Beginner .357 Magnum Reloader

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Beginner .357 Magnum Reloader

Post by JJD » 21 Nov 2020, 6:05 am

Hey guys,
I am getting into a bit of reloading for the first time and have a few thoughts bouncing around my head. I’ve done a lot of research but can’t seem to find a few answers.

I have a Marlin 1894C .357 Magnum with an 18.5 inch barrel on the way. I have a few different brands of .357 factory ammo to use for reloading once fired, some AR2205 powder, primers and a Lee Classic 357 hand loading kit.

I’ve been looking at the ADI tables and I’m trying to decide on a projectile. My use will be solely for plinking, not hunting and not serious target shooting. I am looking at Blackwidow powder coated .158 grain projectiles. Or maybe something from HRBC.

The table lists lead bullets and jacketed bullets but I am wondering where hardcast bullets fit in? Can they be loaded with the same charge as lead cast? Or can they also go up to jacketed bullet speeds? Another thing with the ADI table, is the “starting load” the lowest you would want to go without risking a squib? Or is it just the lowest charge with decent accuracy?

My Lee kit has a .7cc dipper. With my calculations, knowing AR2205 has a VMD of .0741, the dipper should deliver 9.44 grains of 2205. The starting load for a lead projectile is 10.5. Would I be getting into trouble loading a hardcast projectile with 9.44 grains?

Sorry for the novel guys and thanks for your time and knowledge as always.

JD
JJD
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Beginner .357 Magnum Reloader

Post by SCJ429 » 21 Nov 2020, 8:51 am

Get yourself some cheap electronic scales to weigh your powder, more accurate than guessing with dippers but if you don't want to do that, under fill the dipper to get close to your load.

I have not used coated slugs but increase the speed until you start stripping the coating off the bullet and lead your barrel. Then you will know the maximum speed you can drive the bullet. Coated bullets are no where near as tough as jacketed bullets and don't like a ton of pressure on their base as you drive them up your barrel. As the reloading manual will say, start low and work your way up in speed. Inspect your fired cases for pressure signs and your barrel for fouling.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 21 Nov 2020, 10:19 am

Why not cast your own bullets? You can try a wide range of bullet designs and have the satisfaction of making your own.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 21 Nov 2020, 12:09 pm

I imagine the Marlin would also shoot .38 Special ?
If so once fired brass is a lot easier to find and less costly, you would easily get to cast bullet velocities.
Len Steele of Armoury & Ammunition Services Sth Dandenong should still have plenty of 158gn FMJ ex Vic Railways Police, not expensive and they shoot well out of my Rossi.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 21 Nov 2020, 12:48 pm

G'day JJD,
To answer your specific questions, yes you can use lead data, but why?, coated bullets from Black Widow or HRBC can be safely shot at jacketed velocities, no problem at all. The data is safe usable Minimum to safe usable Maximum and experienced reloaders may move outside listed data sometimes but we KNOW what we are doing so I would strongly suggest at your stage to stick to published limits. As you have stated your purpose clearly I would suggest that you load 1 scoop plus a visual 1/2 scoop to get around 14g of 2205 which will "plink" perfectly for you, at your stated purpose you do not need to be as accurate as a comp shooter and you are well within published limits, or get a set of Lee dippers (15 in the kit), currently $27 from Western Firearms in NSW, who are great to deal with mail order, or as SCJ429 said a cheap set of electronic scales off ebay. I used the 1 + a 1/2 method to load 308 for hunting foe several years when I was young never an issue and lots of deer. Yell out if you need anything else, happy to help (I am in the west) Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JJD » 21 Nov 2020, 1:13 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day JJD,
To answer your specific questions, yes you can use lead data, but why?, coated bullets from Black Widow or HRBC can be safely shot at jacketed velocities, no problem at all. The data is safe usable Minimum to safe usable Maximum and experienced reloaders may move outside listed data sometimes but we KNOW what we are doing so I would strongly suggest at your stage to stick to published limits. As you have stated your purpose clearly I would suggest that you load 1 scoop plus a visual 1/2 scoop to get around 14g of 2205 which will "plink" perfectly for you, at your stated purpose you do not need to be as accurate as a comp shooter and you are well within published limits, or get a set of Lee dippers (15 in the kit), currently $27 from Western Firearms in NSW, who are great to deal with mail order, or as SCJ429 said a cheap set of electronic scales off ebay. I used the 1 + a 1/2 method to load 308 for hunting foe several years when I was young never an issue and lots of deer. Yell out if you need anything else, happy to help (I am in the west) Cheers

Thanks mate you’ve answered my questions perfectly. I get the idea now that hardcast can basically be loaded as low as lead or high as jacketed? The idea of loading them low would be for economics and to stretch my powder as far as I can seeing as I am only plinking. Same reason why I am interested in hardcast as they seem to be the cheapest thing short of casting my own. I will definitely look into getting a cheap scale soon but probably start out with a scoop and a half or less and see how I go. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
JJD
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Nov 2020, 1:33 pm

Noisydad wrote:Why not cast your own bullets? You can try a wide range of bullet designs and have the satisfaction of making your own.

I would think it would be cheaper to buy a variety of commercially cast bullets first, then buy moulds of those that you liked. Buying a dozen or more moulds just to experiment with different bullet designs is going to get expensive.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 21 Nov 2020, 2:44 pm

I found with those commercials, like the HRBC, that they keyhole if you drive them much past 1600fps.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 06 Dec 2020, 9:15 am

Hi mate, if you're still after a load for the 357 I have the same rifle and have found both 5gn Trailboss and 15gn 2205 to be good plinkers. I like the copper-coated Berry's projectiles in 125gn flat-point but have also had good success using the Black Widow coated projectiles. Both are cost efficient and accurate.

For loading on the cheap a set of Lee dippers with powder chart can be had for $30 off ebay. See here for the link.

If you want to go full steam-punk apocalypse on your reloading dipper you can make yourself one by filling the bottom of a spent case with some epoxy or wood glue and letting it set, then making a handle by twisting wire (like a big paperclip) around the case and fixing in place with a drop solder, epoxy or even superglue. The charge volume is reduced by putting more epoxy in the bottom of the case.

If you're looking at getting into loading long term then I'd highly recommend a kit like the Lee Classic Cast Turret Kit. Punch 'Lee 90304' into ebay and it'll pop up. For about $500 its everything you need including scales, auto-drum powder dispenser and basic case tools.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Dec 2020, 6:54 pm

A set of cheap scales isn't a bad way to start. Just be aware they have limitations.

Since your starting and seem to be on a tight budget
here is some tips on DIY reloading gear.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13453
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JJD » 14 Dec 2020, 10:57 pm

boingk wrote:Hi mate, if you're still after a load for the 357 I have the same rifle and have found both 5gn Trailboss and 15gn 2205 to be good plinkers. I like the copper-coated Berry's projectiles in 125gn flat-point but have also had good success using the Black Widow coated projectiles. Both are cost efficient and accurate.

For loading on the cheap a set of Lee dippers with powder chart can be had for $30 off ebay. See here for the link.

If you want to go full steam-punk apocalypse on your reloading dipper you can make yourself one by filling the bottom of a spent case with some epoxy or wood glue and letting it set, then making a handle by twisting wire (like a big paperclip) around the case and fixing in place with a drop solder, epoxy or even superglue. The charge volume is reduced by putting more epoxy in the bottom of the case.

If you're looking at getting into loading long term then I'd highly recommend a kit like the Lee Classic Cast Turret Kit. Punch 'Lee 90304' into ebay and it'll pop up. For about $500 its everything you need including scales, auto-drum powder dispenser and basic case tools.

Thanks for the info! I’ll definitely be looking into getting some trailboss next. I did end up getting some cheap scales and working up my own loads and found that a heaped scoop in my 7cc dipper delivering 9.6-10 grains has been a good plinking round for me. I went with 158 grain HRBC hardcast projectiles and am also interested in trying some Berrys Jacketed projectiles soon.

Its been a lot of work with the Lee classic handloader but I’ve got to say I’m having a f***ing blast with it and shooting them just as fast as I can make them. The Marlin really puts a smile on my face :D
JJD
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by boingk » 14 Dec 2020, 11:11 pm

That's the spirit mate, good to hear you're enjoying it. They're a top rifle and you can definitely see why they're still popular over a century later.

Keep up the good stuff!
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by JJD » 14 Dec 2020, 11:25 pm

My Marlin 1894C 38/357
Attachments
ED0C749D-2039-44CB-8C0C-45750012C11B.jpeg
ED0C749D-2039-44CB-8C0C-45750012C11B.jpeg (118.37 KiB) Viewed 2806 times
JJD
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by boingk » 15 Dec 2020, 12:00 am

Very nice, love the red dot on it.

Here's my 1895 and the little Norinco 22LR above it.

Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Dec 2020, 6:57 am

JJD wrote:
Thanks for the info! I’ll definitely be looking into getting some trailboss next. I did end up getting some cheap scales and working up my own loads and found that a heaped scoop in my 7cc dipper delivering 9.6-10 grains has been a good plinking round for me. I went with 158 grain HRBC hardcast projectiles and am also interested in trying some Berrys Jacketed projectiles soon.

Its been a lot of work with the Lee classic handloader but I’ve got to say I’m having a f***ing blast with it and shooting them just as fast as I can make them. The Marlin really puts a smile on my face :D

:thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition