Whats everyone doing about pistol powder?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Whats everyone doing about pistol powder?

Post by Tubs » 13 May 2021, 12:14 am

Most have some in reserve, but then what?!?!

Cant exist without my 450 lol.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Whats everyone doing about pistol powder?

Post by deye243 » 13 May 2021, 1:17 am

Well if you did not have at least six TUBS stored away you would be a very silly shooter
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 13 May 2021, 1:24 am

Well fortunately I had bought a 8 pound tub of Titegroup and have some 231, Unique, a little Power Pistol and plenty of IMR 4227 and Lil Gun for 357 Magnum. I have enough I can get by for a while.

I haven't seen any pistol powder on store shelves for a year now, have seen some come in stock online though. Some Vihtavouri just came into the USA.

People will have to use some of the shotshell powders to get by I think. Unique isn't my favored powder but I have used it in the past and it works for 9mm and 45 ACP.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Bugman » 13 May 2021, 7:29 am

I think I have enough for the next 24 months for the type of pistol shooting I am doing. After that, who knows.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 13 May 2021, 9:00 am

service rifle instead of service pistol
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Macross » 13 May 2021, 10:04 am

Im burning through a bit of APS450 at the moment getting ready for the IPSC nationals in June. But once thats over, i am going back to my 350 stockpile and stretching it as far as it will go. A few other small bottles of this and that, and I'm hoping by then, someone will have sourced some supplies to import into Australia and the pressure will ease a little. Hope its not a pipe dream, but thats how Im hoping things will play out over the next 12 - 18 months.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 13 May 2021, 12:00 pm

There are still shipments of Alliant coming in, one arrived this month and I spoke to one of the people involved in distributing it, he said that there was no pistol powder left but the pre-orders would have been filled before he was involved but some is coming in with the occasional bottle appearing on gun store websites. I picked up a 2kg AP350 last week from Rebel Gunworks, there was nothing on their web site in the morning but there it was in the afternoon.

ADI's AR2205 is also still available from Australian stockpiles even though no more is being made this year and it is good for 38/357 and larger. It may even be useful for 9mm but there is no load data for it. I have made some test rounds with 8.6gr compressed 2205 and a magnum primer to see if it's usable in 9mm, 10gr uncompressed with a standard primer makes a nice 38 Special round so hopefully it will be usable, I'm also trying a range of projectiles, starting with 115gr and moving up to 147gr if things go well.

There could well be more experiments that more of us will need to try with the faster rifle powders to try and find a usable recipe if we don't get some large import shipments, clearly ADI has abandoned Australian pistol shooters.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2021, 4:23 pm

Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ob1 » 13 May 2021, 4:39 pm

"..... we’ve had to make the incredibly difficult decision to pause active development projects and cease production of commercial reloading products under the Australian Pistol & Shotgun (APS) range for the foreseeable future" sounds like abandonment to me.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 13 May 2021, 5:05 pm

ob1 wrote:"..... we’ve had to make the incredibly difficult decision to pause active development projects and cease production of commercial reloading products under the Australian Pistol & Shotgun (APS) range for the foreseeable future" sounds like abandonment to me.

The complete statement - "As many would be only too aware, we’ve continued to face challenges with regards to our commercial pistol and shotgun propellants. Having spent 1,000’s of man hours over the past 4+ years trying to deliver these commercial pistol and shotgun propellants for reloaders, which have been designed specifically for Australian shooters (we don’t export these at all), we are still not in a position where the propellants being produced are of the high standard we should expect of an ADI World Class product, or that you as a user of our propellants would demand.

We are now in a position where any continued effort to progress manufacturing or development of commercial pistol and shotgun propellants would, at this time, comes at the expense of delivering our commercial rifle propellants. Because of this, we’ve had to make the incredibly difficult decision to pause active development projects and cease production of commercial reloading products under the Australian Pistol & Shotgun (APS) range for the foreseeable future.

We understand that this will be an unpopular decision, and we’re very much aware of the ramifications of this decision to dealers/retailers, shooters etc., but unfortunately the reality is that we simply cannot make these products at the performance-level demanded by the sporting shooter end user at the current time."

They could continue to try to produce these pistol powders, but it would require a decrease in rifle powder production to do so. In other words, they would have to "abandon" all the rifle shooters to be able to produce powder for the handful of pistol and shotgun users. A perfectly sensible and reasonable decision. We still have access to these powders from other manufacturers, just not from ADI.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 May 2021, 5:20 pm

Perhaps the muppets shouldn't have completely canned production of double base until the single base replacements had been fully developed. Add to that I wouldn't hold my breath for any "large shipments" of anything given how far down on the totem pole we are, As an example a large "name" here ordered 1.7 million primers only to be told by the maker that Australia will receive no more than 900,000. So overseas suppliers don't consider us either.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 13 May 2021, 5:30 pm

ADI themselves announced that demand for rifle powders has increased by 40% since Covid and there are a lot more rifle shooters (and reloaders) than pistol shooters in Australia so they are diverting all their production resources to rifle powders and won't commit to ever producing pistol powders again.

They have removed the posts they made blaming the weather for their inability to produce pistol powders but it seems like they were under considerable commercial pressure to abandon pistol shooters and concentrate on rifle shooters and profit. That appears to be exactly what they have done and they have said nothing that even suggests otherwise.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by FNQ » 13 May 2021, 6:07 pm

Tubs I thinks it’s a wait and see scenario (or hail Merry).

Personally I don’t have much powder left nor factory ammo except for .22

There aren’t to many gun shops up my way but if I see a different powder on the shelf I’d be willing to give it a crack just to stay in the sport.

Could be worth looking at air pistols as there is no shortage of pellets or CO2 at the moment.

Otherwise I’ll have to go a gel blaster or nerf gun
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bill » 13 May 2021, 6:56 pm

deye243 wrote:Well if you did not have at least six TUBS stored away you would be a very silly shooter

this
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 13 May 2021, 8:19 pm

And make sure to have at least 6 bulk packs of toilet paper too, surely nothing bad will happen if everyone buys everything that they see
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 13 May 2021, 11:27 pm

I think folks can pretty much accept ADI will not be doing anything about pistol powders anytime soon. So it's going to have to be other options.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Tubs » 13 May 2021, 11:27 pm

Tubs in name, Tubs in nature lol. No issue for me, I was just thinking that this will make IPSC non viable.

Im happy to continue shooting the occasional service match. 9mm doesnt exactly use a lot of powder if you only shoot 100 rounds every few weeks.
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 May 2021, 8:19 am

rc42 wrote:And make sure to have at least 6 bulk packs of toilet paper too, surely nothing bad will happen if everyone buys everything that they see

Panic buying is the opposite of being prepared. If you plan to have a poo every day for the next twenty years, there's no harm in buying enough bog rolls now and never have to worry about running out. Same with shooting or anything else you plan to be doing for many years.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 14 May 2021, 3:57 pm

The year was 2039 and bladeracer grand-kids used the last roll that grand-dad bought back in 2020 lol
But I know what you mean about be ready I have a few tubs left 4 X 2 kg 4 x.5 kg
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 15 May 2021, 11:33 am

Yeah the thing with powder, primers, bullets is that well stored they will typically last for decades. So when supplies are plentiful and prices are cheap I stocked up. This past year I have been reloading plenty without any worries and still have tons of stuff on the shelf that will last years.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 15 May 2021, 2:48 pm

pomemax wrote:The year was 2039 and bladeracer grand-kids used the last roll that grand-dad bought back in 2020 lol
But I know what you mean about be ready I have a few tubs left 4 X 2 kg 4 x.5 kg

I also buy 10mm sockets in bulk :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2021, 10:53 am

Thank Godfor Alliant. Might not be in stock but at least you know it’s on it’s way and will get here eventually
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 16 May 2021, 5:25 pm

Q-Store at the Belmont shooting complex currently has over 200 of the 500g bottles of ADI AR2205 which is great for 38 Special and larger and might even be usable in smaller cases like 38 Super and 357 Sig.
https://www.q-store.com.au/shop/product ... ategory=39

I have some test loads of 9mm with a full case of 8.6gr compressed and sitting behind a 148gr projectile and magnum primer to hopefully get it hot enough to match the faster pistol powders. It's less than the load data for a 38 Special but the smaller case volume and compressed powder will help push the pressure up, I'm looking forward to giving them a try.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tubs » 22 May 2021, 8:47 pm

rc42 wrote:Q-Store at the Belmont shooting complex currently has over 200 of the 500g bottles of ADI AR2205 which is great for 38 Special and larger and might even be usable in smaller cases like 38 Super and 357 Sig.
https://www.q-store.com.au/shop/product ... ategory=39

I have some test loads of 9mm with a full case of 8.6gr compressed and sitting behind a 148gr projectile and magnum primer to hopefully get it hot enough to match the faster pistol powders. It's less than the load data for a 38 Special but the smaller case volume and compressed powder will help push the pressure up, I'm looking forward to giving them a try.

They need to get some down to Sydney
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 22 May 2021, 11:34 pm

20210522_230420.jpg
20210522_230420.jpg (64.31 KiB) Viewed 7278 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 23 May 2021, 12:10 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
20210522_230420.jpg

Bwaaahahaha mix some in with some 2205
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 23 May 2021, 8:59 pm

It’s not just pistol powder. It’s many things we used to be able to just buy When required... But now we can’t ...,I have no experience whatsoever with retail or wholesale or supply. Can’t they just jack up the prices of everything and just bloody get it here ? Surely that’s got to be better than us being told OUT OF STOCK all the time .... I’m getting jack of it .. can someone please explain ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 23 May 2021, 9:18 pm

Blr243 wrote:It’s not just pistol powder. It’s many things we used to be able to just buy When required... But now we can’t ...,I have no experience whatsoever with retail or wholesale or supply. Can’t they just jack up the prices of everything and just bloody get it here ? Surely that’s got to be better than us being told OUT OF STOCK all the time .... I’m getting jack of it .. can someone please explain ?

dunno, I went to get some powder the other day, they had a shipment of alliant powder, $120 454 grams, told them to shove it up their ass, my rifle rounds worked out 13c cheaper factory than reload at that price, and no shortage of factory rounds. same price gets me more than double that in ADI and waits are s**t, but only so often having to wait more than a few months and I make sure I have 6 months supply so always ahead, sure its annoying when you want something different to what you have stocked, it is s**t tho I will agree,
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Tubs » 23 May 2021, 10:41 pm

Primers and to an extent powder are the most important commodities. Not too hard to slowly build up a supply
Tubs
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 24 May 2021, 5:54 am

I have oodles of certain things. Just new things I’m experimenting with I can’t get .....I had my impatient cranky hat on last night
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition