Winchester SpMP

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Winchester SpMP

Post by The Shoota » 23 Dec 2021, 3:52 pm

The other day I saw two boxes of a thousand each Winchester Small Pistol Magnum Primers on the shelf.In my excitement to find anything at all I bought them without really taking note of the word Magnum.
I weighted and measured my other two primer types and found all three to be of identical weight and dimensions, so I know they will fit in my 38 or 357 cases.
Would I be better off using a 357 magnum case and loading a real soft magnum load?
Or can I use them in a 38 spl case, loading a normal target load? Powder is APS 450.
I suppose I could also use a 38 spl load in a 357 case, no?
You can tell I am confused ,right ?
Who can help me out?
The Shoota
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Winchester SpMP

Post by brett » 28 Dec 2021, 10:22 pm

ive been reduced to switching to small pistol magnum primers too. unless your loading max loads i wouldnt worry too much. i read an article about a guy switching to rifle primers without issue. watch for pressure signs obviously and proceed with caution.
brett
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 Dec 2021, 10:29 pm

I doubt there'll be a measurable difference, but try a few and see. I use the Winchester LPM's in my LP cartridges, saves having to buy two types of primers, I do the same with LRM's in all LR cartridges.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by boingk » 28 Dec 2021, 11:45 pm

I've used small pistol, small pistol magnum and small rifle in 357 Mag and 450 Bushmaster loads before.

Honestly hard pressed to tell the difference apart from the box and colour.

- boingk
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Return to Reloading ammunition