Depriming 9mm before sonic cleaning??

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Depriming 9mm before sonic cleaning??

Post by Macross » 07 Oct 2020, 11:41 pm

Im wondering if there is a better way to prep my 9mm cases. Currently I pull the powder measure off my Dillon square deal and run the cases through it to deprime them.... letting the case pass through the 4 stages and fall into the bin at the end. I take the deprimed cases then and run them through a sonic cleaner.

I am starting to wonder if it might be better to grab a cheap press just for depriming rather than running dirty cases through the square deal. Or am i just wasting time depriming before sonic cleaning?
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Depriming 9mm before sonic cleaning??

Post by rc42 » 08 Oct 2020, 12:29 am

I'm new to reloading but all my cases have been deprimed before the ultra sonic cleaner, there's quite a lot of residue under the primer that I don't like the look of as it could prevent the new primer from fully seating or partially block the hole through to the powder.

I use a bottom of the range Lee single stage press but it's very fast for depriming and resizing the cases before they go in the cleaner, once cleaned they get dried and stored till I'm ready to load them.

I've heard that some people don't bother with any case cleaning and they seem to manage OK, although those rounds are probably just for range practice or plinking.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 08 Oct 2020, 1:05 am

Myself I like to deprime everything so I get clean primer pockets and I don't make a mess on the press depriming.

I just installed a Lee APP press which is designed for brass and bullet processing. It semi automates it to speed it up and I just finished up depriming about 4000 9mm cases in a few hours. This press is a force multiplier and time saver, I love it. Probably the only thing is gunk from range brass coats the rails and dirties up the plastic feeder so about every thousand cases I needed to disconnect the spring and give everything a clean. Someone on Youtube suggested using mineral oil on the rail as well.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bugman » 08 Oct 2020, 7:43 am

Yep. Deprime first. Cleans the primer pocket really well. Also lets you check this area as you would the case walls and neck.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 08 Oct 2020, 8:46 am

I only reload rifle mate however my recommendation is to deprime first mate. If you do this then sonic clean you will get nice clean primer pockets.
Last edited by JimTom on 08 Oct 2020, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 08 Oct 2020, 9:11 am

if you can look for a cheap single stage press from somewhere and fit https://www.adelaidegunshop.com.au/ammu ... 0292-24-95
I run ALL cases through that and then either sonic or dry tumble
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Macross » 08 Oct 2020, 1:16 pm

Cheap press and universal deprimer die looks like the way to go. That Lee APP does look pretty cool too.... Quick google looks to show Ozgunmart.com.au as the only place that has them locally.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 08 Oct 2020, 11:59 pm

Macross wrote:Cheap press and universal deprimer die looks like the way to go. That Lee APP does look pretty cool too.... Quick google looks to show Ozgunmart.com.au as the only place that has them locally.

They've been selling out pretty fast in the USA since they were introduced at the beginning of the year, so it may take a while for supplies to become readily available.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Oct 2020, 2:50 pm

Bugman wrote:Yep. Deprime first. Cleans the primer pocket really well. Also lets you check this area as you would the case walls and neck.

Same here. Up until recently I just used a hammer and punch. But usually only loading a few.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition