AS50 suitability for handgun

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

AS50 suitability for handgun

Post by Bayan Dundee » 01 Sep 2021, 6:43 am

Hi guys, with the `complete lack of powder supplies in FNQ, especially for handgun reloading, most like myself are happy for things to just go bang, so we can maintain our attendance requirements.
Have managed to find a supply of ADI AS50 powder, have searched old ADI reloading manuals and could not find any data for handgun rounds, only some for AS30.
Question is, has anyone loaded with this before and can confirm that it is suitable for handgun ammo in a pinch, until powder supplies return?
Looking at any one of these, 38 super, 40 s&w, 10mm auto and 9x25 Dillon. Thanks
Bayan Dundee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: AS50 suitability for handgun

Post by boingk » 01 Sep 2021, 7:15 am

Looks like it's one stage faster than AP50N according to ADI.

I'd try it in place of AP50 and reduce the starting load by 10% and see where you are at.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Danny » 01 Sep 2021, 7:17 am

According to adi it has the same burn rates as aps450 so you should be right in any calibers that can take that. From my understanding the flakes are larger so may not meter as well but I don't think you'll have an issue making moderate loads in those cals. http://www.adiworldclass.com.au/burning-rates/
Danny
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bayan Dundee » 01 Sep 2021, 8:36 am

Danny wrote:According to adi it has the same burn rates as aps450 so you should be right in any calibers that can take that. From my understanding the flakes are larger so may not meter as well but I don't think you'll have an issue making moderate loads in those cals. http://www.adiworldclass.com.au/burning-rates/

thanks, found that the burn rate was in the ballpark, was just worried about the larger flake size occupying to much volume in the case and causing pressure issues, but I suppose if I am happier with a smaller bang, then things will be fine. Will purchase the powder before it goes and start working things up
Bayan Dundee
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Danny » 01 Sep 2021, 9:04 am

I'd be more worried about powder not filling the case enough over filling it up as long as it's not getting too compressed.
Danny
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 01 Sep 2021, 2:51 pm

Bayan Dundee wrote:Hi guys, with the `complete lack of powder supplies in FNQ, especially for handgun reloading, most like myself are happy for things to just go bang, so we can maintain our attendance requirements.
Have managed to find a supply of ADI AS50 powder, have searched old ADI reloading manuals and could not find any data for handgun rounds, only some for AS30.
Question is, has anyone loaded with this before and can confirm that it is suitable for handgun ammo in a pinch, until powder supplies return?
Looking at any one of these, 38 super, 40 s&w, 10mm auto and 9x25 Dillon. Thanks

This is all I have for the 40 Smith and Wesson , 10 mil as50 is too fast understandable ap70 would be your best friend and most of calibres that is like rocking horse s*** at the moment.

Screenshot_20210901-145016_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20210901-145016_Gallery.jpg (551.71 KiB) Viewed 2406 times
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 01 Sep 2021, 5:15 pm

I have a 500g tub of AS50N that I'll need to try with pistol loads at some point, I picked it up a couple of months ago as it was one of the last fast powder options available in the store, a few days later they were down to none and haven't had any more in since.

From my research so far it's essentially the same as AP50N but cut into flakes rather than the granules that the pistol powder uses to make smaller volume throws more consistent. Weight for weight the AP50N tables can be used for a starting point.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sarco » 01 Sep 2021, 6:43 pm

I have both AP50 and AS50 and to me they are virtually interchangeable. AS = shotgun, AP = Pistol. I would have no hesitation in reloading AS50 to that stated by ADI for AP50.

The only issue I have noted is that the AS50 has larger flakes than AP50 and as such does not meter as well (Dillon Square Deal is what I use), as such caution needs to be exercised when loading.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 01 Sep 2021, 9:58 pm

Sarco wrote:I have both AP50 and AS50 and to me they are virtually interchangeable. AS = shotgun, AP = Pistol. I would have no hesitation in reloading AS50 to that stated by ADI for AP50.

The only issue I have noted is that the AS50 has larger flakes than AP50 and as such does not meter as well (Dillon Square Deal is what I use), as such caution needs to be exercised when loading.

Yep I used to run AS50 in 2 38spl and a 45 ACP .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition