Reloading question

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading question

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Aug 2021, 10:11 am

If I go ahead and copy a formula for a cartridge, say S&B 30/30 150 grain, it should shoot exactly the same???
Is there anything that causes deviation, and If so, how much??
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Reloading question

Post by Downunder » 24 Aug 2021, 10:29 am

Harrynsw wrote:If I go ahead and copy a formula for a cartridge, say S&B 30/30 150 grain, it should shoot exactly the same???

Yes
Powder (even down to batch)
Primers
Projectile weights
Neck tension
Run out
etc

Whilst chances are it won’t shoot “exactly“ the same through load development you’ll most likely be able to do better than factory loads.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 24 Aug 2021, 11:53 am

Downunder wrote:
Harrynsw wrote:If I go ahead and copy a formula for a cartridge, say S&B 30/30 150 grain, it should shoot exactly the same???

Yes
Primers
Projectile weights
Neck tension
Run out
etc

Whilst chances are it won’t shoot “exactly“ the same through load development you’ll most likely be able to do better than factory loads.

Ditto to that
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 24 Aug 2021, 1:20 pm

How would you copy a factory load without knowing what powder it uses?
Just work up your own load to do what you want to do.
Consistency is key, not just in the components but also in your technique. Be robotic during the process :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 24 Aug 2021, 2:22 pm

Lots of assumptions here . The term "exactly the same " is very unlikely to apply .
What kind of deviation are you referring to ?
You don't know for sure how any load will perform until you try it in your gun .
The best way to proceed is select the basic components you want to use and then carefully work up a load that functions well in your gun .
You will not know what powder is used in S&B ammunition anyway because sometimes they use powders we can't buy and other times they blend powders .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by northdude » 24 Aug 2021, 5:23 pm

if you don't use s&b brass the internal case capacity might be different as well giving different pressure
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Aug 2021, 5:42 pm

Downunder wrote:

Yes
Primers
Projectile weights
Neck tension
Run out
etc

Cheers thanks
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Aug 2021, 5:43 pm

bladeracer wrote:

How would you copy a factory load without knowing what powder it uses?
Just work up your own load to do what you want to do.
Consistency is key, not just in the components but also in your technique. Be robotic during the process :-)

Good advice
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Aug 2021, 5:43 pm

JohnV wrote:Lots of assumptions here . The term "exactly the same " is very unlikely to apply .
What kind of deviation are you referring to ?
You don't know for sure how any load will perform until you try it in your gun .
The best way to proceed is select the basic components you want to use and then carefully work up a load that functions well in your gun .
You will not know what powder is used in S&B ammunition anyway because sometimes they use powders we can't buy and other times they blend powders .

Thanks bud
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Harrynsw » 24 Aug 2021, 5:44 pm

northdude wrote:if you don't use s&b brass the internal case capacity might be different as well giving different pressure

Got boxes of the ammo, was just wondering if I decided to reproduce
Harrynsw
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by PM3010 » 10 Apr 2022, 11:43 am

Hi there, I am fairly new to reloading and just going down the “ two thou Bump” process. I was wondering, and this is a question to the seasoned campaigners on this forum, Once I have my resizing die set up and happy with the out come, do I need to full length resize brass that I collect from the range or other sources that has been fired in other firearms? Or will my previously set up resizing die (set for the two thou bump in my rifle) do the trick. This is my thinking however I’m not really sure if I have to fully resize then so-called Fire form it for my rifle. Interested in the consensus of this forum. Thanks for you information in advance.
PM3010
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 10 Apr 2022, 11:52 am

PM3010 wrote:Hi there, I am fairly new to reloading and just going down the “ two thou Bump” process. I was wondering, and this is a question to the seasoned campaigners on this forum, Once I have my resizing die set up and happy with the out come, do I need to full length resize brass that I collect from the range or other sources that has been fired in other firearms? Or will my previously set up resizing die (set for the two thou bump in my rifle) do the trick. This is my thinking however I’m not really sure if I have to fully resize then so-called Fire form it for my rifle. Interested in the consensus of this forum. Thanks for you information in advance.

I run once-fired brass through the chamber first and any that don't chamber I size by bumping the shoulder to fit.
I don't think I ever FLS anything.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dnedative » 10 Apr 2022, 1:16 pm

I FLS second hand brass, there are some pretty loose chambers out there in just about every caliber I've found.
dnedative
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Apr 2022, 2:20 pm

bladeracer wrote:
PM3010 wrote:Hi there, I am fairly new to reloading and just going down the “ two thou Bump” process. I was wondering, and this is a question to the seasoned campaigners on this forum, Once I have my resizing die set up and happy with the out come, do I need to full length resize brass that I collect from the range or other sources that has been fired in other firearms? Or will my previously set up resizing die (set for the two thou bump in my rifle) do the trick. This is my thinking however I’m not really sure if I have to fully resize then so-called Fire form it for my rifle. Interested in the consensus of this forum. Thanks for you information in advance.

I run once-fired brass through the chamber first and any that don't chamber I size by bumping the shoulder to fit.

This,,,^^^
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by PM3010 » 16 Apr 2022, 4:43 pm

Thanks for the info Gents, certainly appreciate it.

PM
PM3010
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 16 Apr 2022, 5:13 pm

You may well think you "bump" the shoulder in brass fired from a different rifle, but the chamber on that rifle may shorter than yours. Until you fire it, it won't conform to your rifles chamber.

At least after either FL sizing or bumping it will fit your chamber. Or as previously said, check it fits first.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 16 Apr 2022, 8:20 pm

I adjust my die and bump it to nicely fit the chamber I intend to use the ammunition in
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 16 May 2022, 2:08 pm

deleted
Last edited by JohnV on 16 May 2022, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 16 May 2022, 2:45 pm

For cases that won't chamber , until you clean the case and black it up and then re-chamber it , you don't know where it's binding . It could be too long in the shoulder to fat at the base or even binding on the taper of the case or a combination of that . Aside from what you think is happening it's the chamber specs that have the last say and as others have said size one a bit at a time until it just chambers with some slight resistance then turn the die down 1/16 of a turn more ( 7/8 x 14 thread ) , lock it and size the whole batch . This should give easy chambering of rounds and about .004 head clearance . If you want a tighter fitting case then turn the die down 1/32 of a turn about .002 clearance . For Auto , Lever and Pump actions you don't want ammo that is tight to chamber . Bolt actions have more caming power and can crash in a slight amount .
Using FLS dies has a few issues one being that dirty cases and incorrect neck lubrication can mean that as you withdraw the case it hangs onto the neck and pulls the shoulder back out which still leaves the case not chambering easy and you need extra sizing to allow for this . So clean the case well and also inside the neck and lube case body with RCBS liquid and the necks inside and out with 50% Graphite - 50% Moly mixture . No lube is require at the shoulder and should be used as a separation zone between the body lube and the neck lube .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 16 May 2022, 5:47 pm

Is moly available at gun shops ? Eg rebels or qge or shooters delight is local for me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 16 May 2022, 5:52 pm

Blr243 wrote:Is moly available at gun shops ? Eg rebels or qge or shooters delight is local for me

Molybdenum grease should be available at auto parts shops.
https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Penrite-500g-Molygrease-Ep-3/6107832
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 19 May 2022, 9:52 pm

Blr243 wrote:Is moly available at gun shops ? Eg rebels or qge or shooters delight is local for me

For Moly powder you go to bearing supply outlets . Choose the fine grade .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 27 May 2022, 5:10 pm

JohnV wrote:

For Moly powder you go to bearing supply outlets . Choose the fine grade . You want a dry lube for necks
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 27 May 2022, 5:38 pm

Thank u. Blade and John
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition