Slow powder + fast powder = medium powder?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Slow powder + fast powder = medium powder?

Post by buster » 30 Mar 2014, 3:18 pm

Just curious about this. Not going to do anything stupid or blow myself up ;)

It's been said here some manufacturers have blended powders in their factory ammo.

Theoretically, if you have a mixed a bottle of slower 2209 with a bottle of faster 2206H, would it burn at a speed similar to 2208 which is between the two?

Just theoretically...
Mossberg MVP Varmint .223 Rem
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

Howa 1500 Stainless .308 Win
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Slow powder + fast powder = medium powder?

Post by Apollo » 30 Mar 2014, 4:18 pm

You are not a manufacturer, you don't have the facilities to experiment.

DON'T DO IT!

Simple, DON'T if you have any regard for your own safety.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by 5Tom » 30 Mar 2014, 4:33 pm

+1 Apollo!

A powder granule has one set combustible property. Mixing it with another of a different blend will not change anything.

You won't turn water into sand by adding dirt.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 30 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

Firstly I understand you said you're not trying to blow yourself up so I'll comment for the benifit of anyone else who may read this and try it. Not that I think too many people would. There are shooters who blend black powder but you'd have to know exactly what you're doing

In its simplest form powder burn rates can be controlled by granular size (surface area to volume ratio) powders vary but this is for example.

Small granules ( or flakes like some pistol powders) burn faster, large long sticks burn slower.

Mixing the two (even if it was popular) could cause inconsistent burn due to irregular granularity dispersion in a charge. Eg: one case settles more than another meaning all the fast burning small granules settle to the bottom where the primer is. This case burns differently to another where the different powders are equally distributed inside the case.

It would be like putting different primers in all your cases and expecting them to shoot the same (they wouldn't)

Rest assured the companies that make and test powders have your best interest at heart both in your accuracy and your safety. They develop powders to cover every possible situation safely.

There are no shortcuts. If you don't have the correct powder for your case/bullet combo buy it. It's not worth damaging your equipment or worse hurting yourself for the sake of a trip to the gunshop

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by buster » 30 Mar 2014, 5:03 pm

No need for concern Apollo.

I have no intention of doing it. Just asking re: if that's how it's done by the factory ammo brands.

Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by jeebo » 30 Mar 2014, 5:05 pm

Chronos wrote:In its simplest form powder burn rates can be controlled by granular size (surface area to volume ratio) powders vary but this is for example.

For OP,

Perfect example recently discussed here, talking trail boss powder density.

Scroll down 3-4 posts to Monty's picture.
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by buster » 30 Mar 2014, 5:06 pm

Chronos wrote:Mixing the two (even if it was popular) could cause inconsistent burn due to irregular granularity dispersion in a charge. Eg: one case settles more than another meaning all the fast burning small granules settle to the bottom where the primer is. This case burns differently to another where the different powders are equally distributed inside the case.

I'm with you, thanks Chronos.

That what the kind of issue I was interested in.

Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bunnybuster » 31 Mar 2014, 3:48 pm

Read your reloading manual,don't try blending powders--Slow powder + Fast powder = DISASTER.

Be safe BB.
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition