257 projectile

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

257 projectile

Post by phill55phill » 13 Oct 2021, 4:32 pm

I am chasing a 257 calibre projectile in 131 grn 133 grn or 135 grn i only need one for a project thanks
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: 257 projectile

Post by bladeracer » 13 Oct 2021, 4:53 pm

phill55phill wrote:I am chasing a 257 calibre projectile in 131 grn 133 grn or 135 grn i only need one for a project thanks

Does it have to be a bullet?
Maybe just turn one on a lathe?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by phill55phill » 14 Oct 2021, 7:33 am

It is so i can get the throat deafth right on a new build thanks i would nead the exaxt dimentions
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Oct 2021, 7:49 am

The heaviest bullets you are going to find on the shelf at any gun shop will be 120gr. What cartridge are you thinking of chambering for that you need a non-existing bullet to set the throat in? SAAMI specs will tell you what chamber dimensions are needed for standard chamberings, unless you are building a U-beaut personal wildcat, then you're on your own.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Oct 2021, 9:46 am

G'day phill55phill,
I would suggest you decide on the make of projectile first, then make your calculations based on the info the bullet maker gives you regarding riding length and ogive. The only heavy .25 I can recall is the Berger 135g HPBT, all the others are 120g. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by phill55phill » 14 Oct 2021, 10:54 am

I am biulding a 257 roberts with a 1.8 twist and the smith wants a loaded round to get the throat lenght right ,if i use a 120grn it will mean seating the projectiles to deep ..
The distributers cant give me a date as to when the next ship ent of 133 and 135 bergers are arriving
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Oct 2021, 11:23 am

Would think bladeracers suggestion is your best bet instead of having to wait for a new shipment, get the data from the Berger Website and turn one up on a lathe out of brass or copper. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2021, 12:14 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:Would think bladeracers suggestion is your best bet instead of having to wait for a new shipment, get the data from the Berger Website and turn one up on a lathe out of brass or copper. Cheers.

You'd really need a bullet to work from I think. I made brass copies of the 162gn 7mm ELDM's.

I don't know that it's sensible to build a rifle around a specific bullet you may have trouble sourcing at times.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Oct 2021, 1:18 pm

G'day bladeracer,
Bergers website includes all the technical details regarding OAL, ogive length, boat tail length, riding length etc to make an exact facsimile of the bullet phill55phill wants to use, it would be easy for any Fitter or Toolmaker, even a gunsmith, to make a copy out of any material to use for aetting up his chamber. One of the reasons I like Berger is their wilingness to give customers good info, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 14 Oct 2021, 2:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:Would think bladeracers suggestion is your best bet instead of having to wait for a new shipment, get the data from the Berger Website and turn one up on a lathe out of brass or copper. Cheers.

You'd really need a bullet to work from I think. I made brass copies of the 162gn 7mm ELDM's.

I don't know that it's sensible to build a rifle around a specific bullet you may have trouble sourcing at times.

When you consider building a rifle first thing to consider is what is the target weather it be paper which you have environmental issues with wind drifting and such or whether it be animal second most important thing is the projectile then you build a cartridge and a rifle around that projectile you just buy enough of it to shoot the barrel out up front he will need the actual projectile he has chosen or all the exact dimensions so he can make one picked a bad time to build a rifle in my opinion .
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 14 Oct 2021, 2:48 pm

deye243 wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

When you consider building a rifle first thing to consider is what is the target weather it be paper which you have environmental issues with wind drifting and such or whether it be animal second most important thing is the projectile then you build a cartridge and a rifle around that projectile you just buy enough of it to shoot the barrel out up front he will need the actual projectile he has chosen or all the exact dimensions so he can make one picked a bad time to build a rifle in my opinion .

Agreed, but does anybody in Oz keep that much stock of Berger bullets that you can just buy a couple-thousand of an oddball diameter?
Probably worth trying a bulk order through Reloading International.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 14 Oct 2021, 2:55 pm

Yep you just gotta be quick and have the money and usually you need 1500 rounds most long-range calibres only have an accurate barrel live between 900 and 1500 rounds if you're lucky
Last edited by deye243 on 14 Oct 2021, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by phill55phill » 14 Oct 2021, 4:32 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:G'day bladeracer,
Bergers website includes all the technical details regarding OAL, ogive length, boat tail length, riding length etc to make an exact facsimile of the bullet phill55phill wants to use, it would be easy for any Fitter or Toolmaker, even a gunsmith, to make a copy out of any material to use for aetting up his chamber. One of the reasons I like Berger is their wilingness to give customers good info, Cheers.

I am a fitter machinist
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Larry » 14 Oct 2021, 6:46 pm

I would get the bullet in if you are having a custom barrel made. I always send a blank made up round to the gunsmith with instructions on how much off the lands I would like the chamber to be.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by phill55phill » 15 Oct 2021, 7:02 am

Larry wrote:I would get the bullet in if you are having a custom barrel made. I always send a blank made up round to the gunsmith with instructions on how much off the lands I would like the chamber to be.

Thats why i need one thanks
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 15 Oct 2021, 1:56 pm

phill55phill wrote:
Larry wrote:I would get the bullet in if you are having a custom barrel made. I always send a blank made up round to the gunsmith with instructions on how much off the lands I would like the chamber to be.

Thats why i need one thanks

If I were building a common calibre, like .224", 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm or .308 I might risk it.
But the fact that there doesn't appear to be any stock of these .257" bullets available in country, I'd want a lifetime supply on my shelf first. Even the common calibers of Berger have supply issues occasionally.

Have you confirmed with Berger that there is supply in the US?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by phill55phill » 16 Oct 2021, 5:13 am

I dont have to fire those bullets all the time i can still use 120 or 115 grn i just want the clearance to the lands for when they are available .
I have a 6.5x55 and i use 140 and 120 grn projectiles in it
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by phill55phill » 16 Oct 2021, 5:14 am

I dont have to fire those bullets all the time i can still use 120 or 115 grn i just want the clearance to the lands for when they are available .
I have a 6.5x55 and i use 140 and 120 grn projectiles in it
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 16 Oct 2021, 8:55 am

I suppose it depends on your intended use. Unless you are single loading, your magazine will determine the maximum over-all length of your cartridges.
I've got rifles in both .257 Roberts and .257 Roberts Ackley Improved. Used them for vaporising rabbits with 75gr hollow points to dropping mickey bulls with 120gr partitions in hunting applications. Best all round loading for me was using 100gr bullets @ 3200 f/s, rabbits, foxes, roo's, goats, pigs and deer, no problems. ( That was a warm load in a custom built, heavy barrelled rifle with a Mauser Mark X action, 1/10" twist, not a recommendation for general reloading )
Even used the Roberts for metallic silhouette when I first started, 120gr spitzer boat-tails had the accuracy needed and knocked down the 500m rams no worries.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by wrenchman » 18 Oct 2021, 2:17 am

I have wanted a 257 Robert's for decades it is not a caliber chambered much here in the states.
I see cz chambers it but I would have to order it i would love to see a old model 70 in it
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Oct 2021, 7:58 am

I've seen Rugers chambered in it, mine are custom built jobs but I do have a 1952 FN Mauser in it.
I've always had my eye out for a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight, I just like 'em.
It's a great round for hunting down here, there 'aint nothin' it won't drop. Data for factory spec ammo is always very mild and doesn't show the true potential of the round. I'm a bit of a fan of the 1/4 bore :thumbsup:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition