Hawkesbury River Bullet Company projectiles

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Hawkesbury River Bullet Company projectiles

Post by Rossi » 06 Apr 2014, 7:15 pm

Hi Guys.

Just looking to get some input on what you guys think of HRBC projectiles?

I'm looking to reload .45-70 ammo and would like to know if those projectiles are any good. I will most likely be using the 350gr RN Copperhawkes.

They are reasonably priced at around $65 per 250 as opposed to the copper jacketed Hornady and Barnes projectiles which are about $65 per 50.

I don't feel I really needed copper jacketed rounds for my .45-70 lever action rifle.

Your thoughts?
Rossi
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Hawkesbury River Bullet Company projectiles

Post by Chronos » 06 Apr 2014, 7:40 pm

post removed as i felt it not relevant to the op's purpose

Chronos
Last edited by Chronos on 06 Apr 2014, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 06 Apr 2014, 7:50 pm

I use hundreds each year in .303, .38/.357, .310 cadet, .30 cal, .32 cal and 9mm with no issue at all.

High velocity copperhawkes are best in rifles.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by yoshie » 06 Apr 2014, 10:24 pm

I've reloaded many thousands and I think they are good value. Occasionally you get a malformed one and twice I've found a 30 cal in my 44s. I haven't ordered from their shop yet, someone from my club did a run and picked them up once a month. I like the copper hawks as I can push them fairly fast in my 444 without any leading.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Rossi » 07 Apr 2014, 11:19 am

The Hy-Tek coating appeals to me as it seems it would protect against substantial lead build up in the barrel. I know the velocities for 45-70 can be around the 1800 - 2000ft/s mark so Copperhawkes seem like a good choice.

Thanks for your input guys
Rossi
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Warrigul » 07 Apr 2014, 11:39 am

Rossi wrote:The Hy-Tek coating appeals to me as it seems it would protect against substantial lead build up in the barrel. I know the velocities for 45-70 can be around the 1800 - 2000ft/s mark so Copperhawkes seem like a good choice.

Thanks for your input guys

Yep, I have shot copperhawkes (gas checked) into a sandbank at 300m with the .303, with a view to recovering to have a look at and have found them to fully coated still, with engraving from the rifling present. Very impressive, but then you would expect a gas checked round to perform well

I did the same with .357 loads(not gas checked) but at 100m and found all the coating present but with rifling engraving so it definately works.

Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by tarnagulla » 08 Apr 2014, 9:49 am

I have not used them in a rifle, but they are about the hardest cast projectile on the commercial market, and leading in handguns is minimal, even with only the blue coating.

Having read Warrigul's post, I might try some Copperhawkes in my .303!
tarnagulla
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by auriga3 » 12 Apr 2016, 4:42 pm

have some 180gn FP Blackhawks 303 cal some advice please on a powder load should they be gas checked? Have thought about using them in reduced loads using TrailBoss powder.HRBC suggested 13gn of TrailBoss.no gas check.Has anyone tried this Thanks
auriga3
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Releb » 20 Apr 2016, 2:37 pm

ADI has data online for .303

http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloade ... 03+British

And all the other usual cartridges
Tikka Stainless from 30-06 Springfield lane.
Releb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by BBJ » 10 May 2016, 10:47 am

auriga3 wrote:have some 180gn FP Blackhawks 303 cal some advice please on a powder load should they be gas checked?

Gas checks will aid in accuracy and reduce lead fouling, but depends on the accuracy you want and how much fouling there is (or isn't) and if it's making cleaning problematic.

Means more work of course though, so up to you if it's worth it.
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Mitch » 08 Aug 2016, 6:29 pm

Old thread, but rather than starting a new one:

Using the HRBC copperhawkes, if they lead the bore, what's the best way to clean it? Just solvent like normal or some other special way or what? Going to be using them in a 44mag lever
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Drew » 17 Aug 2016, 11:23 pm

Buy a box roll of steel wool from bunnings, wrap some of it around an old brush, oil it and run it through a few times. Will turn an hours worth of work into 5 minutes. I shoot heaps of cast in many different calibers and spent hours and hours cleaning before a old fella gave me the tip. I have been using the mild wool for years now, it works great, the super fine stuff will get rust of a barrel too without removing the blue.
Drew
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Aug 2016, 7:24 am

You need a bullet that is designed for gas-checks to use them. The base of the bullet is rebated to accept the gas check. Pretty sure none of HRBC's are, they're mostly bevel base. Even though they are coated, try lubing them. Have found that gets rid of fouling and helps with accuracy. Or, slow them down if fouling persists. Of course with cast bullets, proper fit to bore is critical. Need .001" -.002" to get a proper gas seal with hard-cast bullets.
A tight patch soaked in turps will usually get lead out. You can also buy lead removing cloth that you cut into patches, does a very good job.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 28 Dec 2017, 3:50 pm

So does anyone know just how fast you can drive the blackhawkes ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition