Lee scale mods

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Lee scale mods

Post by disco stu » 05 Dec 2021, 1:45 pm

So I picked up a press and some lee scales from a guy I know yesterday to kick me off reloading. I've read a lot of complaints about the scales, and he said similarly that I would be best getting something else.

On first settling them up I could see what the issues were-the magnetic damping wasn't doing much, and the V for the pivot was more like an expanded U or \_/ shape, bit hard to get it centered at the other end can scrape on the sides of the damper slot

Decided to deal with the magnetic damping. The old magnets would be lucky to hold something small against the fridge, very weak. Cut some wood to fit in the grooves, recess some holes the right size and glued in some small rare earth magnets.

This took it from 12 "swings" to settle as original down to 6. Thought it could be better, so put 2 magnets in each side and it's now settled after 3 swings. Slow and smooth, works well and isn't exactly a massive project.

Photo shows the little bits of wood with magnets installed, plus the original "magnets"

I've had a play with the V. Best method seemed to be scraping with the point of a Stanley knife at the right angles in the bottom. It's better, but not perfect. But lower in the importance scale so I'll worry about it more later. Not the kind of part you want to get wrong I thought.

So another one in my typical style of buy cheap and modify.

Anyway, just thought I would throw this out there in case someone has one and is finding it frustrating.
Attachments
Resizer_16386747230120.jpg
Resizer_16386747230120.jpg (644.79 KiB) Viewed 2546 times
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Lee scale mods

Post by cz515 » 05 Dec 2021, 4:15 pm

Nice work mate
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 05 Dec 2021, 7:11 pm

I wonder if you can buy those bearings that the beam pivots on?
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2021, 7:41 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:I wonder if you can buy those bearings that the beam pivots on?

Doesn't have bearings, it's more like a knife blade.
Bearings doesn't sound like a bad idea though, do any other scales use bearings?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 05 Dec 2021, 7:50 pm

Bearing would surely have more resistance than the knife blade
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Dec 2021, 8:00 pm

disco stu wrote:Bearing would surely have more resistance than the knife blade

I would think so.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 05 Dec 2021, 9:20 pm

Just saw another idea. Rare earth magnet under the aluminium pan to stop it rocking around. Needs to be strong though, and trying it out the pan sometimes hits it so it can't be too thick. But certainly slows the rocking down faster
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Dec 2021, 8:36 am

bladeracer wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:I wonder if you can buy those bearings that the beam pivots on?

Bearings doesn't sound like a bad idea though, do any other scales use bearings?

Just goes to show me :oops: I thought balance beams pivoted on "Agate" bearings and bought some new ones for my very first scale, donkeys years ago.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 06 Dec 2021, 3:49 pm

I think the better quality scales use agate, but I anyways pictured it was a sharpened piece of agate the same way a razor blade is used on these Lee scales, or blade against agate "V"
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 06 Dec 2021, 5:58 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Just goes to show me :oops: I thought balance beams pivoted on "Agate" bearings and bought some new ones for my very first scale, donkeys years ago.

I assumed you meant a roller-bearing design :-)
I don't know if Lee uses agate in their scale. They state that it's a stainless razor blade edge, but not what it bears on. If it were agate I'm sure they'd advertise it.
I haven't used mine in a while (I have two) but I could have a look at it. I know the edge is easily bumped off its bearings though. I'm not a fan unless you're just using it to set up a powder thrower or something, too damned fiddly for regular use.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 06 Dec 2021, 7:05 pm

Yeah; I think I am way behind the times. My first scale was a Lyman and that was late sixties. Became inaccurate, showing variable readings ten years ago.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Dec 2021, 7:28 pm

My redding scales have a hard steel V. I think only the most expensive would have polished agate.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 07 Dec 2021, 1:52 pm

Will the strong rare earth magnets "over-power" small differences in charge weight?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Dec 2021, 2:31 pm

in2anity wrote:Will the strong rare earth magnets "over-power" small differences in charge weight?

That's what I thought. But apparently not so.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_damping

I'm going to add more magnets to my Redding #2 set to try it out.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2021, 3:06 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
in2anity wrote:Will the strong rare earth magnets "over-power" small differences in charge weight?

That's what I thought. But apparently not so.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_damping

I'm going to add more magnets to my Redding #2 set to try it out.

As long as the magnets are on the sides, so their fields only effect vertical movement of the beam they should work fine. Whether you can simply keep increasing the magnetic field without effecting the accuracy I don't know. I prefer digital scales myself.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 07 Dec 2021, 3:48 pm

If you try sticking a magnet on the bit of metal on the end of the arm, you'll see that it's non magnetic-aluminium or copper. Eddy current sets up when a conductor moves through a magnetic field, and it sets up an opposing magnetic field,but only when moving hence why it dampens the movement but doesn't affect the resting position.

Technically, like brakes convert kinetic energy to heat through friction, eddy currents convert kinetic energy to heat also but through magnetics.

Same system is used as magnetic cast control on overhead reels with aluminium spools
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition