Suggestions for 9mm loads using AS30N

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Suggestions for 9mm loads using AS30N

Post by Bsoamab » 20 Dec 2020, 6:09 pm

Hi everyone,

I was lucky enough to score some AS30N to use for 9MM loads.

You may have seen another thread I made with APS450N load data using blackwidow 124gn. I've since stopped using blackwidows and have used electro copper coated rn/hp 124gn projectiles and 3.9gn of APS450N. This has been a great combo and is a good mixture of snappy return and accuracy.

However, since I now have a bulk load of AS30N I'm interested to know if anyone has used this reliably for 9mm loading. I have seen the data from the ADI website but was hoping for someone with first hand information that could help me get something more specific that they have found to be reliable using AS30N and a projectile velocity that can make around 1000fps.

I'll be using 124gn RN projectile with a OAL of 1.3" which is reliable and can pass the plunk test no problems so anything smaller than that is no issue for me to pursue.

Thanks in advance for the helpful tips!

Kind regards,
Ed
Bsoamab
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Suggestions for 9mm loads using AS30N

Post by Sarco » 20 Dec 2020, 8:34 pm

I cannot give any real world experience, however I have always preferred slower powders for 9mm with 125ish gn projectiles (3.7 or AP50 and 4.0 of AP70 and even 5.5gn AP100). However as these are becoming very difficult to get hold of, I don't think there is much choice but to develop loads for the new powders (APS350 & 450) or develop with what you have been able to acquire (AS30).

Start with ADI recommendations and work from there for what is best for you, but don't be afraid to go above and maybe even below ADI advice as they do tend to be conservative, but be cautious.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 308M8 » 15 May 2021, 2:25 pm

I use 3.2gn AS30N behind a Boyne Bullets 125gn LRN with OAL at 1.169" in a 9mm 1911. No idea of the speed but cycles fine, accurate too
308M8
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Pommy al » 11 Mar 2023, 10:51 am

I have been loading 9mm with as30 successfully for years 3.2 gr is good.
Pommy al
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition