Reloading process

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading process

Post by Phil Lawlor » 09 Jun 2021, 7:33 am

Be interested to see if I am going a bit overboard with the process of reloading of my own bullets. Firstly, I am retired, have time on my hands and attention to detail in the reloading process is something I really enjoy. I have gone through the whole process of load development and only shoot targets off a bench at the range socially for a couple of hours per week.

New cases
1. visual inspection of all cases
2. check about 10% of total to confirm they are under max length
3. lube and neck resize
4. wipe excess lube from cases and deburr inside and outside of case neck
5. prime
7. charge, seat projectile and check length.

Fired cases
1. visual inspection of fired cases looking for signs of pressures, case separation or neck cracking
2. quick scrub of inside of case neck with wire brush to remove any carbon
3. lube, neck resize and de-prime
4. wipe excess lube from case and deburr inside and outside of case neck
4. a good soak and wash in hot water (squirt of dishwashing liquid and 1/2 a scoop of napisan) for 30 minutes. Clean out primer pockets and thoroughly rinse
5. allow to dry for a day or so
6. prime, charge and seat projectile and check length.
Phil Lawlor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Reloading process

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Jun 2021, 11:47 am

Hi Phil,

This can be as simple/cheap or complex/dear as you like. You seem to be doing what most do. Like you I'm now retired and enjoy the process. Been reloading for over 35 years but having said that I don't go to ranges so I only a few load occasionally. There are plenty here with more experience than me But this is how I do it.

1. De-Prime
2. Clean in Aldi ultrsonic cleaner. Water, vinegar, soap, salt. Rinse well and air dry
3. Visual inspection of fired cases looking for signs of pressures, case separation or neck cracking
4. Anneal every few reloads or as required.
5. Lube and FLRS
6. Wash or wipe clean and air dry
7. Trim all cases & de-burr. Every re-load
8. Lightly lube inside of neck
9. Prime, charge and seat projectile and check length.

A handy free guide.

https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-downloadable-guide.html
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 09 Jun 2021, 1:17 pm

For neck sizing no need for lube on the outside and all I do is dip the case mouth in graphite powder no need for messy wet lubricants if I was you I would check every case for length not just 10% only takes one to drive Pressure through the roof
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Jun 2021, 7:28 pm

For new cases I would trim them all to the shortest case length, or to the minimum length after the first firing.
Run the cases over an expanded mandrel to iron out the necks and to relieve the existing neck tension. New brass usually has too much tension and you do not want to size it down.
For fired brass, do not clean them for best results. Just clean the necks with some fine steel wool and run an old cleaning brush inside the neck. You want to leave a small amount of carbon on the inside of the neck to act as a lube, clean brass is very grippy. If you do clean your cases, use some graphite lube, as said above, to allow the smooth release of the bullet.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition