Casters in Vic

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Casters in Vic

Post by Hatchet Jack » 07 Jan 2021, 11:39 am

G'day,

I'm interested in trying my hand at casting for my muzzleloaders but it all seems a bit daunting. Keen to see if there are any others here doing it that may be willing to show the ropes/lend a hand to a new young whipper snapper, particularly in Western Vic.

Cheers

HJ
Hatchet Jack
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Casters in Vic

Post by LawrenceA » 08 Jan 2021, 9:13 pm

Hi Mate
I am about as far away as I can be from Victoria but casting is easy to do impossible to perfect. Like painting a picture.
For what it is worth I cast for about a dozen calibers from 22 to 62 as well as 12g.

Firstly use pure lead.
Are you casting Ball, minie or maxi?
What weight and calibre?
What brand mold?

Is your pot bottom pour or ladle?
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jan 2021, 9:40 pm

Pretty easy even using basic gear like I use. But can be a bit of an art.

Wear leather gloves
Safety glasses
Keep water away from molen lead
Plenty of ventilation. Open doors and widows if doing it in a shed.
Look after your moulds.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 08 Jan 2021, 9:51 pm

Oldbloke is right.
Long sleeves and pants as well.
Heat the mould a bit before starting. You can expect to throw the first few back as the mold warms up. For minies you need a slightly hotter melt and make sure the bottom plug is also hot. Lee molds heat up quick but can get too hot. Lyman and RCBS take longer to get to temp but don't overheat as easy.

With pure lead the best bullets will be really shiny with no real wrinkles or dull parts.
When you fill the mould have a puddle on top and wait till the bullet solidifies otherwise splat or at least bent bullets result.
Drop them out of the mould onto something softish like a folded tea towel as they will be soft.

Have a go and tell us how you went.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 09 Jan 2021, 6:37 am

If you’re casting round ball (and are able to cobble something together), tumbling the batch of ball is well worth it. Tumbling for 45 minutes completely removes the sprue and it no longer matters which way up the balls are loaded. Without tumbling, ball must be loaded with the sprue facing either up or down to keep the sprue concentric.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Hatchet Jack » 09 Jan 2021, 12:53 pm

Thanks for the advice guys, I don't have any casting gear myself at the moment. That's why I was hoping there would be someone local.

I would be looking to do 400 - 500 gr conicals and and when I get a slow twist down the track some round balls as well.
Hatchet Jack
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jan 2021, 2:06 pm

I don't cast often. 12G, 308 & Round ball soon. Perhaps once a year. So my equipment truly is KISS. LOL But it works for me.

Resized_20210109_145038.jpeg
Resized_20210109_145038.jpeg (239.62 KiB) Viewed 2870 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 09 Jan 2021, 2:25 pm

Another thought I thunk while casting a batch of .454 round ball today...don't hesitate to spend some money on quality molds. Lee molds may be cheap and will get you going but they sure wont last. Long term you'll spend as much on Lee molds as you would on a quality mold anyway. I have and use several Lee molds because they happen to make accurate bullets for their intended rifle BUT you"ll have way better and more predictable success with a more expensive mold.
When you consider that a better mold will cast thousands and thousands of bullets for years and years, the mold cost per bullet isn't even calculable.
You wont go wrong with brands such as Accurate Molds, Pedersoli, CBE, NEI, NOE, Lyman to name a few. There are others.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Hatchet Jack » 09 Jan 2021, 2:50 pm

Noisydad wrote:Another thought I thunk while casting a batch of .454 round ball today...don't hesitate to spend some money on quality molds. Lee molds may be cheap and will get you going but they sure wont last. Long term you'll spend as much on Lee molds as you would on a quality mold anyway. I have and use several Lee molds because they happen to make accurate bullets for their intended rifle BUT you"ll have way better and more predictable success with a more expensive mold.
When you consider that a better mold will cast thousands and thousands of bullets for years and years, the mold cost per bullet isn't even calculable.
You wont go wrong with brands such as Accurate Molds, Pedersoli, CBE, NEI, NOE, Lyman to name a few. There are others.

Whenever I can afford to get all the gear I'm going straight for high quality steel molds. That's one thing I've picked online.
Hatchet Jack
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jan 2021, 3:15 pm

Listen to Noisydad. He is the expert.

Mmm, think bigpete is into it too.
I'm an amateur. Just have a casting session occasionally.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 09 Jan 2021, 4:21 pm

As soon as casting supply shops open up again I’m about to start casting for the first time a hOllow point CBE 500 grainer for my 4570 It’s a bit daunting and it’s entered my mind to just pay someone to do it for me rather than pay somebody to teach me ...... but with a bit more online research, youtube, And if a couple of buckets of enthusiasm falls from the sky and lands in my lap , I may just get it happening myself
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Jan 2021, 4:23 pm

The pic from sir old bloke just goes to show you don’t need to lash out on gear. That stuff is already in everybody’s shed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jan 2021, 5:21 pm

Blr243 wrote:The pic from sir old bloke just goes to show you don’t need to lash out on gear. That stuff is already in everybody’s shed

Yeh, given the amount of casting I do, I could never justify buying the good gear.

I get good results but I'm not after competition type standards. Mainly just for fun.

I would encourage anyone to have a go on the cheap like i have. If you decide your keen and shoot a lot go for it and buy decent equipment.

P.S. I just use Lee moulds. They do the job but as Noisydad said, may not last as long.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 09 Jan 2021, 6:29 pm

Blr243 wrote:As soon as casting supply shops open up again I’m about to start casting for the first time a hOllow point CBE 500 grainer for my 4570 It’s a bit daunting and it’s entered my mind to just pay someone to do it for me rather than pay somebody to teach me ...... but with a bit more online research, youtube, And if a couple of buckets of enthusiasm falls from the sky and lands in my lap , I may just get it happening myself

I cast 30 and 45 Hollows for the 30-30 and 45-70 respectively.
Personally I think hollow points are a little harder.
I run it hot and fast! You need to keep that lead flowing and the mold hot.
Make sure the plug is also kept hot as it cools pretty quick.
Depending on what you are after, velocity wise, WW also works and is easier than pure lead.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 09 Jan 2021, 7:42 pm

Thanks Lawrence . I’m bound to be harassing u for tips as I get into it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 09 Jan 2021, 7:42 pm

Thanks Lawrence . I’m bound to be harassing u for tips as I get into it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 09 Jan 2021, 8:08 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks Lawrence . I’m bound to be harassing u for tips as I get into it

All good mate. :)

You are spot on with not needing much or great gear.
I started with a $25 camp stove, gravy ladle, muffin tins (for ingots) and a $3 saucepan from vinnies.
Still use most of this for making ingots but now have a bottom pour pot.

Lets face it. The process was done over a campfire by thousands for centuries.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by justdave » 26 Mar 2021, 3:53 pm

Hatchet Jack wrote:
Noisydad wrote:Whenever I can afford to get all the gear I'm going straight for high quality steel molds. That's one thing I've picked online.
id say brass would be better than steel generally.. nicer casts.. better heat retention ect. but honestly if your just starting out the cheapest aluminium will work just fone.. best to get the cheap lee molds first unless youve got money to burn and work your way up.
justdave
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Return to Reloading ammunition