No more Hornady TAP

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

No more Hornady TAP

Post by Harrynsw » 18 Jul 2021, 9:53 pm

Was at the local store and the bloke behind the counter told me Hornady TAP was no more. My Sauer loves the stuff. Fortunately I got my hands on 300 rounds a while back.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: No more Hornady TAP

Post by JohnV » 24 Jul 2021, 11:38 am

I was going to tell you that from a previous post of yours but did not want to burst your bubble so to speak .
Hornady did the same thing to me stopping production of a certain projectile my 243 barrel liked .
They keep saying there is no shortages but things keep disappearing .
Hornady is tied into a lot of Defence and other Government ammunition contracts so they shut down some civilian lines to accommodate the contracts . They are still making 300 Blackout Sub-X TAP because they have a contract to supply some shadowy Military group . Civilians will just get the scraps that are left over and it pushes the prices up , but there is no shortages :problem: .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Harrynsw » 16 Aug 2021, 12:03 pm

JohnV wrote:I was going to tell you that from a previous post of yours but did not want to burst your bubble so to speak .
Hornady did the same thing to me stopping production of a certain projectile my 243 barrel liked .
They keep saying there is no shortages but things keep disappearing .
Hornady is tied into a lot of Defence and other Government ammunition contracts so they shut down some civilian lines to accommodate the contracts . They are still making 300 Blackout Sub-X TAP because they have a contract to supply some shadowy Military group . Civilians will just get the scraps that are left over and it pushes the prices up , but there is no shortages :problem: .

I had heard hornady specially produced TAP for some south American country, military and police is what the guy said. Anyway they pulled out and hornady was left with all this ammo. And here we are.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Aug 2021, 5:36 pm

Are you saying they stopped making the loaded ammunition or the projectiles?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 16 Aug 2021, 6:09 pm

Did the same with the Z-max loved those rounds in my 308 caught wind of it before they were out of them at the store and bought 4000 of them lol I should be good for a while.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 16 Aug 2021, 6:24 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Are you saying they stopped making the loaded ammunition or the projectiles?

I'm not sure about the projectiles, i was referring to the cartridges.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 16 Aug 2021, 6:25 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Did the same with the Z-max loved those rounds in my 308 caught wind of it before they were out of them at the store and bought 4000 of them lol I should be good for a while.

Hahahaha for a while? Or for ever?? :D
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 16 Aug 2021, 6:43 pm

For a while

I try to have 1000 of them ready yo go in ammo boxes at 1 time
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Harrynsw » 16 Aug 2021, 7:07 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:For a while

That's alot of shooting
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Aug 2021, 9:32 pm

Harrynsw wrote:

That's alot of shooting

I try to keep 600rds of pistol cartridges and 300rds for rifles on hand, which does add up when you load more than 20 different chamberings.

I keep about 300 12ga. field loads, plus a variety of specialized loads, BB's, slugs, #9 and such. 12ga. takes up far too much room to keep bulk. I just received a pile of .410 wads to play with last week.

I keep more than 25,000rds of .22LR, but about half of it is purely for testing in different rifles, 102 types currently, but I've ordered some Eley Team which will make 103 types, if this lockdown ever stops long enough for me to collect my 11,000rd order. I fired more than 2500rds of .22LR in July, despite the atrocious weather. It sucks not being able to have ammo delivered just now.

I also have around 20,000 air-rifle pellets. I'd love to make a .177 pellet mould though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 16 Aug 2021, 10:48 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:

That's alot of shooting

I try to keep 600rds of pistol cartridges and 300rds for rifles on hand, which does add up when you load more than 20 different chamberings.

I keep about 300 12ga. field loads, plus a variety of specialized loads, BB's, slugs, #9 and such. 12ga. takes up far too much room to keep bulk. I just received a pile of .410 wads to play with last week.

I keep more than 25,000rds of .22LR, but about half of it is purely for testing in different rifles, 102 types currently, but I've ordered some Eley Team which will make 103 types, if this lockdown ever stops long enough for me to collect my 11,000rd order. I fired more than 2500rds of .22LR in July, despite the atrocious weather. It sucks not being able to have ammo delivered just now.

I also have around 20,000 air-rifle pellets. I'd love to make a .177 pellet mould though.

:wtf:
Wish I was you...
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 16 Aug 2021, 11:21 pm

It mainly comes down to how much of other interests you're happy to give up to pursue what you enjoy. Shooting is a very important thing for me, something I intend to do forever, and ammo will never get cheaper than it is today.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 19 Aug 2021, 10:26 am

bladeracer wrote:It mainly comes down to how much of other interests you're happy to give up to pursue what you enjoy. Shooting is a very important thing for me, something I intend to do forever, and ammo will never get cheaper than it is today.

I hear ya. At the moment work and family life consumes my time. Plus I'm a city slicker. Something to work towards.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 19 Aug 2021, 10:36 am

Harrynsw wrote:
bladeracer wrote:It mainly comes down to how much of other interests you're happy to give up to pursue what you enjoy. Shooting is a very important thing for me, something I intend to do forever, and ammo will never get cheaper than it is today.

I hear ya. At the moment work and family life consumes my time. Plus I'm a city slicker. Something to work towards.

I've always been self-employed, and I lived to work when I was younger - my business was my whole life.
It wasn't until I had a life-changing accident in 1990 that I realised you can't leave the good times for your future, your future may never happen :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Communism_Is_Cancer » 19 Aug 2021, 1:06 pm

I got 1020 rounds of TAP 60grain 223 and 362 rounds TAP 168grain 308.

I keep a list of my ammo. Every time I shoot I mark off what I used. Easy to keep track of.
Communism_Is_Cancer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by MontyShooter » 19 Aug 2021, 1:51 pm

I bought a few thousand rounds of tap 223 when it was cheap too. Shame it's gone as the Warwick loves it.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Harrynsw » 19 Aug 2021, 4:56 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:

I've always been self-employed, and I lived to work when I was younger - my business was my whole life.
It wasn't until I had a life-changing accident in 1990 that I realised you can't leave the good times for your future, your future may never happen :-)

Good advice.
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition