There seem to be some dud batches of CCI/Federal 22LR

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

There seem to be some dud batches of CCI/Federal 22LR

Post by rc42 » 31 Oct 2021, 4:18 pm

I've heard from a couple of sources now and have seen the problem first hand where about 1 in 10 22LR rimfire cartridges misfire due to no powder in them.
It seems to be affecting recently bought ammo in Australia and could be barrel wrecking if the projectile squibs and doesn't clear the barrel just from the primer going off and a good round is fired behind it.

I've seen it with CCI Standard and have seen reports of Federal being affected too.

If you have any recently bought CCI/Federal I'd suggest opening up and weighing some rounds, they are generally very close with 40gn for the projectile, 10gn for the brass and 1gn for the powder. We checked and found about 90% were around 51gn and 10% around 50gn and that latter group had no powder at all.

I've not heard about any firearms being damaged due to this but the risk is very high, if you have new ammo please be more careful than usual.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Re: There seem to be some dud batches of CCI/Federal 22LR

Post by Bugman » 31 Oct 2021, 5:30 pm

Have seen, recently a couple of rounds that did not ignite and upon removing the projectile, there was a minimum amount of powder. They were CCI standard velocity.
They were not mine and I use a fair amount of this ammo and have had ( to date) no real problems.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by SwissMiss » 31 Oct 2021, 10:26 pm

Glad I never shoot CCI in my Bleiker.
SwissMiss
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 01 Nov 2021, 1:54 pm

I guess I wouldn't be using CCI standard ammo in some high end swiss made target rifle either...BUT most of us don't have or have a need for this type of rifle, but have a need for a more all round .22 and CCI suits in most cases along with other similar types of ammo.
I have had good results with this ammo at 50m through my Anschutz.
Attachments
Anschutz with STDcci copy.jpg
Anschutz with STDcci copy.jpg (675.86 KiB) Viewed 1096 times
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition