Pistol powder now all gone in SE QLD

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Pistol powder now all gone in SE QLD

Post by rc42 » 10 Apr 2021, 8:11 pm

A sad day, pistol powders are no longer in stock in Brisbane gun stores and this may just be the first thing to disappear completely as part of the global impact of the US shortages.

ADI have stopped producing them and according to Facebook the last of their stocks have been shipped from the factory. Imports from the US just aren't happening and who knows when they will be back.
There may still be some smaller bottles of pistol powder on the shelves of rural dealers but the main Brisbane stores are now backorder only with no timeframes for delivery.

Fortunately, with pistols a little goes a long way and even the small 500g bottles of APS350 can reload around 2,000 rounds of 9mm or 38 Special at 3.5gr each.
I hope everyone here has enough personal stock for the 'foreseeable future' to use an ADI quote.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: Pistol powder now all gone in SE QLD

Post by Blr243 » 10 Apr 2021, 8:25 pm

For sale. One tin of bullseye $ 3750.00 ..Just laying around and one tin of unique$ 5400.oo it’s more expensive because I prefer to keep it for my 4570. Prices are firm ......not interested in selling my trailboss
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SwissMiss » 11 Apr 2021, 1:34 am

Thales Group has better things to worry about than the miniscule amount of money 'pistol powder' brings in.

Incase you weren't aware, Thales Australia signed a 10yr $1.1 billion deal for munitions.
https://asiapacificdefencereporter.com/ ... -contract/

Put that in perspective with their largest year yet with regards to munitions which only amounted to $30 million.
https://www.thalesgroup.com/en/australi ... -munitions

Unfortunately it looks likes ADI is on the governments side.
http://www.australian-munitions.com.au/ ... -the-year/
SwissMiss
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by SwissMiss » 11 Apr 2021, 1:37 am

Also read between the lines, this is another step further towards the governments ultimate goal of disarming of civilians.

Ask yourself, do you honestly think governments like that civilians have access to the tools, resources and knowledge to produce their own ammunition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrFVtmRXrw
SwissMiss
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 11 Apr 2021, 7:37 am

SwissMiss wrote:Also read between the lines, this is another step further towards the governments ultimate goal of disarming of civilians.

Ask yourself, do you honestly think governments like that civilians have access to the tools, resources and knowledge to produce their own ammunition?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZrFVtmRXrw

Hmmm tinfoil.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2021, 9:10 am

Blr243 wrote:For sale. One tin of bullseye $ 3750.00 ..Just laying around and one tin of unique$ 5400.oo it’s more expensive because I prefer to keep it for my 4570. Prices are firm ......not interested in selling my trailboss

after umming and ahhing i bought some 2209 yesterday . only 2209 available around brissy . i gotta do a lot of shooting . it's a 4kg bottle........ :P
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 11 Apr 2021, 12:08 pm

ADI are still producing rifle powders so the AR range will get re-stocked after the current 'panic buying' of all powder types eases off, it's only the pistol powders no longer being made or imported into Australia.

I was at a shoot today, several people mentioned that they had been unable to get pistol powder in the last week, whether for themselves or friends that asked them to check their local stores and many were talking about possible loads using rifle powders instead.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 11 Apr 2021, 12:48 pm

Now this is just water cooler gossip.

As far as I know ADI doesn't make any pistol ammo. And to my knowledge most if not all used for Government departments is shipped in. Honestly pistol ammo is a very small market compared to rifle type calibre's.

Id say its just not something its worth the company producing if there having troubles with it. There rifle powders are in huge demand and they may as well shift to that and pursue it.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Apr 2021, 2:01 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Now this is just water cooler gossip.

As far as I know ADI doesn't make any pistol ammo. And to my knowledge most if not all used for Government departments is shipped in. Honestly pistol ammo is a very small market compared to rifle type calibre's.

Id say its just not something its worth the company producing if there having troubles with it. There rifle powders are in huge demand and they may as well shift to that and pursue it.

you may be right . in the world of big business and global corporations profitability is the first consideration :roll:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 11 Apr 2021, 2:42 pm

The recreational consumer would be a pretty small part of ADI's business, at the end of the day there real dollarydoos come from government contracts. Plus on top of this pistol ammo is usually such a small part of Government ammunition use compare to rifle and larger calibres. The economy of scale would be so hard to fight to make such a small product line.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 11 Apr 2021, 3:09 pm

It would be interesting to know who uses ADI pistol powders other than civilian reloaders, I would expect security and police to meet their needs using factory ammo from dealers, none of which use ADI powder as far as I know. This was actually mentioned as an issue when the dealers were all shut down due to Covid and nobody could buy ammo.
It is likely that the Australian armed forces manufacture their own pistol ammo, I've heard that the US army do so they may be the big purchaser of pistol powders. They will also have an expiry date after which old ammo needs to be replaced which will keep the production lines running.

ADI claim that they manufacture pistol powders only for the Australian government and domestic reloaders, they also say that they only export rifle powders to a single customer (Hogdgon?) and only after domestic needs have been met. I have no reason to believe this to be untrue so will accept it unless there is evidence to the contrary, the mumblings around the water cooler from under somebody's tin foil hat certainly do not count as evidence.

Switching over their plant to rifle powder production probably would be more profitable but again, without evidence to the contrary, their statement that they are unable to get a stable burn rate for faster powders due to temperature and humidity has to be believed.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 11 Apr 2021, 3:48 pm

rc42 wrote:It would be interesting to know who uses ADI pistol powders other than civilian reloaders, I would expect security and police to meet their needs using factory ammo from dealers, none of which use ADI powder as far as I know. This was actually mentioned as an issue when the dealers were all shut down due to Covid and nobody could buy ammo.
It is likely that the Australian armed forces manufacture their own pistol ammo, I've heard that the US army do so they may be the big purchaser of pistol powders. They will also have an expiry date after which old ammo needs to be replaced which will keep the production lines running.

ADI claim that they manufacture pistol powders only for the Australian government and domestic reloaders, they also say that they only export rifle powders to a single customer (Hogdgon?) and only after domestic needs have been met. I have no reason to believe this to be untrue so will accept it unless there is evidence to the contrary, the mumblings around the water cooler from under somebody's tin foil hat certainly do not count as evidence.

Switching over their plant to rifle powder production probably would be more profitable but again, without evidence to the contrary, their statement that they are unable to get a stable burn rate for faster powders due to temperature and humidity has to be believed.

Im yet to see any australian made pistol ammo. Everything ive seen or used was mainly Winchester. So possibly since they shut down ops here there was less of a need for powders.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 12 Apr 2021, 2:02 pm

I have a couple of bottles of APS350 pistol/shotgun powder, they have "Made in Australia" printed clearly on them, if this were imported and re-branded it would be illegal for ADI to state that.
You're right now though, there is currently no pistol powder being made in Australia and won't be for the "foreseeable future"
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 12 Apr 2021, 4:57 pm

rc42 wrote:I have a couple of bottles of APS350 pistol/shotgun powder, they have "Made in Australia" printed clearly on them, if this were imported and re-branded it would be illegal for ADI to state that.
You're right now though, there is currently no pistol powder being made in Australia and won't be for the "foreseeable future"

I'm more talking about factory ammo. Cant for the life of me think of any Australian pistol ammo. Don't know if the Winchester factory made it here before it shut down.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 14 Apr 2021, 8:17 am

Ive never seen any Aust. made factory pistol ammo. I only shoot pistols, dont even have an A,B license so this pistol powder shortage really hits hard for me. I was speaking to local gun shop owner and he said Nioa had 180'ish bottles of Alliant pistol powder one day, and zero the next after the ADI announcement that they were ceasing manufacture of APS powders. So dealers have cleaned them out over night and most likely be the last of the imported powder for a while given the state of things in the US.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 15 Apr 2021, 5:20 pm

I'd love to see vihtavuori back on Aussie shelves
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by gunnnie » 17 Apr 2021, 7:48 pm

Have managed to source 4kg of APS450, so I'll be right for my two 38Supers for a little while.
Grabbed 2kg of APS350 week, so have enough to use as a fall back one the 450 is used.
If all else fails, I'll use Alliant RedDot, Blue Dot & Unique, as these powders are readily available.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 17 Apr 2021, 9:59 pm

Any Alliant pistol powders won't be around for long, they aren't being imported and the news about ADI stopping pistol powder production has apparently resulted in dealers stripping the shelves at the importers. If you find some stock at a dealer (rural dealers should still be OK) it will likely be the last that they are able to get hold of for a long time.

I've never even seen APS450 but I tend to use the high volume dealers and things disappear fast from their stock, I did get a small bottle of AS50N which I believe is the older powder that APS450 replaced and is reportedly similar to use.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 17 Apr 2021, 10:39 pm

Was told that Alliant powders were still being imported. Shipment turned up in Brisbane last month, another due next month.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 18 Apr 2021, 7:44 pm

I hope you are right...

I heard that imports had stopped because reloading supplies are diverting to US factory ammo production, I also heard that the entire stocks of Alliant and other imported pistol powders that importers such as Nioa were holding got bought up by dealers following the ADI announcement that they were ending pistol powder production.

Stores that have online inventory are showing no stock for pistol powders and the ones I've visited have no ETA for replacing that stock. Hopefully that will change as soon as next month.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Apr 2021, 6:07 pm

Does this mean that Alliant are the only people offering pistol powders in aistralalia ? If so , surely market forces, supply and demand, somebody else will kick in. Surely it’s economicallly suitable for another party ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 27 Apr 2021, 6:12 am

Blr243 wrote:Does this mean that Alliant are the only people offering pistol powders in aistralalia ? If so , surely market forces, supply and demand, somebody else will kick in. Surely it’s economicallly suitable for another party ?

These days are weird. Someone might eventually but i think those people across the pond have created such high demand any form of natural equilibrium is shot mind the pun.

CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition