Different brand cases - does it affect results?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Different brand cases - does it affect results?

Post by Paul » 25 Feb 2021, 7:10 pm

Hi folks,

I am wondering at the impact different brands of cases may have on the accuracy, or more so the relative accuracy for a given load.

For example, what difference, and why, would my reloaded factory Hornady cases, be compared to Win Super X factory cases with the same load?

I know in my .308 there is a difference in ADI cases (seem slightly smaller due to thicker cases??) compared to Remington, though not sure what impact any of this may have on accuracy.

So in my 22-250, does a difference in case origin affect pressures, and hence velocity and hence relative accuracy or point of impact. Both maybe accurate in their own rights, but putting the same load in different may give different POI, and hence need re-sighting depending on the cases used, maybe?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

kind regards,

Paul
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Different brand cases - does it affect results?

Post by LawrenceA » 25 Feb 2021, 7:33 pm

It will affect things.
The big question is by how much.
First there is case capacity which will affect powder capacity and pressure,
Then there are differences in Flash hole size, length and placement, which may affect ignition consistency
Also neck tension and elasticity may affect pressures .
Even neck length may change particularly if it varies over the maximum for the chamber as this will create pressure spikes.

Think they are the main possibles.
All depends on your set up and your requirements.
Shooting barns at 25 yards it won't make a difference but a fly at a thousand???
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 25 Feb 2021, 8:04 pm

abso-f*****g-lutely. There's a reason comp shooters use Lapua and Norma brass, and that's simply because they are the most consistent. Largely in the form of consistent neck tension. You won't really see it unless you are reaching out there.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 25 Feb 2021, 9:12 pm

I don’t know this myself but I just recently learned on another forum that internal volume from one brand of case to the next can vary significantly and with a warm load Ok in yourUsual cases Can cause dangerous Pressures if useing another case with different internal volume
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Feb 2021, 10:07 pm

All of the above.

I've batched my brass (all the same brand) by weight in batches of 50.
I couldn't be bothered measuring volumes so I figured that cases with less volume were likely to be heavier and vica versa. I found that my Winchester brass had weight inconsistencies... surprise surprise.
It definitely reduced my deviation from batch to batch and in turn, tightened groups.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by LawrenceA » 26 Feb 2021, 7:33 am

Blr243 wrote:I don’t know this myself but I just recently learned on another forum that internal volume from one brand of case to the next can vary significantly and with a warm load Ok in yourUsual cases Can cause dangerous Pressures if useing another case with different internal volume

This is absolutely correct.
Can be a real issue if you are loading traditional cartridges as brass these days is much thicker than pre WW2.
Not a real issue for large cases but with the likes of 22 Hornet and the XX-20's it is an issue.

So basically you cannot readily use old published loading data in new cases due to volume shifts.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bello » 27 Feb 2021, 12:27 pm

Hi mate
If you are seeking comp grade accuracy and consistency, in my experience ..yes, it will affect your group size for all the above already stated reasons.
But I have found in my rifles, when using these mixed cases out to about 200 meters, the minute of deer accuracy is good.
The comp shooters I have spoken to will use high quality brass like Lapua and Norma, they tell me this brass is more consistent in its weight and wall thickness.

I have also found, in my limited experiences with this issue, that as the caliber size went up, the inconsistency was less, bearing in mind my experiments were out to 200 meters only.

I use a lot of mixed brass in my 223, 243 and 308, as I am given heaps of it by people who do not reload, and for hunting I have not had any problems yet.
I always inspect the brass thats given to me first, any in perfections it's binned, then de-prime the brass wash it and then inspect for any issues.
My motto "If in doubt, throw it out"!!

I have had issues with Winchester brass before. It tends not to last as long as other brass I have reloaded for.
My 2c
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 27 Feb 2021, 3:51 pm

Not a target riffle shooter, but have switched to either Lapua or Norma for loading my 243.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 27 Feb 2021, 5:43 pm

in2anity wrote:abso-f*****g-lutely. There's a reason comp shooters use Lapua and Norma brass, and that's simply because they are the most consistent. Largely in the form of consistent neck tension. You won't really see it unless you are reaching out there.

my 222 will shoot clover leafs or better with norma brass , with rem brass it always has a flyer that blows the group out to half inch . not that that's bad , but it is a triple deuce :P

the smaller the case , the greater the difference brass makes i've found . with my 358 win it's not fussy at all . new starline brass or ADI , PPU resized 308 brass, doesn't seem to matter . it's one of my most accurate rifles . not much of a shoulder on the case and i beleive the neck tension between brass brands is more consistant due to the bore size . at least that's my theory ..... :D

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Feb 2021, 7:21 pm

I suspect it really gets back to what you are trying to achieve. I'm sure what the blokes above said is correct. I'm in no position to say other wise.

But,, if only hunting/shooting up to say 200 yards, I'd suggest just maintaining brands in batches they will be OK. Accuracy will be acceptable.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Feb 2021, 7:38 pm

Have you not got enough brass so you can sort them by headstamp? You can only shoot worse by mixing them up, there are enough variables without doing that.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 27 Feb 2021, 11:10 pm

if all youre doing is shooting pests/hunting at average distances then no, my hunting rounds are all loaded the same regardless of brass manufacturer and there is a negligible difference. if you are wanting comp grade or long distance hunting rounds then it will matter.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition