.243 with 20" barrel projectile selection

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

.243 with 20" barrel projectile selection

Post by GQshayne » 25 Jul 2021, 8:43 pm

I have an FN made BLR in .243 Win. It has a 20" barrel, which as far as I know has a 1:10 twist rate. From what I know, 1:10 is the most common in .243. I have always used 85-90gn projectiles in my .243, the first being an LSA Tikka, and now the BLR. Accuracy with the BLR using 90gn Speer Hot-Cor bullets has been acceptable (hunting rifle only) so in that regard it is fine.

However I am giving some thought to loading some different construction projectiles in the same weight. My pig hunting has been in western Qld mostly, and a big pig may be 80-90kg. Not too many bigger than that where I went, not that we ever weighed any. The Hot-Cor has been a solid performer on that size animal, however I wonder if used on a bigger 100kg or more boar whether they would be a bit light on. I am thinking about Cape York porkers.......

I have always preferred to stay with 90gn due to ballistics advantage over the 100gn stuff, however that may have been true 30 years ago, but the projectile selection now is far greater. The 90gn is good with getting a nice velocity at low pressures, and nice trajectory, so I am inclined to stuck with this weight.

Given the BLR has a short barrel, what are members thoughts on projectile selection???
Do you agree with my 90gn preference?
Is there a particular BC or SD that I should look at in the short 20" barrel??
Do you reckon the 90gn Hot-Cor is solid enough construction to make the exercise of no advantage??

Cheers,
Shayne

P.S. - No, I do not want to buy a .308. :crazy:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: .243 with 20" barrel projectile selection

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jul 2021, 9:26 pm

When I took my blr 243 Himalayan thar hunting In nEw Zealand I loaded 105 grain speers. About 15+ yrs ago when I took same rifle hunting red deer in Gympie I used 95 grain Barnes x ....99 per cent of my pigs have been with my 243. Mostly 87 grain v max ...my biggest boar ever was with an 87 v max. I’m only shooting broadside at stationary relaxed animals close range. I never shoot from behind ....if u are thinking of a trip north, as far as suitable projectiles matching The game goes, if it were me I would be useing the 105 Speer or 95 Barnes x , but I know little about barrel lengths and twist rates .....Most of my cape hunting was with bows. Never Up there did I see the mythical 2 inch shoulder shield . Never saw one that a broad head could not penetrate. I too am thinking of a trip north this year. It’s been a bloody long time since I hunted the cape. I thought I would never do it again .....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 26 Jul 2021, 4:35 am

Hey GQ , their not cheap, but you could switch to nosler partitions if you’re worried about bullet performance. Or something from the Barnes range as already suggested
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jul 2021, 5:58 pm

Ranges pig are shot on the cape are shortish eg 5-40 m generally so flat shooting less important up there unless u see a dingo at 200m or a boar on the other side of the swamp. Generally I used to spend about 75 per cent of the time walking up creeks, 24 per cent of the time circling swamps and one per cent of the time sitting in the shade wishing it was not so bloody hot
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 26 Jul 2021, 7:56 pm

I am like you BLR, not much knowledge of the ballistics side of things, so I figured I would ask our members that do.

For short range hunting it is less of an issue than long range or target shooting. But I do like to stay lighter rather than heavier for holdover and lead advantages. Unlike you, I have found that most of my pig hunting has been on moving game, quite often at ranges up to 200m. Flush them out of the thick stuff and they can get away fast. But I will not claim to have done that more often than not. Mostly, when they get 150m or so on me they get out of sight.

Bigrich, I reckon you are on the money with the Partition. I have done some reading and looking at specs and I think in 95gn it is a good option. It is such an old design, that in my case it is an advantage (as I see it). With a shorter barrel, I think the longer projectiles will not stabilise as much as a 22" or 24" barrel would. So any modern, long, boat tailed, polymer tipped stuff, that tends to be 95 - 100gn is best avoided. But the Partition is short and fat and lead tipped!

I have given thought to the solid copper stuff like the Barnes or the Hornady GMX, but not sure it is the best option. A good lead core bullet has worked well over the years, so I am thinking a heavier construction version should do the trick.

And yes, it will be hot.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jul 2021, 8:32 pm

Should u end up with a Barnes instead , In the old days the Barnes, with their longer bearing surface , Barnes Bullets saw pressure increases with loads set up for conventional lead core Bullets, it’s the only time I have had tight extraction in my blr ....but in the adi manuals Barnes are listed now, and I’m pretty sure Barnes offer Barnes specific data too... And most people already know about this detail already .....if I do get up to the cape this year I’ll probably have a dingo specific 243 v max rifle ready to grab in the front of my Cabin as I’m driving between swamps just in case I see a dog .....creek walking I’ll prob take my 1895 , or 7600 Prob with red holos fitted to both ....it would be crazy Of me not to take A thermal scope as well. It prob won’t get used at all daytime, perhaps at night on cattle carcasses baits
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 26 Jul 2021, 9:06 pm

Yes, Barnes are a bit different.

Just looked at prices for the Partition. $93 for a box of 50. Crikey.............
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 26 Jul 2021, 9:49 pm

Ive used 120gr BT out of a 260 rem and a Swede and both flogged boars up to 90kgs

I've used 100gr BT out of a 25-08 on Boars with a similar results, they aren't bullet proof

and I've recently started using 90gr BT out of my 6mm at 3100fps and they do the job with accuracy you'd expect from a Nosler bullet. :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Larry » 26 Jul 2021, 11:28 pm

I dont want to say what I have shot with my 243 But at 300yrds and a 105grn Sierra Pro Hunter it dropped a Large deer where it stood. Head Shot probably helped.

In answer to your question I would go with the Sierra 105 gamekings or Pro Hunter bullets and load them up to your max comfortable point. Back off fro any flattened primers no need to push things into dangerous practices.

To really give you more info re ballistic comparisons you need the Muzzle velocity of the different rounds. My 243 is a 24 inch barrel which would add a bit of speed. However the energy delivered would be very similar. A 6mm hole in the head doesnt really need that much extra energy as in shock to stop things.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bigrich » 27 Jul 2021, 4:55 am

I’ve heard the nosler BT’s are a good thing in the 243 . I use Nathan fosters website “terminal ballistic research “ as a reference. The guy has done a lot of work into this sort of thing. I wouldn’t say it’s the be all , but is certainly a good reference. Look up the 243 in the “knowledge base “ and have a read .
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 27 Jul 2021, 7:39 pm

Larry wrote:I dont want to say what I have shot with my 243 But at 300yrds and a 105grn Sierra Pro Hunter it dropped a Large deer where it stood. Head Shot probably helped.

In answer to your question I would go with the Sierra 105 gamekings or Pro Hunter bullets and load them up to your max comfortable point. Back off fro any flattened primers no need to push things into dangerous practices.

To really give you more info re ballistic comparisons you need the Muzzle velocity of the different rounds. My 243 is a 24 inch barrel which would add a bit of speed. However the energy delivered would be very similar. A 6mm hole in the head doesnt really need that much extra energy as in shock to stop things.

Velocity is not my concern Larry. Yes, the 20" barrel will have lower velocity you would think, but it is the stability on the big pills you suggest that is likely to be poor.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 27 Jul 2021, 7:42 pm

bigrich wrote:I’ve heard the nosler BT’s are a good thing in the 243 . I use Nathan fosters website “terminal ballistic research “ as a reference. The guy has done a lot of work into this sort of thing. I wouldn’t say it’s the be all , but is certainly a good reference. Look up the 243 in the “knowledge base “ and have a read .

As it happens, I read that yesterday! :lol:

I think given the cost of projectiles, it is a good option to just get some factory stuff with a suitable projectile. Worth looking at what is available anyway.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 28 Jul 2021, 8:14 pm

My co-conspirator in this project, my father, tells me today that factory ammo using the Nosler Partition is $72 for 20 rounds.

He has some cases sorted out for me to re-size for some handloads. $72 a box is a bit much!!!!
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jul 2021, 8:44 pm

Shooters delight has Sand B factory ammo 100 grainer soft points 29 bucks for a box of 20 I suppose distance from certain shops plays a big part esp now that we are hearing about transport companies being reluctant to ship Bullets
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 29 Jul 2021, 9:26 pm

Blr243 wrote:Shooters delight has Sand B factory ammo 100 grainer soft points 29 bucks for a box of 20 I suppose distance from certain shops plays a big part esp now that we are hearing about transport companies being reluctant to ship Bullets

We gave away the idea of the factory stuff. I like the idea of being able to use a premium projectile and make up a load to suit it. Partitions are expensive at $90 plus for 50, but they will not be used a lot really. Cost of fuel etc will be much more then the cost of ammo.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Larry » 30 Jul 2021, 10:24 am

Stability wont be a problem even with the 105grn. Stability governed a lot by RPM which is a direct result of MV. I have shot heaps of 105s at paper using a 24 inch barrel and have never seen any indications of possible instability.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Blr243 » 30 Jul 2021, 12:21 pm

If the Speer 105 pills are same as they were yonks ago they are a pretty tough pill and conventional shaped, conventional constructed pills are stacks cheaper than Barnes and partition
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bluehorse » 11 Aug 2021, 11:11 am

I like 243 on roos . 55,60 70 75 . 55s and 60s my favourites as flat shooting hard hitting accurate high percentage killers . but feral pigs across the board can range from piglets to rank old razorbacks . I would be shooting heaviest projectile I could for pigs . And test shoot on paper to know just how it shoots at various ranges . Then i would not be walking thru the bush looking for pigs , They can be in mobs of 2 to 40or more . If you shoot 1 and another cranky bastard comes charging at you then it does not matter what you have if he get u unawares .
Any rifle will kill depending on range and conditions !! A 22 will despatch a pig easily if u r slaughtering it . range of a few inches
bluehorse
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by GQshayne » 11 Aug 2021, 9:09 pm

bluehorse wrote:I like 243 on roos . 55,60 70 75 . 55s and 60s my favourites as flat shooting hard hitting accurate high percentage killers . but feral pigs across the board can range from piglets to rank old razorbacks . I would be shooting heaviest projectile I could for pigs . And test shoot on paper to know just how it shoots at various ranges . Then i would not be walking thru the bush looking for pigs , They can be in mobs of 2 to 40or more . If you shoot 1 and another cranky bastard comes charging at you then it does not matter what you have if he get u unawares .
Any rifle will kill depending on range and conditions !! A 22 will despatch a pig easily if u r slaughtering it . range of a few inches

I have been hunting pigs since 1983, starting with a .22LR. In the thick stuff, when you can't see them, but they know you are there, sometimes you can hear them clicking their tusks together.

All good fun mate. Of course, you could always stay home, but I like to get amongst it.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition