RCBS hand primer tool push rod suddenly too high

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

RCBS hand primer tool push rod suddenly too high

Post by Chickenhawk » 02 Aug 2013, 3:11 pm

Right... To start with I know I'm overlooking something simple here but for the life of me I can't figure out what's happened here...

I have the standard RCBS hand priming tool which comes with the Rock Chucker Supreme reloading kit which has been fine for a year.

I go to prime some brass today and for no reason that I can see, the push rod now comes up about 1.5mm higher or so that it did before.

When I last used it it was fine, put it away in the draw no problems. Take it out today and it's buggered...

Have pulled it apart and back together again 5 times and there's nothing I can see that should be causing the problem. No debris in it or anything like that.

Frustrating as hell, anyone have any ideas?
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: RCBS hand primer tool push rod suddenly too high

Post by Harper » 05 Aug 2013, 9:53 am

Not really much to get stuck in them hey... Just the push rod from the handle, the little socket piece whatever it's called, and the primer rod...

Not like a grain of sand or something hidden in grease in one of the sockets?

NFI what else it would be?
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

How to fix RCBS hand primer

Post by Chickenhawk » 05 Aug 2013, 10:20 am

Nope, cleaned out the sockets.

That was my first thought as there was plenty of excess grease in the sockets.

Cleaned em out though and found nothing - reassembled primer tool with no change.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

How to fix RCBS hand primer

Post by Lorgar » 05 Aug 2013, 2:40 pm

I had exactly the same problem with mine.

Bought a few one, worked fine for a batch of reloading before I put it away. Got it out of the draw two weeks later and it was pushing the primer rod too high, just like you described.

On mine there was a very subtle dent on the ball of the handle pushrod from where the socket bit had dented into it. It was just enough that when you pressed the handle the pushrod ball would catch on the edge of the socket and wouldn't go completely into it.

It looked fine though, the way I figured it out was by looping a bit of string behind the push rod, closing the handle, then pulling the string to pull the rod towards the handle. After I did this it clicked forward into the socket bit and the primer rod dropped back to the proper height.

Couldn't fix it, had to take it back and exchange it for a working one, but that was the problem.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Aster » 09 Aug 2013, 9:21 am

What are you two doing to be grinding grooves into your primer tools :P
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Lorgar » 09 Aug 2013, 9:23 am

Aster wrote:What are you two doing to be grinding grooves into your primer tools :P

If you have to ask, you wouldn't like it.

Wraar.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Chickenhawk » 09 Aug 2013, 9:25 am

Lorgar wrote:On mine there was a very subtle dent on the ball of the handle pushrod from where the socket bit had dented into it. It was just enough that when you pressed the handle the pushrod ball would catch on the edge of the socket and wouldn't go completely into it.

Bingo.

Exact same problem. Replaced at store and now back up and running smoothly.

Cheers.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition