Throat erosion relative to load density.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Throat erosion relative to load density.

Post by Skinna » 12 Oct 2020, 9:27 pm

So, throat erosion.

Im curious to know what peoples thoughts are, or if they know, will/do denser loads directly effect the rate of throat erosion to a point of severly lessening the life of the barrel/throat...i mean, technically there would be a difference, but is there a measurable one...?

For example--a direct example from one of my rifles...a 204 shooting 32's doing 3650fps with 28gr of 2208, vs the same rifle & bullet doing 4080ish from 29 gr of 2208--basically a full case, well very nearly full, it would be just a cock hair under 100% density.

Would there be much a difference in the barrel life-?-yes it will depend how the barrel is treated, but taking that as a constant, (in fact in my case its a spotlighting rifle, so the most shots it gets in a row are when im sighting in which might be 2 or 3, then another 2 after 5 or ten mins).

But for any cartridge...say another i have 22-250, say 33gr of 08 at a low node, or 36 of 08 at a higher node...assuming the barrel/throat isnt hammered by constant firing when hot, would there be much a difference in accelerated throat erosion between the loads...?

I used to think along conservative lines for load density, but ive changed my thinking more recently--mostly because im sure erosion is accelerated from shooting when barrel is hot, & so minimal in my case as a spotlighting rig where im lucky to get 2 shots in a row. (& the fact that the holdover on the hotter load in 204 is SFA on bunny's heads at 300 in no wind which is good).

So thoughts...experiences...im curious if all you guys who have changed out barrels have taken any mental or actual notes on this. :unknown:

:drinks:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Throat erosion relative to load density.

Post by marksman » 12 Oct 2020, 10:09 pm

l could post up a lot of could be should be and maybe but instead l have found is pretty good :thumbsup:
https://www.accurateshooter.com/technic ... rrel-life/

l shoot my rifles fairley hot but what l call the end is not what others may :drinks: l also like my borescope for telling the truth ;)
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition