.357Mag with my first lever gun...need start reload data

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

.357Mag with my first lever gun...need start reload data

Post by simmo » 11 Feb 2021, 7:15 pm

G’day all
Have picked up my first lever gun with a .357Mag (Marlin 1894C) and looking for a starting load. I’ll buy some factory rounds initially but I’m looking at reloading long term. I reload a lot for rifles but this is my first pistol caliber.

Is there any difference in the data for rifle .357Mag loads and pistol loads for starting off at?

Thanks in advance
simmo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: .357Mag with my first lever gun...need start reload data

Post by boingk » 11 Feb 2021, 8:46 pm

Use the rifle loads. Pistol are intended for pistol and powders are different due to the short barrel and fast burn required.

I like 5gn of Trailboss or 15gn of 2205 as a starting load. ADI suggest 18gn of 2205 as a starting load but see what case capacity is with 15gn first.

Those are with a 125gn Berry's projectile. Pay attention to overall length, important in a lever gun.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Blr243 » 11 Feb 2021, 8:52 pm

I may b stating the obvious but ......if u end up being a pistol Shooter ensure that u mark the hotter rifle loads, so u don’t accidentally feed them to your revolver
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 11 Feb 2021, 10:12 pm

If you have a look at the ADI loading tables the figures are largely the same for pistol or rifle loads for 357 Magnum, the peak pressure figures are the same for both and the factory loads can be used in either so that's a good starting point.
Rifles can take advantage of slower burning powders as the projectile spends longer in the barrel so you can get a higher muzzle velocity if that's what you want, however, the same loads will also work fine in a pistol, you'll just get a bigger fireball out of the muzzle which looks awesome when shooting at night.

Whatever powder you currently use just look up the starting load for any 357 mag firearm and start with that, then tune as you would your rifle loads. Slower burning powders that fill the case benefit from magnum primers, faster powders are fine with small pistol primers.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition