Issues with neck size of 7x57 ?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Issues with neck size of 7x57 ?

Post by pops70 » 26 May 2021, 8:08 pm

G'day all,

I could do with some help.

Long story short, I am trying to reload some Federal 7x57 ammo for my Mauser K98 re-barreled to that calibre.

The cases do NOT go into my Lee 7x57 FL resizing die after being fired with out excessive force and if I resize bit by bit, some come out but I have had three of five stuck with the rim sheering off when trying to extract the case.

If I cut the neck off one fired case, I can resize it comfortably

To me it seems as if the neck gets stuck if it is forced into the die and then the rim sheers off when trying to extract. I know that I sould never have to use that much force, but I am just trying to figure out what the hell is wrong.

We tried another new die with my fired cases in the gun shop with the same issues.
Tried brand new 7x57 cases which did NOT get stuck (manufacturer evades me currently).

Measurements:

Federal 7x57 Factory ammo BEFORE firing:
Neck diameter 0.314
Shoulder diameter 0.422
Base diameter 0.466

Federal 7x57 Factory ammo AFTER firing:
Neck diameter 0.328
Shoulder diameter 0.438
Base diameter 0.471

Hornady Handbook of reloading 10th edition:
Neck diameter 0.321
Shoulder diameter 0.429
Base diameter 0.471

Can someone look up the neck diameter for me in their Lee reloading Handbook?
What neck size does a Hornady FL die produce?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Tim
pops70
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Re: Issues with neck size of 7x57 ?

Post by pops70 » 28 May 2021, 8:46 pm

I have actually solved this partially talking to a few guys in the US.
After using good amounts of Lee resizing lube (paste) and not the Hornady One Shot Case Lube, I was able to size them in that die.

I still think that the throat of the chamber is too large, but need to keep in mind that it is a weapon designed to use ammo once and not reload.

I have ordered some cerrosafe to get some reasonably accurate measurements of the chamber.
pops70
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by No1_49er » 28 May 2021, 9:13 pm

Was your RIFLE rebarrelled with a new barrel and chambered by a good 'smith?
Or was it fitted with a used barrel?
Could be the chamber was cut too generous.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 28 May 2021, 9:29 pm

Can you FLS the cases if you remove the expander rod ?
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pops70 » 28 May 2021, 10:01 pm

No1_49er wrote:Was your RIFLE rebarrelled with a new barrel and chambered by a good 'smith?
Or was it fitted with a used barrel?
Could be the chamber was cut too generous.

Re-barreled at one point in time (not known when ... 1943 rifle ... barrel ?) from original 8x57 to 7x57. Barrel has British proof marks.

I'm potentially trying to get a different barrel and get it fitted by a gunsmith.
pops70
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by pops70 » 28 May 2021, 10:02 pm

Bill wrote:Can you FLS the cases if you remove the expander rod ?

I can FLS them now with good amounts of lube (paste, not spray) and rod installed.
Rod itself did not make a difference if installed or not, as the neck was too large for the die with just one shot lube.
pops70
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by No1Mk3 » 29 May 2021, 12:47 am

G'day pops70,
My Lee dies produce a neck size of 0.3135" in Norma cases, my RCBS dies produce 0.315" in Norma cases. After firing in most of my 7x57 rifles cases are 0.325". Lee specify the same as C.I.P, max case neck = 8.25mm ().325"), I think your barrel chamber is OK, not "Target Grade" but certainly within Service and you solved your issue with changing lube type and application. Chamber cast anyway as it is always nice to know what shape the lead and throat are in, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 29 May 2021, 8:00 am

Pops70
Judging by your posts I would suggest the following.
Dismantle the FLS die and clean thoroughly. Examine the neck portion in bright light from various angles to see if there is any kind of issue such as a burr or corrosion. If there is corrosion polish it out with a piece of green kitchen scourer lubricated with a light oil. Any kind of burr or machining issue should lead to a warranty claim unless you feel confident you can rectify it without further damage.
Carefully check if there is any kind of alignment issue evident between the die and shell holder and if possible rectify.
If the above does not appear to be the problem then I suggest Castor Oil as a lube. It has the lowest coefficient of friction between brass and steel of any lubricant. Only the thinnest smear is required and a small bottle from a chemist will last a very long time.
As others have stated the dimensions you have posted are within acceptable limits.
Also, I have experienced some quality issues with recently bought Lee collet dies which however were easier to rectify than make a warranty claim.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 29 May 2021, 10:43 am

I like the Lee lube but it is too thick so I put it on my lube pad and thin it with something else, you could use the One Shot to do this. Pick the lube up of the pad with your finger and apply it to the case. Great idea about Castor oil SS but it is a bit smelly. I also use Ballistol to lube cases with the Lee product.

Looks like you are getting plenty of practice removing stuck cases from your dies.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 29 May 2021, 11:58 am

I don't like the One Shot Lube. The only cases I have had stuck in the die for many years was when using this product.

Lube the inside of your case mouth with a brush dipped in graphite if it is difficult to size.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by pops70 » 29 May 2021, 9:57 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Looks like you are getting plenty of practice removing stuck cases from your dies.

Hahaha .... yes you are right. But all good now.
Attachments
received_832989113987780.jpeg
received_832989113987780.jpeg (101.01 KiB) Viewed 2403 times
pops70
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by pops70 » 29 May 2021, 10:05 pm

straightshooter wrote:Pops70
As others have stated the dimensions you have posted are within acceptable limits.
Also, I have experienced some quality issues with recently bought Lee collet dies which however were easier to rectify than make a warranty claim.

We tried a different die and had tge same issues.
Dimensions are acceptable but just a little too much for that die with normal lube.
The difference between fired and sized is actually visible without measuring ... that's why I was a little concerned in the beginning.
In the photo below you can see resized necks on the left and fired ones on the right.
I successfully finished 30 cases with good amounts of Lee lube and was happy so far.
Have ordered a Redding neck only die because I don't want to resize the rest of the case every time.
Maybe that one will go easier.
Attachments
received_3723690854407651.jpeg
received_3723690854407651.jpeg (40.75 KiB) Viewed 2402 times
pops70
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Oldbloke » 29 May 2021, 11:20 pm

Ive noticed cleaning and lubing inside the neck makes a noticeable difference. I don't load heaps so just give them a run in an Aldi ultrasonic cleaner for 5 minutes, does the job.

Perhaps annealing will help?? Maybe just do a couple to try.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 30 May 2021, 10:02 am

pops70
Having now seen the picture of the disfigured case rim I would suggest that you examine the relationship between the expander ball and the neck part of the die.
If the expander ball is too close to or indeed pushed up into the neck part of the die then that would explain all your problems.
After breakfast I will check one of my Lee FLS dies which has a collet/clutch arrangement to see if that is possible. It can't happen with other brands that have a threaded decapper stem.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 30 May 2021, 1:47 pm

Over 20 years of reloading I have had this problem on all chamberings and it has always been the lubricant.I tumble all my brass to mirror finish and wash in hot soapy water till there is no medium left at all.I use grease sprayed with WD40 on a flannel and a cotton bud to do inside the neck and have never had a problem since.Some of the commercial spray lubricants dry out fairly quickly and the case will gall and have trouble sizing and extracting and it sure slows the process.
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition