Scoring FMJ tips for expansion

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Scoring FMJ tips for expansion

Post by kritch » 07 Apr 2014, 11:46 am

I'll clarify this from the start to say that I got this from watching a movie so if it's complete BS... Don't go too hard on a novice :lol:

Anyway... FMJ typically not good for hunting as they'll pencil through instead of expanding. Same for some match bullets potentially.

This bit in the movie was the guy had a thin file like a blade, and scored a cross in the tip of the bullet to make it expand. (For the story of the movie this was just about causing mess, not hunting).

Would such a practice have any legs in reality or is this just movie BS?
kritch
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Scoring FMJ tips for expansion

Post by 1290 » 07 Apr 2014, 1:11 pm

Firstly, I'd say there's a chance more game has been taken with jacketed bullets....Soviet/Russian/303/308, don't for a second think that fmjs will just travel through the 'target' and it will walk away, the 5.56 is designed to tumble and create devastation in the flesh... The other are obviously bigger and hit with more 'gusto'.

That said, if you scoring or cutting/marking a cross through the jacket will aid deformation, and 'wounding' as the projectile expands while wounding'... you can also neatly file of the tip to expose lead....creating a quasi soft point out of your milsurp...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Hilux2003 » 07 Apr 2014, 6:30 pm

From what I understand, the military FMJ's are "generally" long for their mass & only just stable when shot from their correct "parent" rifle. Once the Hague convention outlawed hollow points for other humans in military conflicts, the military had to come up with another way of causing a big wound channel in "other humans". When a projectile is "spin stablised" as from a normal rifle, the projectile is generally spinning on it's axis very fast.

If used for hunting at close quarters they tend to go straight through but given some distance, maybe 200 - 300m, they should tumble (also the given is, they strike a body similar to a human).

Some (back in the 1950's & 60's) did 'cut the tip off mil. issue FMJ .303's & go hunting but this could then blow the aluminum & lead core through the CuNi jacket, leaving the jacket in the bore.

For this to happen I suspect you would have to have a tight, fouled barrel & be using the full Mk7 load. Others have pulled the projectile & removed 2 or 3 strands of the cordite, to lower the velocity & pressure, then reseat the projectile & claim this stops the 'blow through' of the guts of the pil.

I have not witnessed a 'guts blown out of jacket' by cutting off the tip - yet but did see the results of a blocked barrel - not nice.

Think about it, the projectiles are designed to do a particular job & while FMJ's can be used for hunting, just be careful with shot placement & animal choise.

Experimental:
Another way is to pull the pil on the mil issue stuff & substutite a lighter HP pil, shouldn't be an over load - maybe measure the powder & remove 3-5% & test, as with all reloading, work up from a starting point.

From here on it's up to you.
Hilux2003
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Farmjer » 08 Apr 2014, 10:33 am

Short answer, yes. Chopping the top on a FMJ could promote expansion and create something along the lines of a quasi soft-point like Hilux said.

It worth noting that you're altering the bullet to work outside of it's intended design. No guarantee that it would work as above.

The end result might be some 'soft-point' like performance, some might grenade on impact instead, it could degrade the accuracy to an unacceptable amount, and so on...
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Farmjer » 08 Apr 2014, 10:34 am

Sorry, quasi soft-point like 1290 said.
Farmjer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by kritch » 08 Apr 2014, 7:33 pm

1290 wrote:Firstly, I'd say there's a chance more game has been taken with jacketed bullets....Soviet/Russian/303/308, don't for a second think that fmjs will just travel through the 'target' and it will walk away...

No of course it won't just whisper through and let them stroll away.

Like I said, "typically" not good.

Maybe I should have said not ideal instead.
kritch
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by inspector » 10 Apr 2014, 9:11 pm

Was this CSI by any chance?
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by kritch » 10 Apr 2014, 9:13 pm

The one were he shoots two mannequins with different colour paint inside?

Yeah that was it :lol:
kritch
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by inspector » 10 Apr 2014, 9:14 pm

Ha ha.

Yeah I was watching repeats recently and saw that one.
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bunnybuster » 12 Apr 2014, 5:32 pm

I have tried cutting the point off, to expose the core and also hollow pointing with a drill then firing into wet phone books, the result was not as I expected,

The steel jacket held together and there was no devastating expansion - Stick to factory SPs

Be safe BB.
bunnybuster
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by kritch » 13 Apr 2014, 7:41 am

Hmm,

Thanks BB.
kritch
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 17 Apr 2014, 7:55 am

Back in the 70's and 80's when Noah was a kid we used a pair of pliers to cut the end off 303's and we swore by them!

We also said Punk wouldn't die and ABBA was the greatest Band of all time and we would always store our guns in the wardrobe! :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by SendIt » 17 Apr 2014, 6:25 pm

Sooo, everything you said turned out to be wrong then? :lol:
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal