Making 410 out of 303 brass

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Making 410 out of 303 brass

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2021, 3:42 pm

northdude wrote:would forming them hydraulically with water work

How would you do this?
You need the case to be in the chamber of a .410 barrel or a die, but then you could apply hydraulic pressure to it in some way.
Frankly, just far, far easier to fire them.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 07 Sep 2021, 4:06 pm

I think I've read about it in a very old sporting shooter from memory it involved some type of die and a good fitting rod that fitted in the case didn't really fully read article as it was of little interest at the time its called hydro forming
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Sep 2021, 5:18 pm

boingk wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Never anneal the lower part of the case.
Try chamber your hulls before you load them to confirm they chamber okay, otherwise you'll want to resize the bases.

Yup. For anyone following along and thinking 'why?' the case head and lower portion of the case shouldn't be annealed as you will be likely to have extraction problems or even case head / web integrity failure... otherwise known as a facefull of hot gas or even a 'bang' at the wrong end of the gun.

No expert here. But just re thinking this. Most centerfires are usually 40,000 to 55,000psi.
But 410 runs at 12,500psi.
Soooo, logic says perhaps it's OK to anneal further down the case than usual. Just a thought bubble. More research me thinks.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2021, 5:36 pm

northdude wrote:I think I've read about it in a very old sporting shooter from memory it involved some type of die and a good fitting rod that fitted in the case didn't really fully read article as it was of little interest at the time its called hydro forming

I can't see that working as the point of the exercise is to open the case mouth out to a much larger diameter, thus a tight-fitting rod is impossible. You could do it by attaching hydraulic pressure to a barrel, but I would expect it to collapse the case against the bolt rather than expand it.

You can use this hydraulic method to deprime brass, particularly Berdan brass.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Sep 2021, 5:59 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
boingk wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Never anneal the lower part of the case.
Try chamber your hulls before you load them to confirm they chamber okay, otherwise you'll want to resize the bases.

Yup. For anyone following along and thinking 'why?' the case head and lower portion of the case shouldn't be annealed as you will be likely to have extraction problems or even case head / web integrity failure... otherwise known as a facefull of hot gas or even a 'bang' at the wrong end of the gun.

No expert here. But just re thinking this. Most centerfires are usually 40,000 to 55,000psi.
But 410 runs at 12,500psi.
Soooo, logic says perhaps it's OK to anneal further down the case than usual. Just a thought bubble. More research me thinks.

Perhaps, but I can't see any reason you would want to. The .303 brass doesn't have to be expanded out to the full .410 size at the case head.
I don't have any plastic hulls, only Magtech brass .410 shells. .303 on top. The .303 measures .453" across the case head, the .410 measures .470", but I wouldn't expect the .410 hull to expand the head under the low pressures it operates at. The .45 Colt I use in a .410 chamber is expanded to .475" under fairly stout loads. If you don't need the column height, .45 Colt is another option for .410 brass but half the length. CCI makes .45 Colt 150gn shotshells. Frankly, I would just shoot .45 Colt in the .410 with bullets rather than shot :-)
Attachments
20210907_174741.jpg
20210907_174741.jpg (113.25 KiB) Viewed 3314 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Sep 2021, 6:00 pm

Why would you consider annealing the base end of a rifle cartridge case to be problematic when you are actually converting it to a shotgun case? It is no longer a rifle case operating at rifle pressures, but a shotgun case, and remember the hulls you reload have either paper or plastic as the walls and very thin brass or plastic bases. 410 2 1/2" has a chamber pressure for 1/2 oz at appx 12500 psi compared to a 303 MAP of 49000 psi. Also recall there is an entire world of difference between annealing brass to a softer more pliable state than over-heating it to a permanently ruined state, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Sep 2021, 6:20 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Why would you consider annealing the base end of a rifle cartridge case to be problematic when you are actually converting it to a shotgun case? It is no longer a rifle case operating at rifle pressures, but a shotgun case, and remember the hulls you reload have either paper or plastic as the walls and very thin brass or plastic bases. 410 2 1/2" has a chamber pressure for 1/2 oz at appx 12500 psi compared to a 303 MAP of 49000 psi. Also recall there is an entire world of difference between annealing brass to a softer more pliable state than over-heating it to a permanently ruined state, Cheers.

No 1, I think your logic is good.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by LawrenceA » 07 Sep 2021, 6:33 pm

boingk wrote:Thanks for the advice guys.

Straight shooter, I understand that with annealed cases and non-metallic projectiles the process should be fairly safe. I'm using waxed cotton wadding on top of 10gn (2.1cc dipper) of Trailboss with a pistol primer. As I understand it this will generate very low pressures but should be enough to form the cases - it may well need two firings from what I've heard.

I saw the Magma shot maker! Very cool piece of kit. I'm thinking more along the lines of a tin with a small hole in it over a bucket of water... very basic but the same process has been used for hundred of years in shot towers and small commercial casters.

Hopefully I can get to the range Tuesday after work.

- boingk

Tried the tine with a hole under it.
Couldn't get it to work. Tried different heights and size hole but did no good.
Ended up with fried eggs or needles and the tin cooled off too quick.
Good luck
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 08 Sep 2021, 10:59 am

another option is to google and have a look at quality everlasting 410 shells.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2021, 11:37 am

northdude wrote:another option is to google and have a look at quality everlasting 410 shells.

Are they brass shells?
Are they available in Australia?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 08 Sep 2021, 12:12 pm

LawrenceA wrote:
boingk wrote:Thanks for the advice guys.

Straight shooter, I understand that with annealed cases and non-metallic projectiles the process should be fairly safe. I'm using waxed cotton wadding on top of 10gn (2.1cc dipper) of Trailboss with a pistol primer. As I understand it this will generate very low pressures but should be enough to form the cases - it may well need two firings from what I've heard.

I saw the Magma shot maker! Very cool piece of kit. I'm thinking more along the lines of a tin with a small hole in it over a bucket of water... very basic but the same process has been used for hundred of years in shot towers and small commercial casters.

Hopefully I can get to the range Tuesday after work.

- boingk

Tried the tine with a hole under it.
Couldn't get it to work. Tried different heights and size hole but did no good.
Ended up with fried eggs or needles and the tin cooled off too quick.
Good luck

So it just spattered on the water causing the fried eggs? The shot machines seem to use oil, not sure if that makes a difference. Would going higher help so it's solid before hitting the water? Not sure how high you would need-know any 4 story unit blocks :D
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 08 Sep 2021, 12:13 pm

Rebel gunworks sells brass ones
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by northdude » 08 Sep 2021, 1:15 pm

bladeracer wrote:
northdude wrote:another option is to google and have a look at quality everlasting 410 shells.

Are they brass shells?

take a look and you tell me I don't live in australia but I presume you'd be able to I see a 303 case there. Goes into making the shot as well..
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by disco stu » 08 Sep 2021, 2:23 pm

Just googled quality everlasting 410 and this was the first hit. Looks like some info for both shells and making shot. All you need is a lathe-much cheaper than brass right?

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.nz/ ... lls-63170/
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2021, 2:44 pm

northdude wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Are they brass shells?

take a look and you tell me I don't live in australia but I presume you'd be able to I see a 303 case there. Goes into making the shot as well..

I did, but all I found was the same page as Stu.
I didn't find anything about these "everlasting" hulls.
It's interesting that he's using 9.3x74R brass, but that's more expensive than buying the Magtech .410 stuff, without having to form it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Sep 2021, 3:05 pm

bladeracer wrote:
northdude wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Are they brass shells?

I did, but all I found was the same page as Stu.
I didn't find anything about these "everlasting" hulls.
It's interesting that he's using 9.3x74R brass, but that's more expensive than buying the Magtech .410 stuff, without having to form it.

Perhaps, but I'm impressed with his simple DIY shot maker. I had a go years ago and didn't work too well. There might have another covid project there. LOL
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 08 Sep 2021, 5:21 pm

Most shot makers have a ramp covered with chalk that the drip rolls down before dropping into antifreeze or detergent of some form.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2021, 5:35 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Perhaps, but I'm impressed with his simple DIY shot maker. I had a go years ago and didn't work too well. There might have another covid project there. LOL

Yes, that was far more interesting than the case forming :-)
It would be neat to be able to produce my own shot.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 08 Sep 2021, 8:56 pm

oh well thought it might help the op in some way if that's what he was asking about. there's some clever buggers out there. I'm guessing you could do the same process with 303 instead of 9.3??
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bladeracer » 08 Sep 2021, 10:06 pm

northdude wrote:oh well thought it might help the op in some way if that's what he was asking about. there's some clever buggers out there. I'm guessing you could do the same process with 303 instead of 9.3??

I'm sure it has very useful information for this thread. I would think that you could expand .303 up to .410 using various mandrel, but it seems a convoluted method to me, and expensive if you don't have a lathe.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Sep 2021, 10:15 pm

bigpete wrote:Most shot makers have a ramp covered with chalk that the drip rolls down before dropping into antifreeze or detergent of some form.

Yes, that's what I've seen.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 09 Sep 2021, 12:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
northdude wrote:oh well thought it might help the op in some way if that's what he was asking about. there's some clever buggers out there. I'm guessing you could do the same process with 303 instead of 9.3??

I'm sure it has very useful information for this thread. I would think that you could expand .303 up to .410 using various mandrel, but it seems a convoluted method to me, and expensive if you don't have a lathe.

yea i know personally for me I wouldn't bother at all but if someone has the skills and wants to do it why not. Hes a very clever guy and I've seen some of the other things he does.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Sep 2021, 5:31 pm

I thought it was interesting that he rolled the brass. My understanding is that most just use wax or glue to hold the over wad in place. That's what I would to.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Sep 2021, 6:00 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I thought it was interesting that he rolled the brass. My understanding is that most just use wax or glue to hold the over wad in place. That's what I would to.

I would use a crimp die, just quicker and less messy. The crimping of plastic hulls is really the only reason I bought brass 12ga. and .410 shells.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition