Hornady TAP 60gr .223 is no more

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Hornady TAP 60gr .223 is no more

Post by zhuk » 26 Mar 2021, 7:51 pm

Well, this is unfortunate news. Was at HPGS today picking up some .22 ammo, and while there asked about Hornady TAP 60gr urban .223, which is the ONLY ammo my Tikka will shoot - seriously the only one, for some weird reason. Tried 55gr nope. 62gr nope. 69gr nope; even though it's a 1:8 twist which everyone advised me to get based on the range of projectile weights it is meant to be able to handle lol

Apparently Hornady are no longer importing it due to our miniscule market share, or that was the stated reason :roll: So I'm faced with reloading rifle for the first time...ever (have been reloading handgun for 10 years)

The projies are V-max I believe and there is the swaging of the pinned primer pockets to get around (I have fktn of brass heh) But the likelihood of duplicating factory powders would be minimal nil i'd guess. So what would be the best way of working out not only a load but a powder? Apologies for complete cluelessness :)
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Hornady TAP 60gr .223 is no more

Post by No1Mk3 » 26 Mar 2021, 8:24 pm

G'day zhuk,
If you want to duplicate factory as near as possible you will first need to know what velocity you get from your rifle with the TAP, then load a common powder for the projectile such as Benchmark 1, to achieve an equivalence with the projectile. That much is simple, but you can then tweak the load to achieve better results if you want to. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2021, 8:25 pm

zhuk wrote:Well, this is unfortunate news. Was at HPGS today picking up some .22 ammo, and while there asked about Hornady TAP 60gr urban .223, which is the ONLY ammo my Tikka will shoot - seriously the only one, for some weird reason. Tried 55gr nope. 62gr nope. 69gr nope; even though it's a 1:8 twist which everyone advised me to get based on the range of projectile weights it is meant to be able to handle lol

Apparently Hornady are no longer importing it due to our miniscule market share, or that was the stated reason :roll: So I'm faced with reloading rifle for the first time...ever (have been reloading handgun for 10 years)

The projies are V-max I believe and there is the swaging of the pinned primer pockets to get around (I have fktn of brass heh) But the likelihood of duplicating factory powders would be minimal nil i'd guess. So what would be the best way of working out not only a load but a powder? Apologies for complete cluelessness :)

I still have a few thousand 62gn TAP, which is definitely not a VMax, it's a soft-point bullet. VMax is a ballistic tip. Have you tried the 80gn ELDM? It shoots well in my 8"-twist. I haven't seen any Hornady brass with crimped primers. If they are crimped I just use a 10mm drill bit to remove it. Leave the drill press running and tap the drill with the cases for second, very quick way to get through hundreds of them.
Last edited by bladeracer on 26 Mar 2021, 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Mar 2021, 8:27 pm

For powders I'd try AR2206H, BM8208, or AR2208.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Mar 2021, 8:19 am

Your Tikka will shoot well with any number of bullets. You could try weights of bullets from 40 grain to 80 grain. If you cannot get Hornady Vmax or Speer TNT to shoot then you are not trying. I have found the Speer TNT to be particularly accurate for a budget hunting bullet.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 27 Mar 2021, 10:34 am

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day zhuk,
If you want to duplicate factory as near as possible you will first need to know what velocity you get from your rifle with the TAP, then load a common powder for the projectile such as Benchmark 1, to achieve an equivalence with the projectile. That much is simple, but you can then tweak the load to achieve better results if you want to. Cheers.

Thanks No1Mk3 :thumbsup: Great that gives me something to go on, definitely. Looks like borrowing my pistol club secretary's chrono might be in my future heh
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 27 Mar 2021, 10:48 am

bladeracer wrote:
zhuk wrote:Well, this is unfortunate news. Was at HPGS today picking up some .22 ammo, and while there asked about Hornady TAP 60gr urban .223, which is the ONLY ammo my Tikka will shoot - seriously the only one, for some weird reason. Tried 55gr nope. 62gr nope. 69gr nope; even though it's a 1:8 twist which everyone advised me to get based on the range of projectile weights it is meant to be able to handle lol

I still have a few thousand 62gn TAP, which is definitely not a VMax, it's a soft-point bullet. VMax is a ballistic tip. Have you tried the 80gn ELDM? It shoots well in my 8"-twist. I haven't seen any Hornady brass with crimped primers. If they are crimped I just use a 10mm drill bit to remove it. Leave the drill press running and tap the drill with the cases for second, very quick way to get through hundreds of them.

Cheers bladeracer :)

Yeah the 60gr projectiles are polymer-tipped and flat based, different from the 62 grainers. Having not reloaded as yet, I've only tried different factory weights up to what's available (ie 69gr) and they were increasingly shotgun groups - until I tried the TAP ammo.

Going by this thread, it appears the primers are 'staked'...I'd imagine due to the rounds being designed for law enforcement semis. Thanks for the advice re removing them :thumbsup:

https://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11885

zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 27 Mar 2021, 10:51 am

bladeracer wrote:For powders I'd try AR2206H, BM8208, or AR2208.

Thanks for the suggestions. Think I have some 2208 somewhere from a previously stalled attempt at reloading .303 lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 27 Mar 2021, 11:12 am

SCJ429 wrote:Your Tikka will shoot well with any number of bullets. You could try weights of bullets from 40 grain to 80 grain. If you cannot get Hornady Vmax or Speer TNT to shoot then you are not trying. I have found the Speer TNT to be particularly accurate for a budget hunting bullet.

Well you'd think so, wouldn't you :roll: lol

I was trying a range of ammo that day, bearing in mind this is just off the shelf stuff but jesus the groups were ugly until the 60gr lol. I'm target shooting as well, not hunting. Military matches so often rapids and 3 sec snap comps from 100-300m (occasionally 500m, where the tap stuff did great) My club has a 'field class' where non milsurps can be used.

TAP ammo uses a V-max so it obviously works :)
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 27 Mar 2021, 2:28 pm

The bullets in your factory ammo would be able to produce excellent groups, it is just that they need to go at a different speed to realise their potential. If you don't reload, you are in the same position as rimfire shooters where you are looking for a factory loads that suit your barrel.

I would bet that one load development session using a Speer TNT would produce the best groups you have ever shot from your Tikka.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 27 Mar 2021, 8:06 pm

SCJ429 wrote:The bullets in your factory ammo would be able to produce excellent groups, it is just that they need to go at a different speed to realise their potential. If you don't reload, you are in the same position as rimfire shooters where you are looking for a factory loads that suit your barrel.

I would bet that one load development session using a Speer TNT would produce the best groups you have ever shot from your Tikka.

For a complete noob I appreciate the explanation, SCJ429 :)

So whatever projectile I choose, be it the 60gr v-Max or 55gr Speer TNT that you suggest, its going to be a matter of finding and adjusting the powder to suit, got it.

And I hear you on the rimfire thing, just found out that my newly acquired 1986 Brno likes SK Match, and not bog-standard CCI like all my other .22s (damn lol)

zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 28 Mar 2021, 1:08 pm

Sweet as. :thumbsup:
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 28 Mar 2021, 2:14 pm

Cheers Bugman :mrgreen:
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 02 Apr 2021, 9:47 am

Just an interesting follow-up to the loss off TAP 60gr. At Safari the other day and found out the reason for its disappearance - the .223 ammo was a custom order from - get this - Portuguese law enforcement? :wtf: who reneged on the deal so Hornady decided to disperse it at a bargain-basement price to the civilian community

We were lucky to get it so cheap while it lasted...if it was ever manufactured again, would go for $45/box instead of $18 lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition