Whats everyone doing about pistol powder?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Whats everyone doing about pistol powder?

Post by dnedative » 25 Aug 2022, 7:53 pm

mickb wrote:Exactly mate. You can see the level of stigma against recreational small arms supplies, even gunowners have been convinced they are some sort of special cost/hazmat category just under nuclear missiles.

Really dont know if its company's just not wanting to get involved because of the nature of the product or nobody has really bothered to put any effort into asking around and making it happen.

There are no issues getting black powder shipped up and down the east coast, you can buy Wano in Queensland and Victoria and it certainly didnt teleport itself onto the shelf.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Aug 2022, 8:13 pm

dnedative wrote:There are no issues getting black powder shipped up and down the east coast, you can buy Wano in Queensland and Victoria and it certainly didnt teleport itself onto the shelf.

I'm not sure what happened in South Australia regarding BP as it isn't stocked anywhere here, apparently you need to buy it through clubs.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 26 Aug 2022, 10:28 am

dnedative wrote:
mickb wrote:Exactly mate. You can see the level of stigma against recreational small arms supplies, even gunowners have been convinced they are some sort of special cost/hazmat category just under nuclear missiles.

Really dont know if its company's just not wanting to get involved because of the nature of the product or nobody has really bothered to put any effort into asking around and making it happen.

There are no issues getting black powder shipped up and down the east coast, you can buy Wano in Queensland and Victoria and it certainly didnt teleport itself onto the shelf.

Blackpowder is technically a higher class of hazmat than smokeless as well. Figure that out.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Aug 2022, 5:59 pm

"Really dont know if its company's just not wanting to get involved because of the nature of the product or nobody has really bothered to put any effort into asking around and making it happen"
I have no idea if the above is correct, but could be the case. After all if the MD is an anti, he is unlikely to chase the work, especially if profits are low.
But its more likely a lack of effort and expertise. IMO

The Australian Dangerous Goods Code is based on science. That's it. It isnt opinions from face ache or what ever. Its long and complicated. Transport and storage is highly regulated. My old paper copy is about 55mm thick. I was able to be down loaded free a couple of years ago from one of the government transport authorities.

To give you a taste here are the definitions just for explosives. There are 9 classes

Expl Definitions1.JPG
Expl Definitions1.JPG (51.24 KiB) Viewed 2627 times

Expl Definitions 2.JPG
Expl Definitions 2.JPG (113.71 KiB) Viewed 2627 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 28 Aug 2022, 6:40 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

But its more likely a lack of effort and expertise. IMO

We covered this mate a page ago. DG carriers move all these classes and more in their sleep. Saying they are too dumb or lazy just to move 1:4 makes no sense.

Aussie gunowners seem at great pains to describe their particular hazmat in terms of being harder, more dangerous, more costly, more complicated or needing more licencing to move but its just not true.
Last edited by mickb on 28 Aug 2022, 7:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Larry » 28 Aug 2022, 6:55 pm

The difference is though the prices being charged. For the more exotic substances a higher price is acceptable but for consumer goods price is a big factor.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by mickb » 28 Aug 2022, 6:59 pm

I give up. :crazy: :lol:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by dnedative » 28 Aug 2022, 8:40 pm

The price is irrelevant, they ship powder and guns already.
If someone imports a heap and gets screwed on freight because they are new to the game then it matters little - If the dealers get stung $1000 freight for the 50kg of powder they buy in then they just add $10 per bottle to cover it and off you go.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Aug 2022, 9:58 pm

"Blackpowder is technically a higher class of hazmat than smokeless as well. Figure that out"

Odd, I thought someone didn't understand the difference between 1.1
(Black powder) and 1.4. (Ammo) So I posted the answer.

How silly am I.

BTW, it isn't "technically" it is.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 29 Aug 2022, 7:54 am

The point is as Mickb and dne have pointed out there are options to send powder. It just may cost more and perhaps a volume is needed to make the dedicated truck a viable option. As in a 450kg is less than one pallet on a 10 pallet truck.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 29 Aug 2022, 8:11 am

Larry wrote:The point is as Mickb and dne have pointed out there are options to send powder. It just may cost more and perhaps a volume is needed to make the dedicated truck a viable option. As in a 450kg is less than one pallet on a 10 pallet truck.

I don't know that an option that is not economically viable counts as a realistic option though. Last year I could buy ammo and primers from 2000km away, and have it delivered significantly cheaper than buying it locally. It didn't seem to matter how many kg of powder I wanted though, nobody would send it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 30 Aug 2022, 1:48 pm

I got an email yesterday from tigersharks, it was a chance to preorder some pistol powder and bullets. In less than 24 hours the entire batch of 450kg is gone.
Price was $120/Lbs.
I guess it was only people in SE Qld who were buying as well.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 30 Aug 2022, 7:02 pm

450,000 bullets sold in a heart beat

Bet they are over the f***ing moon, good earner
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 30 Aug 2022, 8:24 pm

500g of powder with each 1,000 projectiles, so 900,000 sold (well, pre-ordered anyway)
At $120 for the powder and about $150 per 1,000 pills that's $270 times 900 or $243,000

That should fund the next big shipment so everybody can have some, hopefully they have the projectile manufacturing capability to keep up.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 30 Aug 2022, 8:39 pm

Its a absolute genius business move on their behalf, they might even be selling the powder at a small loss.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jovialjosie2002 » 31 Aug 2022, 6:18 am

[quote="rc42"]500g of powder with each 1,000 projectiles, so 900,000 sold (well, pre-ordered anyway)
At $120 for the powder and about $150 per 1,000 pills that's $270 times 900 or $243,000

The same powder sells in USA for (USD)$28/Lbs that about $40 (AUD).
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10946 ... pid=888100
Not having a go at tigersharks, I've always been happy with their products. However, someone, Lovex, customs, import duty, transport etc is making a killing on this deal. Tigersharks are extremely competitively priced on their bullets, I doubt it's them putting on the massive markup.
jovialjosie2002
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 31 Aug 2022, 12:23 pm

I have not been following th love x powder shipment.... are we saying that before it even gets here it’s already sold out ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 31 Aug 2022, 2:42 pm

Blr243 wrote:I have not been following th love x powder shipment.... are we saying that before it even gets here it’s already sold out ?

That is what they're saying.
They said that they put some aside for some Brisbane dealers so we don't know if that is all pre-sold as well.
They're hoping to see it late October I think. How long it takes to get from the docks to Tigershark is anybody's guess.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 31 Aug 2022, 4:19 pm

Thanks blade. Is there talk or rlumours of a date for the next shipment? Or are we just grateful for this one and have not looked further than that ? Maybe Mexican drug cartels will start sending drums of alliant unique To Australia instead of cocaine , hidden inside secret compartments In yachts
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 31 Aug 2022, 5:11 pm

The Q-Store on the Belmont complex was also taking names for pre-orders, they may still have space on their list, I believe the direct to existing customer pre-ordering is already fully subscribed.

A larger shipment is due 'next year', I think that's as specific as Tigershark will be, actually it's sensible to make sure the current batch gets through customs before planning more or even taking money for this one. Getting this powder to Australian reloaders is looking increasingly likely but is still not a certainty.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 31 Aug 2022, 6:30 pm

Blr243 wrote:Thanks blade. Is there talk or rlumours of a date for the next shipment? Or are we just grateful for this one and have not looked further than that ? Maybe Mexican drug cartels will start sending drums of alliant unique To Australia instead of cocaine , hidden inside secret compartments In yachts

I'm not aware of any current orders coming to Oz. Even with this lot fully pre-sold, I wouldn't expect Tigershark to place another order yet until they actually have the powder in-hand, lots of things can still go wrong yet.

I'm not chasing pistol powder so I only know what information dribbles through to me, people that are desperate for powder are likely much more in touch with what might be happening.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 31 Aug 2022, 6:43 pm

Cool thanks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by dnedative » 07 Sep 2022, 6:22 pm

Shotgun shooters to the rescue!

Nobel sport Australia (aka BronzeWing) confirmed today they have a large shipment of Nobel powder that will be here by the end of the year.
Order went in two years ago apparently. They import a metric s**t tons of shot shells along with components so I'm optimistic its going to be a significant quantity.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 07 Sep 2022, 7:31 pm

dnedative wrote:Shotgun shooters to the rescue!

Nobel sport Australia (aka BronzeWing) confirmed today they have a large shipment of Nobel powder that will be here by the end of the year.
Order went in two years ago apparently. They import a metric s**t tons of shot shells along with components so I'm optimistic its going to be a significant quantity.

Great news.
I called their rep last week. The best 20g shotgun ammo for foxes is the NSI techna #0. They told me their last shipment of 65 slabs was sold out 18 months ago. There is a new shipment hopefully with this shipment of another 65 slabs. If that powder is coming too I'm grabbing it.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition