Gen 6 Lyman

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Gen 6 Lyman

Post by Westy » 17 Apr 2014, 8:01 am

Bought a Gen 6 Lyman yesterday, I was in the market for a new powder chucker and decided to go with the new Lyman.

Seems like the goods so far but I guess time will tell on the longevity of this item. I've reloaded 100 -6.5 ,100-223 and 70 blackout and all within .1 of a grain.

Nice work Lyman hope it keeps it up :?: :mrgreen: :?:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: Gen 6 Lyman

Post by Lorgar » 17 Apr 2014, 6:46 pm

Best thing I ever bought was my digital powder thrower and scale :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by von_klitzing » 17 Apr 2014, 6:55 pm

I just picked up a second hand 1200 DPS 3 from the post office today. I watched the postal worker throw the box on a cart before bringing it to me :shock:

Screamed "NOOO!" In my head and winced. Will check it all it tonight.

Apparently they don't work so well in hot weather, I'm in north QLD so I could be chasing smoke when it comes to accuracy... I would love to see the latest gen in action :)

Nice purchase, hope it serves you well!
Last edited by Blackened on 20 Apr 2014, 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed phone autocorrect mistake.
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Yelp » 18 Apr 2014, 12:33 pm

In 'bit' weather?
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by von_klitzing » 18 Apr 2014, 4:22 pm

Sorry, on my phone most of the time. Damn auto correct... *hot weather*
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Seik » 20 Apr 2014, 6:38 pm

The Lyman stuff seems ok to me.

I suppose it's a bit no-frills compared to some other brands, but it does seem to last.

I reckon you'll do all right ;)
Seik
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bark » 20 Apr 2014, 6:39 pm

A mate of mine has been using the Gen 6 for a few months now (?) and it does the job.

Getting half MOA out of his hunting rifle consistently with it, so accuracy of the dispenser and scales sees good.

Time will tell for the rest.
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Yelp » 20 Apr 2014, 6:40 pm

You've always got your warranty if something packs it in anyway ;)

Good shooting.
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 20 Apr 2014, 6:42 pm

von_klitzing wrote:Apparently they don't work so well in hot weather, I'm in north QLD so I could be chasing smoke when it comes to accuracy... I would love to see the latest gen in action :)

My RCBS is the same. Loads report as .1 - .3 gr heavy in temps near the 40's.

Very consistent in regular weather though with a constant temp.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by The Brass » 20 Apr 2014, 6:42 pm

Mine does the same... Grrrr... Really pisses me off when it does :lol:
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 20 Apr 2014, 8:28 pm

It's not the unit, it's the scales, all electronic scales are affected by the adverse weather. Cold and hot. This isn't only a powder scale problem it happens to all scales!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by The Brass » 21 Apr 2014, 12:08 pm

Doesn't make it any less annoying :P

Not a big deal though I suppose... Just gotta reload during an even temperature day.
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Guff » 23 Apr 2014, 4:07 pm

You won't be disappointed Westy

I've had the Gen 6 for nearly a year now, (bought it from the US) and it's been excellent. The load count is a great feature, makes it hard to mess up.

Guff
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by von_klitzing » 23 Apr 2014, 7:37 pm

You bought the Gen 6 from the US? Did you get a 220v model?

Coz any elec stuff I buy I need to make sure it's 220v but it doesn't always happen. I was looking for a GoldenRod dehumidifier from the US but couldn't find a supplier for 220v models :(

Anyway, let us know who you got your Gen 6 from (if it is 220v) so we can check the deals :)

Nice tidy bench BTW ;)
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Guff » 23 Apr 2014, 7:40 pm

They are low voltage and run off a transformer/power pack. Just swap out the transformer if you have to, simple. I got mine shipped from Optics Planet with the 240v transformer though.

Same with my Dillon 650 case feeder, was just a simple plug swap, but that's how this one came direct from Qld Gun Exchange

You can buy step-down transformers if you need to, check out Jaycar or you can sometimes pick them up second hand.
Guff
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by von_klitzing » 23 Apr 2014, 7:48 pm

Yeah I've checked that but the added cost of the transformer is usually more than sourcing one domestically already converted. It's hard to find a good bargain lately...
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Guff » 23 Apr 2014, 8:18 pm

You don't need a 110v to 240v transformer

You need like a $10-15 item.
Guff
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by von_klitzing » 23 Apr 2014, 8:39 pm

Well it looks like you're on the money with this anyway. $230 from optics planet + post and a $15-20 converter has to be cheaper than $416 + post from Aus!

Good one :)
von_klitzing
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 24 Apr 2014, 2:51 pm

Just to clarify the adapter / transformer / converter confusion. Devices are not always 110v or 220v/240v

Depending on the country mains power can be 110v, 120v, 220v, 230v or 240v (or a couple of odd ones), many power adapters are designed to work across this entire range and there is a percentage of variance tolerance for these voltages too.

Depending on the power-adapter provided with a device it may only be suited for one of these, but more often than not is designed to work across the range of voltages. e.g.

Standard US mains are 120v @ 60hz.
Standard Australian mains are 230v @ 50hz.

Check the powder-adapter for a brand name laptop or anything that's sold internationally and you'll likely fine the input rating is something like 100v-240v @ 50/60hz. This will work in either location with the right wall plug. You just need a plug-adapter to make the metal pins the right shape ($10 or whatever) for the socket, you're not doing anything with the electricity.

You only need an appropriate power-converter device if the power-adapter input rating is specific to one zone and you're using it in another. e.g. if a power-adapters input rating was specifically 110v/60hz for the US and you wanted to used it in Australia. You would need more than a plug-adapter to just reshape the pins, getting just a plug-adapter and plugging the 110v/60hz specific power-adapter into an Australian socket would burn it out immediately.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blackened » 24 Apr 2014, 3:02 pm

Lorgar wrote:Depending on the country mains power can be 110v, 120v, 220v, 230v or 240v (or a couple of odd ones), many power adapters are designed to work across this entire range and there is a percentage of variance tolerance for these voltages too.

On the subject of variance.

"In the UK, Australia and New Zealand the nominal supply voltage is 230v -6% +10% to accommodate the fact that most supplies are in fact still 240V."

Via Wiki.
Blackened

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition