Blue dot VS Trail Boss

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Blue dot VS Trail Boss

Post by Heathen » 19 Dec 2021, 7:41 pm

Well it seems no trailboss for a while and assuming I can get some blue dot will that do as a replacement for my cast bullet loads for my old military rifles?
Heathen
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Blue dot VS Trail Boss

Post by Blr243 » 19 Dec 2021, 8:03 pm

I don’t know , but when u say WILL THAT DO ? To me your approach seems not to have a great deal of caution within ....there are charts and tables showing powder equivalent s but as far as I know it’s just a guide and very careful research is required before useing substitutes. You may already know this but I state it anyway just in case you thought simple substitution is safe ... Many of us are in the same boat as you at the moment trying to find alternatives .....
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Dec 2021, 8:06 pm

Gmdr low level data studies is a good place to look on the net , and I think with old military loads there’s a red dot general rule ... I’ll look it up
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Dec 2021, 8:09 pm

The load .....by c e Harris referes to red dot use .....I use red dot in my 308 and 4570 no fillers
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 19 Dec 2021, 8:12 pm

“GMDR lever gun performance studies “is probably a better search for the gmdr INFO
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 19 Dec 2021, 8:37 pm

Heathen wrote:assuming I can get some blue dot

Well, there's an assumption that I wouldn't go with.

Fast powders for pistol/shotgun use have been gone for months now, the fastest powder readily available right now is ADI AR2207 rifle powder.
Have a look on ADIs website for load tables to see if it meets your needs, it's significantly slower burning that Trailboss and much slower than Blue Dot but for rifle use there may well be a load recipe that you can use.

I've had great success with AR2207 in 357 Magnum loads with cast projectiles even though it's not officially approved and tested by ADI.
As the powder shortage goes on and peoples supplies dwindle there is going to be a lot more development and experimenting with different powders.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 19 Dec 2021, 10:47 pm

Heathen wrote:Well it seems no trailboss for a while and assuming I can get some blue dot will that do as a replacement for my cast bullet loads for my old military rifles?

Use AR2206H for your reduced cast loads, it's readily available and works very well. I've loaded it down to low subsonic in military cartridges with no issues, but Trailboss becomes more economical.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 21 Dec 2021, 5:26 pm

rc42 wrote:
Heathen wrote:assuming I can get some blue dot

Well, there's an assumption that I wouldn't go with.

Fast powders for pistol/shotgun use have been gone for months now, the fastest powder readily available right now is ADI AR2207 rifle powder.
Have a look on ADIs website for load tables to see if it meets your needs, it's significantly slower burning that Trailboss and much slower than Blue Dot but for rifle use there may well be a load recipe that you can use.

I've had great success with AR2207 in 357 Magnum loads with cast projectiles even though it's not officially approved and tested by ADI.
As the powder shortage goes on and peoples supplies dwindle there is going to be a lot more development and experimenting with different powders.

Interesting you say that about 2207, I have a few old mulwex and adi load data pamphlets from my old man and I noticed in one of them, they list 2207 in the 25-20wcf data. You using your load in a lever gun or in revolvers?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 29 Mar 2022, 9:56 pm

My 686 revolver barrel is 6" so I find using 2207 loads generates a little too much unburned powder for my liking as the hard particles can get under the extractor and prevent the cylinder from closing on the next reload. Even 2205 has some unburned powder but the powder grains in that are smaller and there are far fewer unburned.

I also have a 10" barrel Thompson Contender for silhouette shooting which gets fantastic results with 2207, actually the best I've ever tested so it's my go-to load and the hammer on that hits hard enough to use small rifle magnum primers which burn hotter and longer.

Finally, I have a Ruger M77/357 with a 18" barrel which gets a complete burn with 2205 or 2207, I've only tried a few test loads but it seems to work really well with either powder.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition