Powder suggestions for 6.5 Creedmoor

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Powder suggestions for 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by 65Hitmoor » 30 May 2021, 4:35 pm

Gday,
New kid on the block and first time post.
I have been using Hornady Precision Hunters and Sellier & Belott since purchasing the Lithgow LA102 6.5 Creedmoor a little over a year ago. Both rounds shoot great out of this rifle but now it’s time to start reloading so just chasing a few suggestions to get the ball rolling.
About 30 years out of the shooting community has me back at square one. I used to shoot Roos full time many moons ago and was up on all the reloading stuff and now it’s time to start again. Life style changes have me back out hunting and enjoying shooting again.

I was planning on using the Hornady 143gr ELD-X projectiles just because they perform well in the factory ammo. However like a lot of ammunition and supplies they are as scarce as unicorns at the moment.
My local shooting supplies (700 km away) has suggested (due to that’s all they have at the moment) the Nosler 140gr Ballistics and the Sierra 130gr Gameking.
They also suggested the ADI 2209 powder I was chasing might not be the best choice for the 6.5 using these projectiles.
I asked for a recommendation but was told to check out the load data for each projectile and make up my own mind.
I have , and it appears to me I can use ADI 2209 using/ assuming the H4350 listed on the data as a close equivalent powder
However that still doesn’t make it the best or better powder to use I guess.
They have RE 17 in stock so looking at using that as well in comparison against the 2209. Also trying not to spend a million $ trying to work out a powder/projectile combo.

So the rifle is used only for hunting with aprox 300 metres being max distance for shots on wild dogs/dingos.
I do drop a few pigs with the 6.5 but generally I hunt them with two bailing dogs and the little 22 magnum.

Has anyone on this forum had any experience with theses projectiles and powder or similar?
Just chasing ideas and suggestions from experienced shooters.

I try not to overthink things and make it more complicated then it has to be but at the same time I have this inner drive that always has to make things work to it’s best potential.
I’m shooting dogs not paper targets so I’m chasing the best accuracy for distance shots for ethical kills out 300. 300 metres shots are like two a year. Inside 150 every other weekend.

Thanks for any help
65Hitmoor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Powder suggestions for 6.5 Creedmoor

Post by Oldbloke » 30 May 2021, 7:09 pm

No experience with the 6.5 creedmore. But you really can't go wrong with 2206H or 2208.
Both are incredibly versatile and used for many, many chamberings.

Resized_20210530_190308.jpeg
Resized_20210530_190308.jpeg (246.96 KiB) Viewed 19642 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 30 May 2021, 7:24 pm

AR2209 does look like a good choice, but I prefer AR2206H or AR2208 myself.

65Hitmoor wrote:Gday,
New kid on the block and first time post.
I have been using Hornady Precision Hunters and Sellier & Belott since purchasing the Lithgow LA102 6.5 Creedmoor a little over a year ago. Both rounds shoot great out of this rifle but now it’s time to start reloading so just chasing a few suggestions to get the ball rolling.
About 30 years out of the shooting community has me back at square one. I used to shoot Roos full time many moons ago and was up on all the reloading stuff and now it’s time to start again. Life style changes have me back out hunting and enjoying shooting again.

I was planning on using the Hornady 143gr ELD-X projectiles just because they perform well in the factory ammo. However like a lot of ammunition and supplies they are as scarce as unicorns at the moment.
My local shooting supplies (700 km away) has suggested (due to that’s all they have at the moment) the Nosler 140gr Ballistics and the Sierra 130gr Gameking.
They also suggested the ADI 2209 powder I was chasing might not be the best choice for the 6.5 using these projectiles.
I asked for a recommendation but was told to check out the load data for each projectile and make up my own mind.
I have , and it appears to me I can use ADI 2209 using/ assuming the H4350 listed on the data as a close equivalent powder
However that still doesn’t make it the best or better powder to use I guess.
They have RE 17 in stock so looking at using that as well in comparison against the 2209. Also trying not to spend a million $ trying to work out a powder/projectile combo.

So the rifle is used only for hunting with aprox 300 metres being max distance for shots on wild dogs/dingos.
I do drop a few pigs with the 6.5 but generally I hunt them with two bailing dogs and the little 22 magnum.

Has anyone on this forum had any experience with theses projectiles and powder or similar?
Just chasing ideas and suggestions from experienced shooters.

I try not to overthink things and make it more complicated then it has to be but at the same time I have this inner drive that always has to make things work to it’s best potential.
I’m shooting dogs not paper targets so I’m chasing the best accuracy for distance shots for ethical kills out 300. 300 metres shots are like two a year. Inside 150 every other weekend.

Thanks for any help
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 65Hitmoor » 30 May 2021, 7:25 pm

Thanks Oldbloke
65Hitmoor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bottleshock » 30 May 2021, 7:38 pm

I have a Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5 CRD and have spent many many hours working up loads using 2209, 2208 and 2206H. My best load by far up to 300 metres ia a 130 grain ELD Match in front of 41.2 grains of AR2209 and beyond that 147 ELD Match pushed along by 42 grains of AR2209. I'm not a hunter so not sure how fit for purpose these projectiles would be for you needs but they put a decent dent in steel plates at 800 metres.
Bottleshock
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 65Hitmoor » 30 May 2021, 8:20 pm

Thanks for the reply Bottleshock. Think I may just bite the bullet and get both 2209 and 2206H to compare with the 130 and 140 gr projectiles through the Lithgow.
Great to hear feed back from a Creedmoor shooter thanks.
65Hitmoor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Phil Lawlor » 31 May 2021, 8:33 am

I have conducted a bit of load development for my Ruger Precision over the last 4 or 5 months. My preferred load combination for my rifle is. Hornady 140g ELD-M projectiles, 40grains of 2209, CCI BR 400 primers and Starline nickel coated brass. Zeroed at 100mtrs, 5 round groups @ 100mtrs all under 1/2inch off the bench. My mate has the exact same rifle, same brand and weight projectiles and very similar grouping but runs 41.5grains of 2209. I prefer to find the first acceptable node and refine from there. I have used this same load combination on a couple of good chital stags recently as well. It dropped them on the spot at out around the 180 to 200mtrs. My 2 bobs worth.
Phil Lawlor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 31 May 2021, 8:46 am

Mate I run 2209 in my Creedmoor for the 143 ELDX and they shoot like a champion. I run 2206H for the light projectiles.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 31 May 2021, 8:58 am

2206H works well in my 6.5 CM with 107 to 130gr bullets. I use 2209 behind 140 - 147gr ELD-M's for 500m targets. My barrel has a 1 in 7.5" twist rate. The Hornady ELD-X is the hunting version.
Given the application, i.e., dogs @ 300m or less, I can't see why the Gamekings wouldn't work if that is what you can get. I always got good results with them on live game.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 31 May 2021, 11:33 am

For a 130gr, around the AR2206H / AR2208 is about right. I'd be leaning more toward AR2208 for a 143gr, and certainly AR2209 will work for a 143gr, AR2209 would in fact be "safer" due to case fill, if that means anything.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by 65Hitmoor » 31 May 2021, 7:00 pm

Thanks for all the replies, pretty sure I’ll get both 2209 and 2206H and do what all of you have done and spend some time finding out what the rifle likes with the projectiles I can purchase.
65Hitmoor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bello » 01 Jun 2021, 9:53 am

Hi Mate
I have used AR2209 with the Hornady 143gr and 147gr projectiles.
Works fine for me.
Most of the people I have spoken with, agree the AR2209 works well with the 6.5 Creedmoor.
Best of luck :thumbsup:
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 01 Jun 2021, 3:08 pm

Glitter or foundation
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 03 Jun 2021, 9:54 am

bigpete wrote:Glitter or foundation

Don’t be a hater just because you don’t have one.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by 65Hitmoor » 03 Jun 2021, 4:59 pm

I was waiting for the replies from the Creedmoor haters JimTom. :D That’s the reason I called myself 65Hitmoor. Been on other sites when I was researching the Creedmoor where it’s a full time sport bagging the caliber.

So for your information bigpete the glitter works fine on the dogs but you need some decent foundation on the pigs.
I run fairy dust in the 22 Magnum but a long shot is only 10 metres so velocity isn’t really a consideration just shot placement
65Hitmoor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Jun 2021, 5:48 pm

Haha yep no shortage of Creedmoor haters on here mate. People with a fear of change and the benefits it may bring. It can’t possible be as good as a 6.5x55 as it’s only been around for ten years or so. :sarcasm:
Cheers mate. :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by 6.5CM Canno » 01 Sep 2022, 10:16 pm

just joined this site and in same position ,,just taking up the shooting again after 20 +years .
6.5CM bergara #9 barrel hmr wilderness nightforce nxs 8-36x56moart .

so far 200 rounds down range and about to start reloading path,
tried winchester 140grain match deer season during covid grouped at a tennis ball size at 100 yrds,
hornady whitetails 129 gn 1/2 tennis ball ..
hornady match 120gr at a premium price mind you .1/4 tennis ball size.
300 casings B/N Petersens match brass to start of the venture.
2kgs AR2209
500 Hornady 140 grain SST pills
2000 Federal 210 primers.
buy it while i can and from where ever at the moment.

best development hand load to date,from what i read to suit my bergy,
140grn hornady SST running AR2209 is 37.3 grains at 100yrds =5/16 group size 5 shot cold bore.all tight =5cent piece at 100 yards .pretty happy with that .
but as a newb i want it better.
going for zero at 300 yrds max range 500 ish. i think thats realistic.
found another group im looking at 3/4 inch at 39 grains .is it worth mucking with it ????
yet to stretch its legs out,
appreciate listening and putting my thoughts out there. no idont wear long socks and tight shorts either .LOL :)
cheers . .
6.5CM Canno
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 04 Sep 2022, 3:04 pm

Good results you are getting, I find the SST to be a frustrating bullet to get to shoot well, ogive length all over the place. The terminal performance is good but not something I would use for long range because of the poor groups I produce using them. Found Sierra Game King much better.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by MattBull » 27 May 2023, 11:11 am

Bottleshock wrote:I have a Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5 CRD and have spent many many hours working up loads using 2209, 2208 and 2206H. My best load by far up to 300 metres ia a 130 grain ELD Match in front of 41.2 grains of AR2209 and beyond that 147 ELD Match pushed along by 42 grains of AR2209. I'm not a hunter so not sure how fit for purpose these projectiles would be for you needs but they put a decent dent in steel plates at 800 metres.

Would be awesome to exchange info with you. I have the same setup and spent a fortune figuring out load data. Let me know if you would like to exchange load data?
MattBull
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by northdude » 30 May 2023, 5:35 am

Ok ill bite. Just a lovley floral smelling talc should see you right :sarcasm:
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by straightshooter » 30 May 2023, 8:18 am

JimTom wrote:
bigpete wrote:Glitter or foundation

Don’t be a hater just because you don’t have one.

Don't be nasty.
He (and possibly others including me) is waiting until this particular caliber fad runs it's course and there is a glut of slightly used 6.5 CM's on used guns.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 30 May 2023, 12:05 pm

Probably been around long enough to qualify as no longer being a fad. If seems on this forum that any cartridge manufactured after 1960 is no good and the shooter has homosexual tendencies.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by northdude » 30 May 2023, 7:16 pm

I think its just a bit of old fashioned banter if anyone remembers what that is. If it was a car forum it would be fords vs holdens ahhh the days when there werent so many precious snow flakes.....
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by deye243 » 30 May 2023, 7:25 pm

Just look at all the s*** the pope cops cops it worse than what the gaymore gets .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 31 May 2023, 4:35 am

I don't own one of those new fancy 6.5 that is like a fairy tale to many. I don't need one.

What I can tell you is being realistic for hunting purposes, anything that shoots into a 1" at 100 but is a good bullet for dogs is the best load. Shooting 0.0002 groups means nothing when it is a hunting load. And for dogs, you need a lighter bullet that is really fast opening. Basic cup and core will do it better that high cost fancy bullets.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by northdude » 31 May 2023, 6:11 am

At the end of the day its just a reinvetion of the same old wheel
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 31 May 2023, 10:49 am

animalpest wrote:I don't own one of those new fancy 6.5 that is like a fairy tale to many. I don't need one.

What I can tell you is being realistic for hunting purposes, anything that shoots into a 1" at 100 but is a good bullet for dogs is the best load. Shooting 0.0002 groups means nothing when it is a hunting load. And for dogs, you need a lighter bullet that is really fast opening. Basic cup and core will do it better that high cost fancy bullets.

IMO cup & core along with others like corelok or interlock cover 90% of hunting requirements.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 31 May 2023, 11:14 am

Ive always had a good run with them