Casting boolits

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Casting boolits

Post by Aster » 19 May 2014, 9:48 pm

All sorted mate.

I merged the few posts from your second account into the original with your avatar.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by von_klitzing » 21 May 2014, 9:19 am

Moving on... Hand lubed 60 odd projectiles last night, took ages lol. The beeswax and moly combo wouldn't stay liquid for long and was too hot to touch once it was anyway. So I did it cold and it worked ok just warming up while rubbing it into the lube grooves. Will get quicker as I go I guess. I definitely need to do some reading on all the methods of lubing as this was painful!
I'm home with the kids for a couple of days so I will slowly crack the rest out :)
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by von_klitzing » 31 May 2014, 12:57 am

Finally have a finished product.
Saeco Redding #445 220gr SWBB, 23-25gr ADI 2205, CCI primers, and Magtech brass.
One problem is my Chamber OAL measures 1.75" yet the max COAL is 1.61". If I seat the bullet to the former measurement, the brass won't reach the crimp groove. hmmm. Will see how it turns out.
I'm heading out to do some shooting this morning. :)

von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 31 May 2014, 6:47 am

Pay off day for all your new learnin'! Your gunna have fun! 14 thou difference in COAL isn't very much and may not make any change in accuracy. Better look for any lead stripping after the first few shots though to be safe.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by von_klitzing » 31 May 2014, 7:12 am

Hehe, that's .140" there Noisy. Yep I'll be keeping a keen eye out for lead deposits ;) though it's in a lever action so may not be so easy without gaining some attention.
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by von_klitzing » 31 May 2014, 8:17 pm

Well, turns out my loads were a huge fail. I fired one round and had a massive cloud of smoke come out the muzzle, with a really deep boom lol. 23gr of AR2205 is for Jacketed bullets, not cast lead bullets, so loaded these rounds way too hot (the cartridges and primers could take it, but it just didn't burn the powder).... I was pretty chaffed about my casts that I didn't even realize my mistaken load data. So according to ADI I should really be using AS30N or AP70N. However, AR2205 can still be used for magnum rounds, so do you think it could be possible to get an effective round with a reduced load?? Eg. For .357 magnum a cast lead bullet is loaded 4 gr lighter than the same weight factory bullet using AR2205 (see 158gr. in the table) http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... 357+Magnum
Effectively I would still like to try to use the AR2205 in this caliber so I'm not having to buy another bucket o' powder...
Also, I've been reading some people use https://www.loaddata.com/ for reference, and it's supposed to have pretty much everything you'd want on the site. Does anyone use this? Would you recommend subscribing?
Cheers.
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bark » 02 Jun 2014, 2:23 pm

Bummer :(

So what happens to your cast bullets with the jacketed amount of powder?

Just spits out a glob of lead does it?
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by keen » 02 Jun 2014, 2:24 pm

Bugger von :(

What's to do with your cast bullets now then? I guess you can pull them and re fill the brass? Melt and redo the bullet?
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Fujix » 02 Jun 2014, 2:25 pm

von_klitzing wrote:Image

Can't fault your workmanship, they look great!

Fingers crossed for them shooting the business when you're powder charge is sorted out.
Barrett M82 .50 calibre... Ok, not really :(
Fujix
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by von_klitzing » 02 Jun 2014, 9:00 pm

Bark wrote:Bummer :(

So what happens to your cast bullets with the jacketed amount of powder?

Just spits out a glob of lead does it?

keen wrote:Bugger von :(

What's to do with your cast bullets now then? I guess you can pull them and re fill the brass? Melt and redo the bullet?

I'll be pulling the projectiles and recovering as much powder as possible, and reloading to a lower amount of grains. That one round I did fire hit the target about 6 inches from center, but I didn't recover the bullet. I'm not a fan of digging holes lol. It looks as though there were no deformities in the bullet.
I guess it's all part of the learning process, test and adjust.

Fujix wrote:
Can't fault your workmanship, they look great!

Fingers crossed for them shooting the business when you're powder charge is sorted out.

Thanks :) Yep, a bit more research on a few questions that have popped up and I'll have another go. I don't get to go back to the range for 3 weeks so plenty of time to get the theory and reloading side of things sorted.
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Fujix » 02 Jun 2014, 9:19 pm

I'm interested to hear the result if you get back to post updates ;)
Barrett M82 .50 calibre... Ok, not really :(
Fujix
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by von_klitzing » 02 Jun 2014, 9:23 pm

Fujix wrote:I'm interested to hear the result if you get back to post updates ;)

Will do. That's half the fun!
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition