Reloading OSA/ADI .243 brass compared to Win, Rem etc

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Reloading OSA/ADI .243 brass compared to Win, Rem etc

Post by oldgoat » 11 Dec 2021, 6:55 pm

Working up 87 Vmax loads with 2209 in ADI .243 brass and finding I need to drop 2 grains to match Remington, Norma and Winchester for the same velocity.
Anyone else finding the same? ADI holds 2 grains less water than Remington case.

In .308 I only need to drop half a grain 2208 with ADI brass and 130 Speer HP to match other brass.
oldgoat
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Reloading OSA/ADI .243 brass compared to Win, Rem etc

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Dec 2021, 8:43 pm

I use some ADI brass and find it pretty good, not at the level of Norma or Lapua but pretty good. I wouldn't bother with Winchester or Remington brass unless it is for hunting and you get the brass for free. Takes a ton of preparation and sorting to get half decent results. You need to anneal once fired cheap brass because factory annealing is so hit and miss.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 14 Dec 2021, 8:58 pm

oldgoat wrote:Working up 87 Vmax loads with 2209 in ADI .243 brass and finding I need to drop 2 grains to match Remington, Norma and Winchester for the same velocity.
Anyone else finding the same? ADI holds 2 grains less water than Remington case.

In .308 I only need to drop half a grain 2208 with ADI brass and 130 Speer HP to match other brass.

Are you using fire-formed brass? Neck-sizing or FLS? How you size the case changes its volume.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by oldgoat » 17 Dec 2021, 8:31 pm

FLS once fired factory rounds. Was expecting to drop half a grain compared to other brass as I have with ADI .308 but not 2 grains. Though maybe someone else may have had similar experience.
oldgoat
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 17 Dec 2021, 8:46 pm

I weighed some 243 brass and found Remington brass could vary by up to six grains but Lapua brass only varied by a little over one grain. Not sure what variation you will find with your ADI brass but it could be less than your cheap brass. If you are getting the speed you want with less powder, then no problem. It would only be a concern to me if I was blowing primers before I got to the speed I wanted.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 17 Dec 2021, 8:54 pm

SCJ429 wrote:I weighed some 243 brass and found Remington brass could vary by up to six grains but Lapua brass only varied by a little over one grain. Not sure what variation you will find with your ADI brass but it could be less than your cheap brass. If you are getting the speed you want with less powder, then no problem. It would only be a concern to me if I was blowing primers before I got to the speed I wanted.

i found adi 243 brass very consistant in weight . i will buy more :D . to the OP, i would try around 35gn of 2208 with 87vmax . works very well for me . 40.5gn of 2209 works with 95sst and 95 partitions very well also . these loads were with FLS adi brass . i'm trying some neck size only loads tomorrow , same powder charge .
hope this helps . cheers
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition