44mag / 357mag

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

44mag / 357mag

Post by Cal-ApeR » 30 Sep 2021, 10:13 am

Hi folks,

Looking for some advice. I haven't ever reloaded for my Rossi 44mag. Only ever used factory. I've recently acquired a Rossi in 357 that I got for my boy to plink with.

I hope to reload for both. I have a couple of reloading manuals but they are currently packed in storage so I can't refer to them at this time, thus the reason I am here.

Is there a universal powder I can use for both cartridges? Is it necessary to use Magnum primers in both?
I also hope to cast some pills in time for these. I assume I would be looking at a different powder again for this.

If anyone has any specific Rossi loads and preffered casts, also keen to know.
Any input is appreciated!

Thanks
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 44mag / 357mag

Post by bigpete » 30 Sep 2021, 10:59 am

Ar2205 and trailboss will work in both. I used to load 2205 and jacketed and trailboss and lead in my Rossi 44 mag. Was a brilliantly accurate little gun too
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 30 Sep 2021, 11:08 am

For plinking loads using cast bullets, whether you make them or buy them, Trailboss, Unique, AP70, AS30 are powders that will work in both cases. No need for "magnum" primers but you'll need large pistol for the .44Mag and small pistol for the .357Mag.
Use the data from ADI online reloading information for single action pistol for reduced loads, you'll find the maximum "pistol" loads to be safe in your rifles. http://www.adiworldclass.com.au/data-si ... ion-pistol
Yeah, I know, those powders are scarce but if you can get your hands on them, they work. I have rifles and pistols in both and have used the above mentioned powders and cast bullets a lot. :thumbsup:
As per usual, it is up to you to determine what is "safe" when it comes to loading ammo and to use "published" loads. That is why I have posted the link above for you to use rather than recommending any specific loads.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 30 Sep 2021, 1:52 pm

There might not be any ideal powder available in the whole of Australia so you will probably need to see what you can find and then come back and see if anyone thinks it's usable.
ADI have stopped producing all fast powders and Alliant imports have all been bought up, even the next Alliant shipment may all disappear to existing back orders, to make matters worse, even primers can be difficult to find in some parts of the country.

ADI's AR2205 is about as slow a powder as you can use for pistol cartridges, it can be more difficult to ignite and doesn't always fully burn in 38/44 special loads and given the high powder volume in magnum loads magnum primers are a better choice if you have the option. There is load data available for 38/44 special and 357/44 magnum cartridges so it's a good choice to do everything. ADI aren't producing it right now but said they have enough in stock to supply dealers until they do, but it also seems to have been bought up everywhere.

Finally, don't use loading figures from internet forums without being sure they are safe for your projectiles and firearms, always check the manufacturer's load data, start with safe minimum loads and work up slowly if you need more power.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 30 Sep 2021, 2:03 pm

Never had a problem with 2205 burning in 44 magnum with standard primers yet....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by rc42 » 30 Sep 2021, 3:23 pm

I had some 38 specials with 10gn of 2205, 158gn HRBC projectiles and Fiochhi small pistol primers, used in a S&W 686 with 6" barrel, all rounds had some unburned powder and the occasional one didn't ignite the powder at all. The pressure from the primer pushed the projectile into the forcing cone and locked the cylinder up, lucky it didn't go all the way into the barrel or I might have sent another one behind it and done some serious damage.

Never had an issue (so far) with CCI 500 primers but I was advised that magnum pistol primers or small rifle primers are always a better choice with 2205.
44 uses larger primers so certainly less of an issue for those.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 30 Sep 2021, 4:26 pm

I think for plinking, then just loading with Trail Boss would be my choice. I think it would work out cheaper, powder wise. I have used Trail Boss for plinking with my old 44 mag, lever action. The loads came from reviewing data from ADI and working from there.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by boingk » 30 Sep 2021, 5:05 pm

Mate if you can get it Trailboss is a hoot with cast (or jacketed) projectiles and very safe - load it to capacity without compression and seat the projectile. Done, there's your load. I usually roll about 95% available space so there is a slight rustle when shaken just to keep it safe; Trailboss doesn't like being compressed.

Seeing as you're in Queensland you may be able to get Alliant 2400. This is a few mate's powder of choice as it burns cleaner than 2205 and at the moment may be more readily available up your way.

I've had good results with 2205 with 240gn projectiles in the 44 mag, giving 1500fps or so with a 20gn load. The 357 Mag I load with 125gn Berry's copper plated and 18gn 2205 for about 1900fps or 158gn cast with Trailboss.

Cheers - boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by hunting99 » 30 Sep 2021, 6:28 pm

Good luck finding any powder, I can’t
hunting99
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 30 Sep 2021, 7:22 pm

I used to use 2400 powder then swapped to W296 in the .44 mag some 30+ years ago. Used that load for many years with 180, 210 and 240 gr jacketed bullets in Marlin levers and a Ruger Deerstalker.

Nowadays I mostly use 2205 but do find it's a bit dirtier.

Have always used magnum pistol primers.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 30 Sep 2021, 10:04 pm

Thanks all. Exactly what I was after. To throw a spanner in the mix.... Anyone casting for either and able to recommend a quality mold?
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2021, 10:18 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Thanks all. Exactly what I was after. To throw a spanner in the mix.... Anyone casting for either and able to recommend a quality mold?

Cast Bullet Engineering.
Lots and lots of variations you can choose from, especially in getting the bullet diameter your rifle prefers.
I use their 432" in my Marlin .44.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cal-ApeR » 30 Sep 2021, 10:27 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Cal-ApeR wrote:Thanks all. Exactly what I was after. To throw a spanner in the mix.... Anyone casting for either and able to recommend a quality mold?

Cast Bullet Engineering.
Lots and lots of variations you can choose from, especially in getting the bullet diameter your rifle prefers.
I use their 432" in my Marlin .44.

Thanks mate, I will look it up. Cheers
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by boingk » 30 Sep 2021, 11:06 pm

Hi mate, CBE might make some bloody good mould but I'd be tempted to start cheap if you're getting into it. This will get you started in a mould cheaply and with decent quality:

Link to ebay click here

They do a TL358 for the 357 Mag, too. Handles included, ready to roll, just take out of the pack and give a quick lube with grease or vasoline as specified and you're away.

Now get a $12 cast iron pan from Kmart, a 1000W hotplate from ebay (exposed coil element type, not solid surface) and a small ladle of come sort. Lee do a very affordable cast one, or a big stainless serving spoon with a lip in one edge made with pliers will suffice - they're $5 at kmart by the way and work just fine for skimming dross and casting bullets.

So whats that - $55 for a mould and roughly $50 in your casting setup? Laughing. That probably only buys about 400x 44 Mag projectiles and you can probably make that in an hour without too much effort.

I've been cranking out a heap of projectiles using this method. All I use is wheel weights from local tyre shops. Most here give them away for a round of morning coffees. I melt it down, skim the crap off then cast the lead alloy from the weights into a muffin tin to make ingots. Its cheap and works just fine, and each ingot weighs about 1.5 pounds. Use the ingots as necessary to melt down and cast your bullets.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bladeracer » 30 Sep 2021, 11:12 pm

You do make an excellent point Boingk, Lee is the place to start, and you'll likely need their handles anyway if you buy moulds from elsewhere.
Lee moulds, like all their gear, do let you make good stuff.

boingk wrote:Hi mate, CBE might make some bloody good mould but I'd be tempted to start cheap if you're getting into it. This will get you started in a mould cheaply and with decent quality:

Link to ebay click here

They do a TL358 for the 357 Mag, too. Handles included, ready to roll, just take out of the pack and give a quick lube with grease or vasoline as specified and you're away.

Now get a $12 cast iron pan from Kmart, a 1000W hotplate from ebay (exposed coil element type, not solid surface) and a small ladle of come sort. Lee do a very affordable cast one, or a big stainless serving spoon with a lip in one edge made with pliers will suffice - they're $5 at kmart by the way and work just fine for skimming dross and casting bullets.

So whats that - $55 for a mould and roughly $50 in your casting setup? Laughing. That probably only buys about 400x 44 Mag projectiles and you can probably make that in an hour without too much effort.

I've been cranking out a heap of projectiles using this method. All I use is wheel weights from local tyre shops. Most here give them away for a round of morning coffees. I melt it down, skim the crap off then cast the lead alloy from the weights into a muffin tin to make ingots. Its cheap and works just fine, and each ingot weighs about 1.5 pounds. Use the ingots as necessary to melt down and cast your bullets.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 01 Oct 2021, 9:00 pm

I've used AP70N and AR2205 for years reloading both of these in rifles, and traliboss in pistols as well. AP70N is no longer in production so I'd assume an equivalent like Unique would work just as well.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by boingk » 01 Oct 2021, 11:01 pm

bladeracer wrote:You do make an excellent point Boingk, Lee is the place to start, and you'll likely need their handles anyway if you buy moulds from elsewhere.
Lee moulds, like all their gear, do let you make good stuff.

Cheers mate. Not to mention you won't know what the rifle likes until you try it.

If I hadn't got an inexpensive Lee mould for my 45-70 Marlin I'd probably have no idea it has a preference for larger projectiles in the 460~462 range with the alloy I have access to. 459 is marginal and anything in the 457 to 458 range has a good chance of hitting completely sideways at just 25m!

Now if I'd dropped $150+ on a CBE setup without that knowledge I'd be a little bit peeved at my early eagerness. Now I know, and will likely move my Lee mould on to its next owner for a reasonable price... or practise enlarging the cavity with a spinded projectile and some abrasive paste.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by bigpete » 02 Oct 2021, 2:02 am

You can always cherry an undersized mold....
I've got a CBE mold and tbh I hate it,have not once managed to get bullets cast from it to stabilise and thats in 3 different rifles.
My lee 405gn mold however....got great groups from the start with that one.

I've got an rcbs 240gn 44 mag mold,and a lee 310gn 44 mag mold,again I've had best luck with the lee. They just seem to work
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2021, 4:52 pm

boingk wrote:Hi mate, CBE might make some bloody good mould but I'd be tempted to start cheap if you're getting into it. This will get you started in a mould cheaply and with decent quality:

Link to ebay click here

I've been doing that way for years. But I use a camp gas stove. I think the hot plate would be better though. Better control.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition