Stainless steel pins for wet tumbling - what length size?

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Stainless steel pins for wet tumbling - what length size?

Post by Paul » 25 Aug 2021, 5:51 pm

Hiya all,

Looking at setting up a wet tumbler and getting my bits n pieces. What size pins are recommended?

I see that AussieSaphire have the 1.1mm x 10 mm.However I see that others have sourced the USA made ones and they are 1.2mm x 6.47mm (0.047" x 0.255").

Quite a difference in length and wondering if it makes any difference. I'm thinking the smaller ones would get into the primer hole better and inside as well to clean cases better. I'm reloading 22-250 and .308.

Thanks in advance.

Paul
Paul
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: Stainless steel pins for wet tumbling - what length siz

Post by Bello » 26 Aug 2021, 5:55 am

Hi Mate
Clever firearms had a special on a Lyman tumbler, it included stainless media and one portion of cleaning solution.
Being lock down, I couldn't resist and bought it. :D
I will have to see what size the media is and get back to you. But it was Lyman media.
You have to watch the stuff, it's like an escape artist, I am finding it everywhere :lol:

Does a good job. I bought the Hornady tumbling solution and they come out nice and shinny (I only use a cap full of solution per wash in hot water).
I tumble for an hour.
The case do go dull over time.
It can be a little hit and miss with primer pockets. Some get cleaned really well and others not so much.
Attachments
Untitled attachment 00017.jpg
Untitled attachment 00017.jpg (62.93 KiB) Viewed 1098 times
Bello
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Danny » 26 Aug 2021, 6:31 am

I don't think you'll have an issue with either size. I wet tumble and just use a squirt of dishwasher liquid and a touch of lemishine.
Danny
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Sarco » 26 Aug 2021, 11:06 pm

I use the aussie sapphires ones (1.1mm X 10mm). Work absolutely fine.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition