wrote:I hunted with lever action carbines when I was younger. I used proper xtp in my 357 mag and never had an issue Then I tried cast in marlin 44 mag and they performed like Fmj. Very disappointing so I stopped .....I want to die quick and clean and I think pigs deserve the same .

Bullets were probably too hard.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 06 Oct 2020, 6:54 pm

Def too hard , hence my preference for soft lead in jackets
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gadge » 13 Oct 2020, 6:38 am

Blr243 wrote:Def too hard , hence my preference for soft lead in jackets

Yep; commercial hard cast are fine for paper punching, but 'pencil through' on game.

After taking on board advice from some long-time casters over on AHN, I'll be trying a 20:1 Lead/Pewter mix soonish, in a Win94 .44-40 lever I have. Bore on this one slugs at 0.428".
CBE 3 cavity 431-230FNGC mould, pan lubed and gas checked, run through Lee .429" sizer.

Starline brass is on hand; just need to get the welding bench cleared off [it doubles as a lawn mower repair bench], to set up an alloying/casting session. :lol:
Gadge
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 13 Oct 2020, 7:49 am

You will not be chasing max velocity with cast projectiles so maybe consider .44 special cases ?
Make sure they cycle before loading up a heap of them.
The Rossi is a good rifle, visit "The Rossi Rifleman" forum for excellent information.
Velcro or lace on butt pads are available, the std skinny little crescent shaped solid butt plate can be an issue.
Rossi occasionally do a production run in .454 Casull, they have a rubber butt pad, a 16" bbl .454 would be "Enough Gun" I reckon.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition