Trailboss and cast projectiles for .308

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Trailboss and cast projectiles for .308

Post by InisBineest » 12 Dec 2020, 12:44 pm

Anyone here reload 308 using trailboss and cast projectiles? I've done so for 45-70 and 38 special, but never for cartridge intended for higher velocities. I ask as i have a large bottle of trailboss to use up, and a Ruger No.1 in 308 on its way. All i need to do is sort out what projectile to cast really, but i'm not really sure what velocities or accuracy I should be expecting. Thinking somewhere between 1000-1400fps?

Anyone done this before who can share their experience?

Cheers!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Trailboss and cast projectiles for .308

Post by in2anity » 12 Dec 2020, 2:43 pm

Yeah I’ve done it. I used a 165gr RNFP over 14gr TB. Yielded around 2.5moa at 100m when benched, under winds. I used is for standing offhand practice.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 13 Dec 2020, 6:42 am

I’ve done it with 17 gns TB for my .30-06. Very cheap, quiet, low recoil plinking load and my ancient FN Mauser can still do minute of plough disc at 200 yards off hand.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by boingk » 13 Dec 2020, 7:38 pm

Hi mate, check out the "300 Blackout" pills from Black Widow Projectiles. They're a 230gn flat base Hitek-coated hard-cast projectile. Should be just about right for a Trailboss load and still be reasonably usefull in the field. The coating is rated up to 2000fps.

If you're looking at casting your own the world is your oyster. I'd still recommend going in the 180 to 230gn range as with low velocities you'll want a heavier (longer) projectile to help stabilise it given the fixed rifling twist rate.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by in2anity » 13 Dec 2020, 7:46 pm

The berry's 30/30 plated bullets are more accurate, and not a whole lot more expensive than the comercial lead. I can get 1moa @ 50m with them (through the 308)... that's if the wind is behaving itself.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 13 Dec 2020, 9:06 pm

boingk wrote:Hi mate, check out the "300 Blackout" pills from Black Widow Projectiles. They're a 230gn flat base Hitek-coated hard-cast projectile. Should be just about right for a Trailboss load and still be reasonably usefull in the field. The coating is rated up to 2000fps.

If you're looking at casting your own the world is your oyster. I'd still recommend going in the 180 to 230gn range as with low velocities you'll want a heavier (longer) projectile to help stabilise it given the fixed rifling twist rate.

I cast and powder coat for 38 special, and previously 45-70, but I've used Blackwidow projectiles before as well, and they are excellent! I need to work out what projectile weight to use with the 1-10" twist rate of the rifle. I understand the principle of a higher twist rate used to stabilise heavier/longer target rounds in full power loads, but i'm still getting my head around what happens when the velocity slows down, and what bullet weights might be needed.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 13 Dec 2020, 9:49 pm

Lower velocity means less effective rotation for the projectile. A heavier projectile helps counter this as it has more mass to do the gyroscopic work and more length to engage with the rifling, making it more effective.

From my reckoning a 230gn .308 projectile would be okay at 1000 to 1100fps, but ideal about 1300fps with a 1-in-10" twist.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition