Another ADI update 16 Dec 21

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Another ADI update 16 Dec 21

Post by JimTom » 16 Dec 2021, 6:47 pm

JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Another ADI update 16 Dec 21

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2021, 6:51 pm

It's good that they do hope to release some AR2205 next year, but no Trailboss or pistol/shotgun powders "for the foreseeable future" is not good news :-(
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by geoff » 16 Dec 2021, 8:05 pm

I don't shoot any centrefire pistols so thankfully I'm not too affected but this is bleak for anyone that does. Brutal outlook
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 16 Dec 2021, 8:39 pm

Yep, it looks like the pistol boys are getting shafted. How does this effect range attendance and compliance issues for their disciplines?

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 16 Dec 2021, 8:41 pm

geoff wrote:I don't shoot any centrefire pistols so thankfully I'm not too affected but this is bleak for anyone that does. Brutal outlook

Neither do I, but I do shoot pistol cartridges in rifles, like .38Sp, .357Mag, 9mm, .44Mag, and .45Colt.
Pistol/shotgun powders are also excellent for reduced rifle loads.

AR2205 should work in all of the above though, I just hope they manage to get some on the shelves before too long.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bruiser64 » 16 Dec 2021, 8:51 pm

Not good for pistol shooters. I use BM2 and AR2209. Things look fine for them. Projectile and primer availability is the issue at the moment apparently.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 16 Dec 2021, 9:19 pm

bladeracer wrote:It's good that they do hope to release some AR2205 next year, but no Trailboss or pistol/shotgun powders "for the foreseeable future" is not good news :-(

Terrible news, hoping to see some 2205 about again too.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by northdude » 17 Dec 2021, 3:58 am

We have a real shortage of 2209 over here as in none
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 17 Dec 2021, 4:43 am

northdude wrote:We have a real shortage of 2209 over here as in none

If you can get it , reloader 19 and 22 are good powders. 22 has been outstanding in 6.5x55 and 270 Winchester for me
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Dec 2021, 5:00 am

The pinheads at ADI have really spat in the face of Aussie pistol shooters by scrapping the double base capacity before their single base powders were thoroughly developed and proven, so pulling the new powders has left us with almost nothing. Because the old double base was so popular, due to availability, effectiveness and good price point, importers of alternative powders simply stopped getting in any quantities so now we are left to buy factory ammo or risk missing shoots and LRD in Vic will not accept lack of reloading capacity as a genuine reason for not making minimum attendance. Would love to be rich enough to import some now, have contacts with some major ammo makers and would be interesting to see if they would, or could, export a couple of ton of pistol powder but ADI might start up again and leave me posted with a ton of powder as everyone ran back to them. Personally I think stuff ADI and I will from now on only buy imported powder if I can, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 17 Dec 2021, 5:40 am

bladeracer wrote:It's good that they do hope to release some AR2205 next year, but no Trailboss or pistol/shotgun powders "for the foreseeable future" is not good news :-(

That does concern me, and no doubt, along with other pistol shooters. I have one and a half containers of trailboss and even though that is a fair amount, I am starting to limit the matches I shoot etc. Not happy. But there you have it.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by disco stu » 17 Dec 2021, 6:45 am

No1Mk3 wrote:The pinheads at ADI have really spat in the face of Aussie pistol shooters by scrapping the double base capacity before their single base powders were thoroughly developed and proven.

My first thought on hearing about the cause was this was a bit of a stuff up, not having some redundancy in case the new way doesn't work
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 17 Dec 2021, 10:36 am

disco stu wrote:
No1Mk3 wrote:The pinheads at ADI have really spat in the face of Aussie pistol shooters by scrapping the double base capacity before their single base powders were thoroughly developed and proven.

My first thought on hearing about the cause was this was a bit of a stuff up, not having some redundancy in case the new way doesn't work

Yep, it's a mess. I'm assuming their strategy somehow removed the option of stepping back to producing the AP/AS powders in case APS didn't work out, which was very, very stupid.

I struggle to see it as spitting in the face of shooters though, they just made a major error that is costing them pretty dearly I think. If they were able to turn out the old powders still, I'm sure they would be doing so, even at a loss just to recover their reputation. I can't believe they're choosing to ignore the market.

I'd be interested if anybody knows exactly how big pistol and shotgun powder sales are compared to rifle powders in Australia.

I think only a small percentage of shotgun users load their own, and mainly for competition use. You get around 600rds out of a kilo of powder, so somebody shooting 100rds per month is burning 2kg of powder per year? Would we have many more than 10,000 regular shooters in Australia shooting competitions every month? Of those, would 10% be shooting reloads? So perhaps 2000kg of powder sales per year? That seems high to me, but I don't shoot competition.

A larger percentage of pistol shooters likely reload, but they're limited to only being able to shoot at ranges, and a kilo of powder lasts a very long time in pistol loads. I have no idea how many regular pistol shooters we have nowadays, but could it be 20,000 perhaps, shooting every month? Maybe 20% reloading? You get somewhere around 1500-3000rds of pistol ammo out of a kilo of powder, but how many pistol shooters are shooting 1500rds+ every year? Maybe 10% of the 20% that reload? So about 3500 reloading for minimum levels of attendance (say, 1000rds), and 500 loading 3000rds+? Maybe 1500-2000kg of pistol powder sales per year?

So yearly sales of perhaps 4000kg or half-a-million dollars retail across pistol and shotgun competition?

Then we have those (like myself) that don't shoot pistol competition, but use a fair amount of pistol/shotgun powders in rifles for hunting and informal practice. But, again, we get a lot of loads out of these powders compared to our full-noise rifle cartridges, so the market is probably not huge.

Compared to what I can only guess is a reasonably hefty number of centrefire competition rifle shooters, with a decent percentage loading their own ammo. These shooters are only getting 200-600rds out of a kilo of powder, and probably buy multiple kilos at a time. This market must be well into the tens of thousands of kilograms of powders per year? Just one F-Class shooter putting 1000rds through his .284 Shehane is likely burning a 4kg bottle of powder in the one rifle. And one fox shooter putting 2500rds through his .204 or .223 is burning a 4kg bottle in one rifle.

So a _very_ rough guesstimate would make the combined pistol/shotgun powder market something like 5% of the rifle powder market - at most?

I don't shoot competition so I have no idea what percentage of shooters do shoot competition, or even shoot at ranges. And as I have loaded my own ammo since day-one I'm regularly surprised to find that some people actually buy their centrefire ammo instead of making their own. So my numbers are likely miles off reality :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 17 Dec 2021, 12:09 pm

Sounds like you may as well forget about whatever ADI is doing and the importers in the business should start seeking overseas powders.

There is pistol powder on the shelf here in the USA, so it's being released to the reloading market.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 17 Dec 2021, 12:58 pm

wanneroo wrote:Sounds like you may as well forget about whatever ADI is doing and the importers in the business should start seeking overseas powders.

There is pistol powder on the shelf here in the USA, so it's being released to the reloading market.

Importers should've been onto it more than a year ago, but then Covid hit which probably made it non-viable?
Much the same as why we have shortages of primers and rimfire ammo now.

Including Hodgdon pistol powders?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 18 Dec 2021, 1:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Sounds like you may as well forget about whatever ADI is doing and the importers in the business should start seeking overseas powders.

Importers should've been onto it more than a year ago, but then Covid hit which probably made it non-viable?
Much the same as why we have shortages of primers and rimfire ammo now.

Including Hodgdon pistol powders?

CFE Pistol is on the shelf everywhere along with H110/W296.

I'm about to visit some gun stores and hopefully will visit one of the big reloading wholesalers in the state that also does a bit of retail if you turn up at their shop. We will see what the latest is.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by rc42 » 18 Dec 2021, 5:42 pm

There is a large Alliant shipment due to be brought in by Nioa, no date yet but it was rumored for end of this year or start of next year. Cleavers are still accepting back orders for it, hopefully there will be some left after those are fulfilled and other QLD dealers will get some. I wouldn't expect it to get out of QLD though, and the next shipment could be another year or more away.

The return of AR2205 is good news, it can be used in most pistol calibers, even 9mm where I've successfully tested an 8.6gn compressed 2205 load with magnum primer and a 147gn projectile with good results. It probably burns too slowly for lighter projectiles but other calibers have higher case capacity so it is better suited there.

Shotgun reloaders will have no option but commercial ammunition but load development and improving group size isn't really an issue there, reloading just saves them a little money.

The powder shortage and primer shortage is going to make pistol reloading more of a challenge for the next few years, especially for those new to shooting that want to get into that part of the hobby.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 18 Dec 2021, 7:49 pm

Ive been stashing Alliant powders away for a while, got 4 lbs of Power Pro 300 to run in my 357 and hopefully shortly my 500 S&W. Having a decent stash of powder and primers is like having money in the bank. :drinks:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 18 Dec 2021, 8:21 pm

Im glad that i consider myself a horder it pays off in times like these.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 18 Dec 2021, 8:37 pm

rc42 wrote:Shotgun reloaders will have no option but commercial ammunition but load development and improving group size isn't really an issue there, reloading just saves them a little money.

I'll be working up some tungsten loads for next year. With no powder it will be a challenge but I'm working through it.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 20 Dec 2021, 6:12 am

No1Mk3 wrote:The pinheads at ADI have really spat in the face of Aussie pistol shooters

Personally I think stuff ADI and I will from now on only buy imported powder if I can, Cheers.

That's the way I feel, I won't be buying any more powder from ADI again.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Bugman » 20 Dec 2021, 3:16 pm

Yes it is frustrating yoshie, but don't cut off your nose to spite your face. I feel as you feel but I am being patient. I believe in all good things come to he who waits. If of course, their is no more Trail Boss (my favourite) by then end of 2022 then obviously "f&%k ADI
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Marlin44 » 24 Dec 2021, 12:11 pm

rc42 wrote:There is a large Alliant shipment due to be brought in by Nioa, no date yet but it was rumored for end of this year or start of next year.

According to NIOA last week, "there is no Alliant shipment due in the forseeable future".

Thales do not give a rats rectum about the sporting market in this country - too much money to be made with Defence contracts.
Marlin44
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 24 Dec 2021, 12:21 pm

I saw a forum post somewhere that mentioned a news story about a the only ship able to carry propellant powder being turned around and sent back to the US.
I wasn't able to find confirmation of it but it sounds like that may be the case, there certainly was an Alliant due around now.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 24 Dec 2021, 2:48 pm

It’s primers everyone should be worried about
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Reloading ammunition