Cast 300blk in WFA1L, SP-15 or Rem 7615

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Cast 300blk in WFA1L, SP-15 or Rem 7615

Post by InisBineest » 26 Aug 2021, 9:55 am

If there is anyone here successfully running cast 300blk loads in an rifle that feeds into a AR type bolt lockup, could you sing out. I'm trying to work up a load for 165gr cast pills in my WFA1L but I've run into an issue with the pills being gouged as they feed. They do feed, and with not enough resistance to jam up or be a problem, but I'm not liking the possibility of lead flecks building up in the action or chamber as they scratch off the projectile.
Attachments
Screenshot_20210826-095450~2.png
Screenshot_20210826-095450~2.png (327.74 KiB) Viewed 2682 times
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Cast 300blk in WFA1L, SP-15 or Rem 7615

Post by InisBineest » 26 Aug 2021, 9:56 am

To note I have tried a few different seating depths, all with the same result. Too long and they do not feed at all.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 26 Aug 2021, 11:14 am

InisBineest wrote:If there is anyone here successfully running cast 300blk loads in an rifle that feeds into a AR type bolt lockup, could you sing out. I'm trying to work up a load for 165gr cast pills in my WFA1L but I've run into an issue with the pills being gouged as they feed. They do feed, and with not enough resistance to jam up or be a problem, but I'm not liking the possibility of lead flecks building up in the action or chamber as they scratch off the projectile.

Considering there's two "marks" on each, they look like lands-marks to me, i.e. OAL is just too long. Have you tried seating deeper? (even unrealistically deep, in a dummy) as a test? That said, the standard BLK chamber has a long freebore though - they must be bloody long for my theory to hold water...
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 26 Aug 2021, 11:50 am

Tried seating them as low as the olgive would allow ... same marks, same problem:( I have ordered a mould with a pointer bullet profile to try.
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 26 Aug 2021, 12:38 pm

I don't know if this is the case, but do you have AR-15 style feed ramps to the chamber? These are sized more for .22 bullets for .223 and 5.56. I've heard of this issue giving people problems with longer fatter bullets for 300 Blk. Quite often manufacturers will just use the regular .22 AR-15 feedramps for 300 Blk barrels.

Also what sort of OAL are you running? I can't really tell exactly with the angle of the picture, but it just seems a bit long.

I have not done cast loads for 300 Blk yet but do lots of other 300 Blk reloading on my Youtube page. I may do some powder coated cast loads in the future.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by InisBineest » 26 Aug 2021, 12:54 pm

wanneroo wrote:I don't know if this is the case, but do you have AR-15 style feed ramps to the chamber? These are sized more for .22 bullets for .223 and 5.56. I've heard of this issue giving people problems with longer fatter bullets for 300 Blk. Quite often manufacturers will just use the regular .22 AR-15 feedramps for 300 Blk barrels.

Also what sort of OAL are you running? I can't really tell exactly with the angle of the picture, but it just seems a bit long.

I have not done cast loads for 300 Blk yet but do lots of other 300 Blk reloading on my Youtube page. I may do some powder coated cast loads in the future.

Ive tried a few different oal measurements from the longest that fits to the shortest that the bullet design allows. Same result. You may have a point about the barrel extension though, I suspect it is just a standard M4 style for 5.56. I'll look into that. Might need to polish the free ramps
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bill » 27 Aug 2021, 6:46 am

have you tried a Hawkesbury river cast projectile, they worked for me in a 7.62x39 when I was playing with subsonic 180gr loads

what projectiles are they ??
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by InisBineest » 30 Aug 2021, 12:40 pm

These projectiles are from the Lee mould, .309, 160gr, 1 olgive nose. Im ordering an NOE mould that has a 5 olgive nose to feed better specifically in 300blk rifles. Let's see how it goes!
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 31 Aug 2021, 12:05 am

InisBineest wrote:These projectiles are from the Lee mould, .309, 160gr, 1 olgive nose. Im ordering an NOE mould that has a 5 olgive nose to feed better specifically in 300blk rifles. Let's see how it goes!

Sounds like a plan. :thumbsup:
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by vmaxaust » 19 Sep 2021, 5:05 pm

InisBineest wrote:If there is anyone here successfully running cast 300blk loads in an rifle that feeds into a AR type bolt lockup, could you sing out. I'm trying to work up a load for 165gr cast pills in my WFA1L but I've run into an issue with the pills being gouged as they feed. They do feed, and with not enough resistance to jam up or be a problem, but I'm not liking the possibility of lead flecks building up in the action or chamber as they scratch off the projectile.

I've been using my own 138gr spitzer style cast bullet in both a Warwick WFA1L and a Ruger Ranch rifle. They are double Hi Tek coated and sized to .309". They do not have gas checks and frankly don't need them. I use 13.5gr of ADI 2205 powder which produces an average of 1800fps velocity and they are very accurate to at least 100 meters. Not talking crazy accuracy like some of the heroes on this list, but easily 2" groups at 100 meters.
DSC_5341.JPG
DSC_5341.JPG (392.4 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
I only use them for target shooting and because I can't see well over the 100 I don't care what happens over that distance.

They produce zero barrel leading and they feed like butter in my Warwick or the Ruger. I think your bullet shape is the problem. A spitzer would leave the magazine correctly compared to a straight bullet. The ogive needs to have that spitzer style angle and draw in as it rises.

I have a video posted on Rumble...
https://rumble.com/vlhbk0-loading-300bl ... c7&mrefc=2
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by InisBineest » 19 Sep 2021, 7:23 pm

vmaxaust wrote:

I've been using my own 138gr spitzer style cast bullet in both a Warwick WFA1L and a Ruger Ranch rifle. They are double Hi Tek coated and sized to .309". They do not have gas checks and frankly don't need them. I use 13.5gr of ADI 2205 powder which produces an average of 1800fps velocity and they are very accurate to at least 100 meters. Not talking crazy accuracy like some of the heroes on this list, but easily 2" groups at 100 meters.
DSC_5341.JPG
I only use them for target shooting and because I can't see well over the 100 I don't care what happens over that distance.

They produce zero barrel leading and they feed like butter in my Warwick or the Ruger. I think your bullet shape is the problem. A spitzer would leave the magazine correctly compared to a straight bullet. The ogive needs to have that spitzer style angle and draw in as it rises.

I have a video posted on Rumble...
https://rumble.com/vlhbk0-loading-300bl ... c7&mrefc=2

That looks great! What mould are you using to form those?
InisBineest
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 19 Sep 2021, 8:33 pm

I have production casting machines and use custom made moulds to make these bullets. This was my own design drawn up and made for me by NVB who took over making the Ballisticast casting machines in the U.S
I also have another set of moulds made by LBT in the U.S for use in my Magma casting machine. With all the lockups down here we can't shoot now so I didn't rush to cast some of those yet.
These are actually a larger diameter bullet that will size to .311" or .312" As with any mould you don't always know 100% what the final as cast size will be till you cast some.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 20 Sep 2021, 6:49 am

Vmaxaust have you considered selling those? I might be interested in purchasing some.
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by vmaxaust » 20 Sep 2021, 8:11 am

in2anity wrote:Vmaxaust have you considered selling those? I might be interested in purchasing some.

I sell lots of bullets, mainly handgun type.
I can send you a few to load and try before you buy them. That way you can confirm they work for you.

I'm not a mass production producer so I often cannot match prices of the big guys but you are welcome to try first.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 20 Sep 2021, 9:45 am

vmaxaust wrote:
I sell lots of bullets, mainly handgun type.
I can send you a few to load and try before you buy them. That way you can confirm they work for you.

I'm not a mass production producer so I often cannot match prices of the big guys but you are welcome to try first.

PMd you :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition