Reloading info for Howa 223

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Re: Reloading info for Howa 223

Post by SCJ429 » 30 Jun 2022, 6:55 pm

animalpest wrote:
in2anity wrote:ADI brass is very good. There’s even been a movement to it club level TR as it’s significantly cheaper than your premium stuff and almost as good. Nice primer pockets and good longevity. Anneal if you can.

That hasn't been my experience. Recently loaded my first 200 new ADI cases in .223 and had them up to 13.5 thou headspace. Enough for some to not go bang. Still working on why. Rifle headspace is fine.

I pick up range scrap ADI 223 brass and run it through a small base body die, shoot it in my chamber. Then trim and neck turn and it is good enough to get my ES into single figures. It is not in the same league as Norma or Lapua but it is very good and much better than Federal, Remington or Winchester.
Did you get new brass and then bump the shoulder an extra 13 thou? I hope not. Don't bump the shoulder at all, for new brass I just run a mandrel through the necks to relieve some of the excessive tension they have and fire them off, if I am using a factory chamber.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Reloading info for Howa 223

Post by animalpest » 30 Jun 2022, 7:29 pm

Nope, just neck sized. Never touched the shoulder. Brass varies from 1 thou to 13.5 thou headspace.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Reloading ammunition