New Lee Collet die not resizing, what!

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

New Lee Collet die not resizing, what!

Post by Paul » 15 Oct 2020, 5:13 pm

Well I finally got myself a Lee loading press (and thank you for the info an advice offered previously), a cast steel with the breech lock system - Classic Cast Breech Lock. Looks good. Got a Lee collet die in .308 and also a Redding set (including a FL and neck) for the 22/250.

However I am having some issues with the 308 Lee Collet die. I installed it as suggested and even watched some vids of others doing like wise. Seemed like I was dong everything OK.

The problem is that it does not seem to be compressing the necks in any way, and .30 cal projectiles just slide straight down the neck. I raise the ram and don't feel any resistance at all. It almost seems like the die is too long for the .308 cases.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Hoping for some wise insights :-)

Cheers,

Paul
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: New Lee Collet die not resizing, what!

Post by bladeracer » 15 Oct 2020, 5:47 pm

Paul wrote:Well I finally got myself a Lee loading press (and thank you for the info an advice offered previously), a cast steel with the breech lock system - Classic Cast Breech Lock. Looks good. Got a Lee collet die in .308 and also a Redding set (including a FL and neck) for the 22/250.

However I am having some issues with the 308 Lee Collet die. I installed it as suggested and even watched some vids of others doing like wise. Seemed like I was dong everything OK.

The problem is that it does not seem to be compressing the necks in any way, and .30 cal projectiles just slide straight down the neck. I raise the ram and don't feel any resistance at all. It almost seems like the die is too long for the .308 cases.

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Hoping for some wise insights :-)

Cheers,

Paul

You need to push it past the point that it feels like it's bottomed out. That last bit is what compresses the collet around the neck. Helps to clean and lube the collet so it moves freely in the die. If you disassemble it you might better understand how it works too.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 15 Oct 2020, 6:32 pm

The force required to size a neck by strictly compression onto the mandrel ( did I use ther correct word to describe the internal shaft.? ) Is always s going to be considerably greater than by gliding a lubed case vertically into a conventional sizeing die Crank that sucker. I had same prob first time I tried useing a lee collet die
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 15 Oct 2020, 9:52 pm

off the top of my head l start at screwing the die down til it touches the shell holder, ram up, then another 1/2 a turn try fit a bullet by hand if it isn't tight l will go another 1/8 turn at a time till l can push pull the bullet and it wont move, l have had differences because of different shell holder thickness,
l do like those dies especially if you are not neck turning :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Oct 2020, 6:50 am

As Marksman said. Keep adjusting the die until you get a couple of thou of neck tension. If you have to use some force to resize your brass, stop and reset the die. The collet dies need very little effort to do their job, if you are forcing it, you will break your sizing die.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Paul » 16 Oct 2020, 7:04 am

Thanks guys, I think I was just being a little tentative. I have now got some discernible neck tension so will go back to scratch and reposition the die at the top of the stroke and work down from there. Really appreciate the input from you all and solving my 'press newby' issue. BTW, sure beats hand sizing with the Lee hand loader and vice :-)

Cheers,

Paul
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 16 Oct 2020, 7:36 am

FWIW using an undersized mandrel is also a way of increasing neck tension, if you think you need it. You can turn them down with a drill and some fine sand paper. Spares, and even undersized variants can be found on the bay.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition