Favourite 223 load

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Favourite 223 load

Post by headspace » 30 Mar 2014, 4:46 pm

As I'm about to take delivery of a 223 heavy barrel Howa, I'd be interested in hearing about some good loads for that cartridge. Thinking of starting off with a 55gn Sierra Game King Winchester brass a 2206H. Any thoughts?
JD :idea:
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Favourite 223 load

Post by handofcod » 30 Mar 2014, 4:54 pm

What twist barrel?
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SendIt » 30 Mar 2014, 5:01 pm

Looking at game kinds you're obviously after hunting/varmint loads then?

Not match bullets?

Barrel twist like HOC asked too would be good, no point giving you weights which are too long for it to handle.

Let me know and I'll dig out the ole' recipe book.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 30 Mar 2014, 9:37 pm

1 in 12 twist as far as I know, which kind of limits me to 55 gn bullets. That's OK though because field use will be restricted to dogs, foxes and pussy cats. Later I'll get some match bullets most likely Sierra match Kings 52gn. I can't see me shooting dogs any further than a couple of hundred yards. The rifle will have a Leopold 4-12x 40 on top.
JD
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 30 Mar 2014, 9:47 pm

Think about some 52gr Berger FB or even for initial testing the 52gr Nosler SHOTS which are cheap but still accurate. Work up to around 25.5gr of Benchmark 2 and then play seating depth. They have worked very accurately here in both a 1:9 twist CZ 527 and 1:12 twist Sako 85, both Varmint Barrels.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 31 Mar 2014, 7:49 am

headspace wrote:As I'm about to take delivery of a 223 heavy barrel Howa, I'd be interested in hearing about some good loads for that cartridge. Thinking of starting off with a 55gn Sierra Game King Winchester brass a 2206H. Any thoughts?

55 grain Sierras seem to be a good all round choice and many swear by them, no point in trying different projectiles unless the accuracy of the Sierras is woeful. I am using them as a crow and wallaby load out to 350 in my Howa sporter with 2206H, the load is nowhere near the listed maximum on the ADI website.

I was talked into trying BM2 but didn't see any gains over 2206H and have switched back as I personally believe 2206H to be more consistant over a range of temperatures.

55 grainers are plenty big enough for hunting in most situations, you would need a good reason to go any heavier(or better still a different calibre).

A 1:12 twist is fine, faster twists and heavier bullets means more pressure on the firearm and is totally un neccesary in 99% of hunting situations.

My Howa is lent out to others and I have stayed away from seating projectiles close to the lands in my .223 as there is a risk of jamming the projectile into the lands then unloading a live round leaving the projectile jammed and spilling powder through the action. I crimp instead.

I end up with a lot of factory ammo as well and the howa is pretty accurate whatever is run through it really.

At 300m the gain from a greater BC projectile is virtually nil in real world terms.

Just my humble opinions.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by handofcod » 31 Mar 2014, 8:03 am

I've only ever used 8208 in my 223's and I've had great success. Give it a try!
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by buster » 31 Mar 2014, 2:53 pm

A mates load here for this Howa .223.

55gr Sierra GK with 25gr 2206 powder.

I have another too, will post back when I can get hold of him.
Mossberg MVP Varmint .223 Rem
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

Howa 1500 Stainless .308 Win
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by buster » 31 Mar 2014, 2:56 pm

Got hold of my other mate

He uses same load except with 55gr Nosler Ballistic Tip Varmints.
Mossberg MVP Varmint .223 Rem
Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40

Howa 1500 Stainless .308 Win
Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40
buster
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by headspace » 31 Mar 2014, 9:59 pm

Thanks men, I got hold of some 53gn Norma factory stuff today, bought 60 rounds. I'm a big fan of Norma cases, so I'll give the 55GK's run. There's plenty of food for thought and plenty of different ideas to try here. Keep the good stuff coming.
Thanks,
John
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Apollo » 31 Mar 2014, 10:29 pm

Warrigul wrote " have switched back as I personally believe 2206H to be more consistant over a range of temperatures."

My discussions with the Ballistician from ADI is that your belief may be in your own mind. Their powders exibit the same temperture stability across the range of powders and that's what they were designed to do. Other factors at play here I would believe if that's the result you experience over all.

There are a couple of mentions in this thread that I have to think about.

"Only ever used 8208", well that's only been available for a couple of years, "2206" I hope the "H"got left off as the old AR2206 went out of production some time ago and the replacement AR2206H is not the same powder.

There is a close range in powder equivalent in AR2206, AR2206H and Benchmark 2 but they are all different and need to not only be tested for powder load weight, velocity and bullet seating depth before you can say one is better or worse than the other. Many a fine tuning can be resolved by just a tiny change in any component that works better with that load like, brand of primer, type of primer, neck tension, reloading technique, the actual firearm, the bullet type and shape, the quality of bullets used etc etc.

Get the combination right and you may say the other powder didn't work but did you spend enough time evaluating the whole mixture.

The distance you favour to shoot another huge factor. Remember these powders have different properties and hence use the wrong mix and it will not suit your style. Change bullet manufacturer and or shape same story, different results.

I don't see how some of these statements can be correct like "I use a 55gr XXX and that powder doesn't give me the results I get from XXX powder. Too many variables unless you can do a very restrictive and complicated test proceedure over a varying number of conditions.

What works for one doesn't often work for another, even the same firearm.

Always, do you own load development, take what other people say as a grain of salt as just a hint, if you can try variables and then go beat your mate at his own game with a different point of view. That's what hand loading is all about... Your own custom load that works for you.

Ask the worlds best accuracy shooters, very few use loads / bullets that others use. Goes for Hunting, Plinking, Target shooting so matter if it's F-Class, Full Bore, Benchrest long or short range. Makes this hobby so much fun and always a learning curve. Keep plenty of records of what you do.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by von_klitzing » 31 Mar 2014, 11:02 pm

Agreed. From what I've researched, and in my very short experience, you just can't go using someone else's loads for your rifle to start with... Factors are already different.
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 01 Apr 2014, 9:06 am

Apollo wrote:Warrigul wrote " have switched back as I personally believe 2206H to be more consistant over a range of temperatures."

My discussions with the Ballistician from ADI is that your belief may be in your own mind. Their powders exibit the same temperture stability across the range of powders and that's what they were designed to do. Other factors at play here I would believe if that's the result you experience over all.

Whenever I shoot at the range I make notes, there were variations in elevation zero during the time I was using BM2(They weren't as apparent when AR2206H was used before and after I switched back to AR2206H. I went back to the sighters being used mainly for advantage not zeroing purposes- why would you waste two get out of jail free cards? It wasn't just two trips to the local plinking gallery either it was 1257 rounds over 18 months.

Apart from the fact that it seemed to meter a bit better I found no advantages in accuracy over AR2206H(group sizes were about the same after development) so when the BM2 was used up I simply didn't buy anymore.

Yes it may be in my mind but anything I do or say is results driven and in this case it was simply temperature that varied with the different zero(hence my personal belief). I am not saying BM2 is a bad powder as I know plenty of others recommend it(and I am regularly beaten by a bloke using it), it just doesn't justify a place on my reloading bench when AR2206H will do as good a job for me, also I buy powder 4kg at a time and it took a looong time to run out wheras I have multiple uses for AR2206H.

(I no longer have the .223 target rifle all this was done on)
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Chronos » 01 Apr 2014, 9:45 am

Warrigul wrote:also I buy powder 4kg at a time and it took a looong time to run out wheras I have multiple uses for AR2206H.

Ther in lies the biggest reason to buy 1206H over BM2, the savings made in hyping 4kg and not the 500gr bottles and BM2 only comes in 500g for those who don't know.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 01 Apr 2014, 9:50 am

A quick phonecall has just reminded me that when you start reloading it is too easy to get caught up in all the technicalities.

Use the KISS principle.

Common projectile everyone seems to prefer(hence usually in stock).

Common powder that is readily available and reasonably priced.

Use factory load tables and starting loads and work up from there as no one load suits all rifles.

Know when to stop!
If you end up with a load that does the job well then stop looking for perfection, you will end up with a shelf full of part boxes of projectiles that you will never use and who needs a load that will stay supersonic at 1000m if all you are doing is hunting at 200m max?.

Enough said(apologies for the patronising/preaching sound to it all).
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Warrigul » 01 Apr 2014, 9:53 am

Chronos wrote:There in lies the biggest reason to buy 1206H over BM2, the savings made in hyping 4kg and not the 500gr bottles and BM2 only comes in 500g for those who don't know.

Chronos

Yes I had to buy eight to make up a dealers discount and so I had a consistant batch number- very important.

In TAS powder supply gets a bit erratic at times and I like continuity of batch so I don't have to check velocity too often, I never run lower than 1kg of powder and buy as soon as I reach that point(not as often now). Here last year I reckon I was the only one in the north part of the state with any 2208 left, only due to the fact I bought a heap cheap when a local gunshop shut down.

If you are running a good load you want it to stay consistant as long as possible and I personally believe that there are minor variations batch to batch, all loads from a new batch of powder should be checked from a safety and accuracy point of view.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Chronos » 01 Apr 2014, 10:46 am

Warrigul wrote:Yes I had to buy eight to make up a dealers discount and so I had a consistant batch number- very important.

In TAS powder supply gets a bit erratic at times and I like continuity of batch so I don't have to check velocity too often, I never run lower than 1kg of powder and buy as soon as I reach that point(not as often now). Here last year I reckon I was the only one in the north part of the state with any 2208 left, only due to the fact I bought a heap cheap when a local gunshop shut down.

If you are running a good load you want it to stay consistant as long as possible and I personally believe that there are minor variations batch to batch, all loads from a new batch of powder should be checked from a safety and accuracy point of view.

Don't worry about Tassy, there are no 4kg bottles of 2208 in Sydney ATM

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 01 Apr 2014, 10:54 am

Chronos wrote:
Don't worry about Tassy, there are no 4kg bottles of 2208 in Sydney ATM

Chronos

You have to be kidding me?

I can accept that we have problems down here due to Bass Strait but Sydney?

What is the country coming to?
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by VICHunter » 01 Apr 2014, 12:18 pm

Plenty of ebb and flow on the mainland.

In Vic anyway... It was months ago now, but visiting my local 3 stores it took me about 4 weeks to get a bottle of 2208 at one point.

Any size, no one had a grain.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Dreamcaster51 » 09 Feb 2017, 11:02 pm

Way late but my bit,
I own a Howa sa 223 varmint barrel, it has a 9 twist, I was not sure about that but contacted Howa Japan and got the email below back. I use 2206h @ 23.9 gn shooting Sierra 55gn super roos way below recommended load but they shoot very nicely at 100 yds out to 200 and still in moa. The nossler 60 gn do much the same but allow me to compete in our 300 to 500 yd comps as well with out having to purchase a bigger rifle which i would love to do one day :-) i run 25gn of 2206h for those.

Thank you for your inquiry on our Model 1500.
It's a great honor for us to receive a message directly from you in Australia.

In regard to your inquiry, we changed the twist rate of our .223 barrel in August 2013.
A twist rate of the .223 barrels which was made at our factory before August 2013 is 1 in 12.
The rate of the barrels which was made at our factory since August 2013 is 1 in9.

If you could provide us with the serial number starting from "B", we will confirm when your rifle was made in our factory to make sure the twist rate.

Thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

S. Harada
Howa Machinery, Ltd.
Dreamcaster51
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by joshuahay » 25 Apr 2017, 10:50 am

hey mate was wondering if you could help i have a howa 223 1500 varmint 1 in 9 twist im new to reloading i purchased adi2208 loaded at 26grs with sierra 55grn whats a good powder for the 1 in 9 twist and the grain range i have looked on adi page cannot find anything for the 55grn sierra for my twist rate they start at 60grn any help much appreciated
joshuahay
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Apr 2017, 12:30 pm

I have a 1 in 9 Marlin in 223. Load data I use is:
AR2208 23.5 gr Hornady 55grains for about 3000 fps Fairly mild but the rifle likes it.

The ADI data never includes all possible combinations. They list several 55 grain projectiles using AR2208 loads. I would just start at the minimum and work up 0.3 grains at a time. Watch for pressure.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 25 Apr 2017, 12:40 pm

joshuahay wrote:hey mate was wondering if you could help i have a howa 223 1500 varmint 1 in 9 twist im new to reloading i purchased adi2208 loaded at 26grs with sierra 55grn whats a good powder for the 1 in 9 twist and the grain range i have looked on adi page cannot find anything for the 55grn sierra for my twist rate they start at 60grn any help much appreciated

I'd just do a re-work of the 2208.
Which bullet is it, exactly? https://www.sierrabullets.com/products/ ... /rifle.cfm
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by vmaxaust » 25 Apr 2017, 9:02 pm

headspace wrote:As I'm about to take delivery of a 223 heavy barrel Howa, I'd be interested in hearing about some good loads for that cartridge. Thinking of starting off with a 55gn Sierra Game King Winchester brass a 2206H. Any thoughts?

You can't go wrong with that formula. I use Hornady bulk 224 55gr projectiles, 25.5gr 2206H, OSA cases, Federal primers and OAL of 2.170" with cases trimmed to 1.750". I use these in Tikka T3 Super Varmint with heavy barrel and CZ527 carbine. They are extremely accurate in both these rifles at 100 to 200 metres. I do most of my target shooting at these distances. If you are extremely fussy you could use a fancier projectile to improve a fraction more. I've used some of the Noslers (expensive match bullets) but the small improvement was really only valuable to a serious competition shooter.

Sam
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition