Hornady Lock-n-Load AP Reloading Press

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Hornady Lock-n-Load AP Reloading Press

Post by the_sovereign_man » 01 Jun 2021, 4:24 pm

I have some more free time on my hands so will be doing more pistol shooting (9mm) moving forward. At present I have a Lee Breech Lock single stage press. I'm looking to upgrade to a progressive press but, as you're probably aware, there's not many options in stock at dealers. I have the opportunity to buy a Hornady AP but don't know anyone with any Hornady products that can vouch for quality etc. Any input, good or bad, is appreciated.
the_sovereign_man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Hornady Lock-n-Load AP Reloading Press

Post by No1Mk3 » 01 Jun 2021, 4:39 pm

G'day the_sovereign_man,
I have 2 of these I use for rifle and pistol loading. They are a good solid press but like all of them need tweaking to run well, the biggest issue I had was the drop tubes for the powder measure, you only get 2 and the smaller one won't drop some rifle powders such as AR2209, just hanging up and allowing the powder to fall out after lowering the ram. I had to make custom tubes out of brass to suit the caliber I was loading. No issues with pistols using Win 231, AP 50 and AP 70 though. There are some good vids on youtube and I recommend watching them. Personally I prefer to use my Lee Loadmasters for handgun loading and reserve the AP for rifle now, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by the_sovereign_man » 01 Jun 2021, 5:22 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Personally I prefer to use my Lee Loadmasters for handgun loading and reserve the AP for rifle now, Cheers.

I'm not sure I'm going to find one of these in stock, unfortunately. If you know of any for sale, please let me know.
Last edited by the_sovereign_man on 02 Jun 2021, 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
the_sovereign_man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by ob1 » 01 Jun 2021, 5:51 pm

I would be buying a Dillon for handgun reloading.

Some info for you - https://youtu.be/vIPUgJbzbmk
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 01 Jun 2021, 6:34 pm

Gooday TSM, a while back a good mate mentioned that he had a Dillon 650 [?] for sale, I have texted him to ask if he still has it and if so may I pass his mobile # to you.
If so I will PM you.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by the_sovereign_man » 02 Jun 2021, 8:28 am

ob1 wrote:I would be buying a Dillon for handgun reloading.

Some info for you - https://youtu.be/vIPUgJbzbmk

Not sure if you're aware, but there are no Dillon's for sale anywhere. They're all on backorder.
Last edited by the_sovereign_man on 02 Jun 2021, 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
the_sovereign_man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by the_sovereign_man » 02 Jun 2021, 8:30 am

Tiger650 wrote:Gooday TSM, a while back a good mate mentioned that he had a Dillon 650 [?] for sale, I have texted him to ask if he still has it and if so may I pass his mobile # to you.
If so I will PM you.

Mate that would be unreal. It's pretty slim pickings everywhere at present.
the_sovereign_man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by the_sovereign_man » 02 Jun 2021, 9:28 am

If anyone has seen a progressive press for sale, either private or at a dealer, please let me know. I'm hoping to pick one up by the end of the week.
the_sovereign_man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by BadShot » 02 Jun 2021, 9:58 am

As of May 19, Saphire Trading in VIC had some apparently.

186481009_182172433788369_2682803885727936461_n.jpg
186481009_182172433788369_2682803885727936461_n.jpg (112.34 KiB) Viewed 1758 times
BadShot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 02 Jun 2021, 10:27 am

I own a Hornady LnL progressive press. Very happy with it overall. I haven't run into any issues having to modify it to run or anything. It has several grease points, so grease it, follow the instructions and I don't see any major dramas.

The only thing I did not like was using the expander powder drop thingee. It's an insert in the powder measure that expands pistol brass at the same time you drop powder. I found it to be a pain in the ass and got rid of that.

Here's why I bought it over the Dillon. Forgive me but it's been 3-4 years since I bought it so I may not have everything right about the Dillon. But:

1. It has 5 stations over 4 on the Dillon 550.
2. It also auto rotates when you pull the handle unlike the 550.
3. It seems to be easy to fix a boo boo over the Dillon 650
4. It was cheaper than the Dillon and Hornady barfed up 500 free bullets too as a rebate.
5. Parts or accessories are widely available at any decent big gun store or a big box store like Cabelas. I can go into any Cabelas and pick up a shell plate or whatever. The Dillon seems more a secret society and tracking down stuff is more difficult.

I've loaded tons of 9mm on it, works just fine. I think as long as you follow the instructions on set up, grease it, keep it clean and maintain it, you should be good. Every 5000 rounds I take off the shelf plate, clean any brass shavings or debris out, make sure the ball bearing is greased and the grease points have grease and good to go.

When I got it, it took a few hours to assemble, bolt it down, get it set up, etc. Progressive presses take a little more time to get everything dialed in but once you do you should fly like an eagle. I have mine set up for 9mm like this:

1. Redding progressive press 9mm resizing die
2. Prime/Lee expander die
3. Powder
4. Redding seating die for 9mm
5. Lee Factory Crimp Die
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by the_sovereign_man » 02 Jun 2021, 12:50 pm

BadShot wrote:As of May 19, Saphire Trading in VIC had some apparently.

186481009_182172433788369_2682803885727936461_n.jpg

Thank you! Just bought one. Ships out Monday morning.
the_sovereign_man
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 02 Jun 2021, 3:27 pm

Dillon 650 still available, PM sent.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition