Ditching the powder dispenser

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Ditching the powder dispenser

Post by JimTom » 12 Mar 2021, 2:49 pm

I have been using a RCBS electronic powder dispenser for several years with good results. Decided yesterday to give my old powder thrower another run since it is still mounted on my reloading bench. I had forgotten how quick and accurate it was. I was still check weighing every load and only had 1/50 that wasn’t exact. It was 0.1gn under, which could have also been a scale error however was more than likely due to the hopper being depleted. When the hopper is full Accuracy was great especially with finer powders like BM8208 and AR2206H. Not sure I will go back to the fancy electronic dispenser. Anyone else have a preference for using either?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Ditching the powder dispenser

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Mar 2021, 4:18 pm

G'day JimTom,
I use the thrower in a progressive press set-up for bulk ammo making, and the electronic for small batch specialty ammo. For top grade target ammo I still use a dipper, trickler and balance beam to load, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 12 Mar 2021, 5:15 pm

I , for a while Back during loading development used a hornady electric dispenser but it’s slower than an old horse standing under a tree on a hot day .... so now it’s the cheap lee thrower that’s super accurate and fast as I hate reloading
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 12 Mar 2021, 5:29 pm

Had a thought, a while back, to investing in an electronic powder thrower, and am glad I didn't. I have a Redding powder thrower that, if kept clean etc, will throw a very consistent load regularly. Still check every 10 pistol load with a RCBS 10/10 scale, and that item performs very accurately too. The only other thrower I use is the one installed in my Dillon press and that too is consistent.
No electronic scales for me.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Mar 2021, 7:34 pm

Blr243 wrote:I , for a while Back during loading development used a hornady electric dispenser but it’s slower than an old horse standing under a tree on a hot day .... so now it’s the cheap lee thrower that’s super accurate and fast as I hate reloading

Sometimes if doing say more than 20 a Lee thrower then trickle up.

But usually scoop then trickle up.

Don't load heaps
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 12 Mar 2021, 8:01 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Blr243 wrote:I , for a while Back during loading development used a hornady electric dispenser but it’s slower than an old horse standing under a tree on a hot day .... so now it’s the cheap lee thrower that’s super accurate and fast as I hate reloading

Sometimes if doing say more than 20 a Lee thrower then trickle up.

But usually scoop then trickle up.

Don't load heaps

Same here
Except for the don't load heaps part.
I cant shoot enough to keep up with my loading.
It's a real problem!!! I keep running out of shells.
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 12 Mar 2021, 8:05 pm

I bought a stack of lee scoops. Handy sometimes, then trickle
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 12 Mar 2021, 10:21 pm

Loaded 50 rds of .308 and 100 rds of .223 tonight, all with Sierra match bullets intended to be accurate.
I have three powder throwers, the most expensive being a high end thing with two sliding micrometre thumb screw adjustments and swinging whacking hammer and other BS.
The cheapest is a Lee plastic poverty pack abomination, cost me $60.00 from memory.
They both do the same job and both drop charges with the same error margin, I have both set a little light [for 308 and 223] and make up charges via a trickler into the pan of an Ohaus beam scale.
My late brother had some sort of electric powder dispenser, cannot remember the brand but it was red, I tried to use it once and it was an expensive piece of crap.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 13 Mar 2021, 2:04 am

I have waffled about getting one of the new fancy electronic powder dispensers that's got bluetooth and can connect with your phone so you can control it with an app. But I've not really seen the big advantage as once the manual RCBS is dialed in, it's pretty consistent. I'm all for using tech and machines to improve tasks but often they can make it more complicated than necessary(great example: touchscreens control panels in cars these days).
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Peter988 » 13 Mar 2021, 7:55 am

I am a dinosaur. I use a teaspoon and hand trickle. Takes longer but that’s the therapy of reloading.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Larry » 13 Mar 2021, 8:04 am

Interesting POV and experiences given so far. I have found the cheap Lee powder throwers to be on par with the more expensive powder throwers. They are or can be very consistent but can also throw a wonky one every now and then. They are sensitive to how they are operated as in any shakes or rattles and just how the handle is moved quick vs slow and how much force they encounter the end stop with. I like to use a high quality electronic scale (quite expensive) and as others have said throw low and then trickle up to correct weight. I would purchase a Autotrickler if I was loading more or needed to be more efficient. These are tricklers that work in conjunction with your scales Just like the charge masters and other electronic dispensing machines only they use high quality scales and a very accurate trickler.
Not a fan of the all in one electronic dispensers they suffer from using cheaper electronic scales.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Mar 2021, 8:16 am

Peter988 wrote:I am a dinosaur. I use a teaspoon and hand trickle. Takes longer but that’s the therapy of reloading.

Lol. Same, 30 years ago.

Then upgraded to fancy DIY scoops.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13453
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 13 Mar 2021, 2:54 pm

Thanks for the replies gents. Not a huge following for the dispenser so it would seem. From memory it was not cheap when I purchased it and for a number of years I thought it to be the best thing since sliced bread. Not sure if it will get out of the box to many times this year. Using the thrower then Topping up with the trickler is still quicker than the electronic dispenser. The dispenser also had inaccuracies when using the larger stick powders as does the thrower.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by boingk » 13 Mar 2021, 11:35 pm

Nope to digital dispensers here. I've done teaspoon-n-trickle reloading, used drum wipe style setups, and finally settled on the current;

It's the Lee Auto-Drum, Lee part number 90811. Works great, good volume powder reserviour up top thats easily refilled and interchangeable drums so you can set-n-forget and simply swap out the drum if reloading another calibre and not have to stuff about and recal from scratch every time.

I've also got some Lee dippers. $30 on ebay, can't go too wrong there for the convenience of doing a quick known-weight charge. They especially make sense if you want something to use in the field, say with a hand-held press.

- boingk

EDIT: Corrected typos from cruddy phone post.
Last edited by boingk on 14 Mar 2021, 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by JimTom » 14 Mar 2021, 6:35 am

Sounds like a practical setup mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bello » 14 Mar 2021, 10:16 am

I use and electronic powder dispenser and a thrower.
Depends on how much time I want to spend reloading.
The electronic dispenser is usually 0.1 grain less then what I dial in. Very frustrating.
so I use a trickler to make up the difference.
When using the thrower I will check the amount of powder being dispensed on the electronic scale every 5 to 10 throws.
For hunting within 200 meters or so I haven't found a difference.
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 14 Mar 2021, 8:53 pm

JimTom wrote:Sounds like a practical setup mate.

That's the aim my good man.

Part of the reason I went turret press and auto-drum is I can easily load away, clunking out completed and safe rounds. If I have to get up to tend to something I can do so safely and come back where I left off - or not - if I desire more rounds.

As Bello said above, inside 200m it doesn't make a difference to me. I can land 5 shots in 15 seconds from my Ruger American 308 into a 4" spread at 200m so any critters running away are on me, not the combo.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by in2anity » 15 Mar 2021, 8:13 am

Yes the electronic dispensers are often out by 0.1gr. Then again, most throwers will be out by more than this (facilitating the need to secondarily trickle as many here have highlighted). My goal is to "automate everything", and the electronic dispenser does away with the need to secondarily trickle.

Unless you are competing in higher-than-club level F-class, I can assure you 0.1gr is a fairly insignificant variance. I've been told by high level competitors from both F and TR camps that so long as you are on your harmonic "sweet spot", up to a 0.5gr variance is pretty hard to observe. I don't allow that much personally, but I'm not at all worried about 0.1gr variance.

I will use a thrower when the match I am preparing for does not demand a high level of precision, and just stomach the variance. Which is pretty much all of club-level Service Rifle :lol: Supported, scoped-rifle matches, I use the Electronic because 95% of dispenses are under 0.1gr, which is just fine for long range.
Last edited by in2anity on 15 Mar 2021, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JohnV » 15 Mar 2021, 9:50 am

I use a Redding BR powder thrower and it will still work clamped to a tree stump if necessary . Target quality projectiles are more important to small groups than micro measured powder loads .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 15 Mar 2021, 12:14 pm

Blr243 wrote:I bought a stack of lee scoops. Handy sometimes, then trickle

That’s my method for reloading . I’ve been using a old black case hornady set of digital scales for a few years, and they have been pretty good
But I bought a RCBS beam scale at the Militaria show at Belmont on the weekend. For small batches of hunting ammo I think it’s very precise
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2021, 2:01 pm

With practice its surprising how consistent you can throw with scoops.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 15 Mar 2021, 3:52 pm

I think if I wanted scoops I would have become a newspaper reporter. :lol:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 15 Mar 2021, 6:27 pm

Bugman wrote:I think if I wanted scoops I would have become a newspaper reporter. :lol:

i dunno , when i hear "scoops" , i think of ice cream ! :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by snag » 15 Mar 2021, 6:37 pm

A "magnum" maybe?
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Mar 2021, 6:47 pm

snag wrote:A "magnum" maybe?

caramel ? :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 15 Mar 2021, 6:47 pm

bigrich wrote:
Bugman wrote:I think if I wanted scoops I would have become a newspaper reporter. :lol:

i dunno , when i hear "scoops" , i think of ice cream ! :lol:

Bahahahaha me too mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Mar 2021, 7:09 pm

I'm a caramel boy. Lol.

Just slightly off topic.lol
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by justdave » 26 Mar 2021, 7:22 am

i think both types of powder loader are very accurate. probably alot of accurate than the equipmebt commercial prodicers fill their ammo with.
justdave
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by JohnV » 27 Mar 2021, 11:07 am

justdave wrote:i think both types of powder loader are very accurate. probably alot of accurate than the equipmebt commercial prodicers fill their ammo with.

I agree , any hand loading technique is going to be an improvement in accuracy over the majority of factory ammo .
Your going slow and loading with more precision and testing in your own gun to customize the results . I personally have never seen factory ammo that shoots as well as my hand loads but then again I have not tested a lot of brands either as many brands now are far better than they were years ago . The quality of projectiles loaded into some factory brands has improved heaps .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition