APS350 for .38 Super

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

APS350 for .38 Super

Post by Sarge » 24 Feb 2021, 8:19 am

I am just getting into reloading and am looking for a current pistol powered to use. The supply of APS450 is drying up, damn near impossible to get, and I am looking to start loading with APS350, does anyone use APS350? Does anyone know a reason to not use it. I intend to run it through an STI, for IPSC and Steel Challenge.
Lithgow LA101
Adler B230T
STI 2011 38 SupeR
Tanfoglio XL2
S&W 686-3
Churchill 28” Sporter
In the absence of evidence, create statistics
Sarge
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: APS350 for .38 Super

Post by Macross » 01 Mar 2021, 9:53 am

There is plenty of load data in the ADI charts for APS350 in .38 Super, so its fine. Looks like about the same to slightly less than APS450 for most of the loads.
I started to grab APS350 as well for the same reason but havnt made up a test batch yet to try it out.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: APS350 for .38 Super

Post by rc42 » 01 Mar 2021, 12:22 pm

All ADI powder supplies are disappearing so a move to a different brand may be inevitable anyway. It's likely that the powder is being shipped to the US at inflated prices to assist their flat out ammo production and short term profit is far more important that Australian customers to ADI.

There actually seems to be minimal difference between many of the ADI powders but it probably helps sales to have shooters buying lots of different types for load development. For IPSC and Steel Challenge long distance accuracy isn't a requirement so any powder that goes bang and gets the projectile out with the required power factor (if needed) will be fine.
Slower burning powders can increase muzzle velocity without increasing maximum chamber pressure if your barrel is long enough but it's very unlikely that you would notice any difference between APS350 and APS450.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition