Load data for 52gr Rexem in 22-250.

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Load data for 52gr Rexem in 22-250.

Post by Paul » 22 Aug 2021, 5:46 pm

I've just got some 52gr 0.224 Rexem projectiles to load for my 22-250.

Looking at the ADI manual, there are two 52 gr projectiles listed for loading data : 52gr HDY A-Max and 52gr. Sierra HPBT. My query is which one to follow for load starting data etc, as there is a massive pressure difference between the two for a similar load of 2208 once you get above the starting loads. i.e

HDY A- Max 32gr 2208 45,500 CUP,
36gr 50,000 CUP

SIE HPBT 32 gr 2208 45,800 CUP,
36gr 64,100 CUP

This seems ie a really big difference at the higher powder loads for comparable velocities. Im mindful the high pressures. ANy thoughts on firstly which one is closer to the Rexem, and thoughts on the pressure difference?

Which data should I go with, given the differences in pressure?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Load data for 52gr Rexem in 22-250.

Post by bladeracer » 22 Aug 2021, 6:29 pm

Paul wrote:I've just got some 52gr 0.224 Rexem projectiles to load for my 22-250.

Looking at the ADI manual, there are two 52 gr projectiles listed for loading data : 52gr HDY A-Max and 52gr. Sierra HPBT. My query is which one to follow for load starting data etc, as there is a massive pressure difference between the two for a similar load of 2208 once you get above the starting loads. i.e

36gr 50,000 CUP

36gr 64,100 CUP

This seems ie a really big difference at the higher powder loads for comparable velocities. Im mindful the high pressures. ANy thoughts on firstly which one is closer to the Rexem, and thoughts on the pressure difference?

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Don't get caught up in the minutia, all load data are just a general guide so you have an idea of where to operate. Data for any jacketed 50-55gn bullet will be fine, cast and monolithic copper/brass bullets will have some differences in data, but not a lot. Much of ADI's data comes from computer modelling, not real-world testing so don't regard it as gospel.

When choosing powder look for one that has compressed maximum loads (good case-fill), while making good velocity at lower pressures than other choices.

Start at 32gn as suggested and, if you need more velocity for some reason, work up keeping an eye on any signs of pressure, primarily if the bolt gets harder to open that's a good time to back off. The extra pressure is working your brass harder than you want.

Primers are not an accurate indicator of pressures, at least not until you have lots of experience with that type of primer in that cartridge.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Re: Load data for 52gr Rexem in 22-250.

Post by Tilb004 » 23 Aug 2021, 10:24 pm

Paul wrote:I've just got some 52gr 0.224 Rexem projectiles to load for my 22-250.

36gr 50,000 CUP

36gr 64,100 CUP

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Hi paul

Ive just had a new kreiger barrel in 22-250 fitted to my Tikka .
After breakin ,
I started my load development at 35 gr of 2208 and finished at 36.6 going up in 2 gr increments .
Shooting 55 gr v-max and reload in lapua brass , cci large primers.
Found no signs of primer flattening out , settled on 35 gr .
Seating depth in 20 thou off the lands , an have read that if you seat further back you can reduce pressures more .
I have found that the ADI load data is pretty conservative at max load .
Always start on the low side just in case

Hope this helps

Tilbs
Tilb004
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition