Best powder for 100gr .243 rounds

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Best powder for 100gr .243 rounds

Post by Goshawk » 06 Apr 2014, 4:25 pm

Hi all,

I for past couple of years i have been using either ADI AR2209 or 760w (40gr's which is max) for 100gr Speer BTSP which has been fine but I'm wanting to get more velocity.

Any suggestions?

I'm also planning on changing to 100gr Nosler Partitions.
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Re: best powder for 100gr 243w rounds

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Apr 2014, 8:42 pm

What velocity are you getting with your current load ?

Also according to Nick Harvey's loading manual, with 100 grn slugs you can safely work your way up to 43 grains with 2209 wich should give you ~ 3000 fps

( sorry to open up the max safe load debate again fellas )

Other tha that you could choose a lighter projectile, they are easier to get moving.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 06 Apr 2014, 10:10 pm

A little word of warning here.

Nick Harvey is just a person, he does not have a full Ballistics Labratory as do some of the Firearms and Powder Manufactures. Nick for years used to publish data that was on the very hot side and most times shot in his own firearms using his Chronograph. A lot of his data has been downgraded to a more safer figure. Tread lightly when using his data and always compare it with other information from better sources before approaching maximum loads. On page 125 under 95-100gr weight in Nick's latest Reloading Manual (9th) he lists two different lots of load data using AR2217 with two different velocities. There are many other errors in his Reloading Manual.

Nosler, Speer (Lee), Hodgdon (ADI), Sierra and others have much better resources available to them for testing under very controlled environments. It's hard to judge exactly who does a lot of the load testing but it's never in your firearm. Please don't say it's safe to use any maximum load unless you have worked that up in your own firearm and know how to judge the safe limit. BTW, ADI do not do any powder load testing, it's done by Hodgdon USA at their test facility and passed on.

A 100gr Speer and a 100gr Nosler should give you the same muzzle velocity as will any other 100gr bullet within a reasonable fine margin based on bullet bearing surface , bore friction and other very minor differences. Terminal velocity at a given distance will vary more so as then bullet design comes into effect. Seating depth, bore rifling and many other factors vary from one firearm to another and hence all have an effect that will make your load behave differently to someone else's even of the same brand.

My suggestion is to look at the data from a number of sources using .243W 100gr bullets and what powder they have tested to see the results they obtained, take that information into account before choosing another powder. ADI's AR2217 or AR2213SC may, and I say may give you a fraction more velocity. You may be far better off dropping bullet weight if velocity is your only factor in question. Velocity does not mean accuracy.

All USA Reloading Manuals list ADI powders under the Hodgdon Label, it's easy to compare them then start your own testing.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Goshawk » 07 Apr 2014, 6:33 am

Thanks for the info,

I have been using 'ADI Powders Handloaders' Guide- 6th edition' that suggest the max load of 40gr of 2209 to obtain 2970fps, I'm not sure id want to push that up to 43gr's....... I do use 44.5gr of 2209 to get 90 nosler ballistics humming along to great effect. (max load)

I have great accuracy with current load, I just want maximum on target effect, (hunting load)
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Apollo » 07 Apr 2014, 8:59 am

"Goshawk" I agree with your thoughts.

I don't like pushing hot loads, especially in a .243W where barrel life is not that good anyway.

My 100gr Sierra SBT's I found best accuracy using 39.5gr of AR2209 @ 2910fps, CCI LR Primers but I'm not happy with the load as it is on the hot side going on all indications of measuring fired cases and looking at the primers. I seldom use these but they are there if required. One thought I had if I was going to continue using this weight bullet was to experiment with a few different brand primers and watch the effect on muzzle velocity.

I have some 90gr Berger Match BT Target to try shortly and would much prefer to take some stress out of the equasion if they provide better results. Even though a Target Grade Bullet they are supposed to be excellent for Hunting purposes with their soft jacket so I'll be looking closely at the results on some creatures.

So far the best accuracy I have found is using bullets around the 80gr mark with the same powder and velocity is great at around 3,200fps. Much better ballistics.

If you find you are not getting the results you want in the way of carcus penetration try changing the style of bullet say from a Ballistic Tip to a Soft Point then a Hollow Point.

Best of luck with it all.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 07 Apr 2014, 9:30 am

2209 was the winner for 95gr pills in my .243 Ruger.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Best powder for 100gr .243 rounds

Post by Ken » 10 Apr 2014, 8:41 pm

Safe to say 2209 is the favourite for the .243.

It's not the only option though. Plenty of people getting results with 2208 as well.
Whatever you do, don't look at the mayonnaise...
Ken
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tonit » 10 Apr 2014, 8:42 pm

2206 as well, but I think that's discontinued now?

2209 or 2208 are probably your best options, and both available obviously...
.22-250 Howa Thumbhole Varminter + Weaver Classic 4-20x50
.308 Howa Hunter + Weaver Classic 2-10x50
Tonit
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Goshawk » 18 Apr 2014, 6:56 am

Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll just stick to current 2209 powder @40gr

The Nosler load data sugggests 44.5 gr of Viht N560 for 3144fps.

What is Viht? Can we get it in oz?
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by SendIt » 18 Apr 2014, 2:45 pm

Vihtavuori is another brand of reloading powder. I think SK and Lapua both use it in their ammo. Anyway...

I'm sure you can track is down somewhere, thought I don't know of any places that stock it regularly.

But...

ADI publish a list of powder equivalents to let you swap between brands more easily. See here: ADI powder equivalents.

There isn't an straight swap for you for Viht N560 to an ADI powder which would be more readily available.

FYI though, it's burning rate is similar to ADI's AR2209 which you're already familiar with. You're in the same neighbourhood of powders with 2209 as N560 except everywhere stocks 2209 so you won't have trouble finding it in stock compared to Vihtavuori powders.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Norton » 18 Apr 2014, 2:47 pm

Goshawk wrote:I have been using either ADI AR2209 or 760w (40gr's which is max) for 100gr Speer BTSP which has been fine but I'm wanting to get more velocity.

If it's been working fine and you're already shooting the max load, why do want more velocity exactly?
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Hercl » 18 Apr 2014, 2:50 pm

On the subject of the bullets too, the Nosler Partitions have quite a bit lower BC than the Speers BTSP.

Over distance the Nosler's will actually be worst for velocity than what you're already using.
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Apr 2014, 9:10 pm

I went down the velocity chasing path with my .243 simply to get my projectiles to preform better as I was drilling clean holes with Seriea Game King 100grn.

I'm gonna guess that Goshawk is trying to do the same ?

Personally in my rifle I load way above ADI's max recomended load, but not without plenty of R & D ie. Case head expansion measurements, wich for me meant throwing away plenty of measured brass...... Put it this way, if you dont have the know how, a bench grinder and a micrometer as part of your load development tools DONT try and go above any recomended max loads in reloading manuals, looking at your fired primers is no real measure of how your rifle and your brass is taking the pressure.

My take on velocity / barrel life is, I purchased my Remington 700 .243 around 15 years ago. On average I have only shot only100 rounds per year with it and it still shoots sub 1 moa. Groups. If your shooting 100 rounds per week then it's probably wise to keep the speed down.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Goshawk » 19 Apr 2014, 11:37 am

I wanted more velocity for more penetration for hunting deer. I was thinking of getting nolser partitions as they hold together a heap better than Speer and nosler ballistic tips (hunting version, not varmint version).
Goshawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Post by Gregg » 21 Apr 2014, 11:43 am

Though of just giving Accubonds a go instead?

They're bonded to stay together too, and they're boat tails unlike the Partitions so should shoot better over distance.
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Prettybird » 21 Apr 2014, 11:43 am

More readily available in store too.

Always see Accubonds at the LGS, hardly ever see Partitions.
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 21 Apr 2014, 11:45 am

A regular hunting mate and I both use Accubonds for our deer loads.

Definite thumbs up.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 21 Apr 2014, 11:46 am

If you're after velocity the Accubonds will maintain it better over distance than the Partitions as well.
Blackened

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition