Can american gunshops send dies to Aus

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Can american gunshops send dies to Aus

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 26 Dec 2021, 5:29 am

Hey guys do you know of any American gun shops that will send dies to Aus? Purely for dies I can't find here
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Can american gunshops send dies to Aus

Post by straightshooter » 26 Dec 2021, 6:11 am

Check out the die manufacturers web sites. Some would send to Australia in the past.
As for shops, there is only one way to find out and that is to email or phone.
You can also try the Australian Brownells dealer.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 26 Dec 2021, 6:54 am

try brownells australia . i just got some special order 6x45 rcbs dies through them . send a email maybe for something special . pacific tool and gauge (USA) ,make dies for anything you can dream of , maybe a order can be placed through a local importer

a lot of american companies won't post to australia , brownells oz have the contacts to make it happen :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by LawrenceA » 26 Dec 2021, 7:07 am

They can.
It is if they will.
Before you get them from the US take a look at Simlpexes list.
It is pretty extensive
https://simplexreloading.com.au/
One well placed shot is all it takes.
LawrenceA
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 26 Dec 2021, 8:29 am

Kelsey Cooter wrote:Hey guys do you know of any American gun shops that will send dies to Aus? Purely for dies I can't find here

Ebay sellers often will, otherwise email Bruce at Brownells.com.au and ask if he can get them. Most of my dies have been out of the US via Ebay, but quite a few have been from MidwayAustralia via Ebay.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 26 Dec 2021, 10:25 am

One of my recommended vendors I buy from here in the USA has an international department and will send orders overseas. They are one of the big online reloading suppliers in the USA.

Midsouth Shooters Supply

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/ ... onalorders

Another recommended vendor of mine is Grafs and Sons, another big online seller of reloading supplies

They also ship overseas as well.

https://www.grafs.com/retail/terms-of-s ... section_18

Hope that helps.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 26 Dec 2021, 11:11 am

wanneroo wrote:One of my recommended vendors I buy from here in the USA has an international department and will send orders overseas. They are one of the big online reloading suppliers in the USA.

Midsouth Shooters Supply

Another recommended vendor of mine is Grafs and Sons, another big online seller of reloading supplies

Hope that helps.

Have bought from MidSouth and I like them. Never tried Grafs but I'll have to have a browse.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 26 Dec 2021, 3:29 pm

wanneroo wrote:One of my recommended vendors I buy from here in the USA has an international department and will send orders overseas. They are one of the big online reloading suppliers in the USA.

Midsouth Shooters Supply

Hope that helps.

Thanks Wanneroo, I've looked around the midsouth in the past and I'm pretty sure they did have some of what I'm looking for. Will have another look, cheers
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 27 Dec 2021, 11:41 pm

It's looking like it's going to cost me around $340 for 50-70gov dies, whether I buy in Aus or from the US, does that seem like an outrageous price?
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 28 Dec 2021, 6:20 am

The companies I use for blackpowder gun stuff are Buffalo Arms and Track of the Wolf. Both send to Australia although the postage can be a bit steep. They both show .50-70Gov dies for @ $60U.S. but are listing them as out of stock.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 28 Dec 2021, 6:29 am

Buffalo Arms Co. lists them here: https://www.buffaloarms.com/50-70-gover ... 36804.html for US$59.59
Out of stock at the moment, but if you subscribe to their mailing list they will advise when available.
I have bought LOTS of stuff from them and they always ship via the lowest cost option, unless you advise them otherwise. Note that the "indicated" shipping cost is always more than the actual.
Cheap enough these days to phone them and find out.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 28 Dec 2021, 8:52 am

Yep the out of stock part is my drama.
I'm looking for a way to load 43 Egyptian, hoping to find RCBS 32 win special dies and any 50/70 dies
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by gunnnie » 28 Dec 2021, 4:52 pm

Have bought custom dies from C4H before, no probs. Also had replacement dies sent from Lee under warranty.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Dec 2021, 6:18 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:Yep the out of stock part is my drama.
I'm looking for a way to load 43 Egyptian, hoping to find RCBS 32 win special dies and any 50/70 dies

For $340 you can probably make the die-set from scratch to match your chamber.
Have you already done a chamber cast to get the dimensions?
This is from Barnes' Cartridges of the World 13th Edition in case you don't have it.
Depending on actual bore diameter you could also make up some chamber adapters and shoot a cartridge easier to get/make, at least until you get dies.
Attachments
11282021185855.jpg
11282021185855.jpg (235.44 KiB) Viewed 3638 times
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 29 Dec 2021, 6:54 am

bladeracer wrote:

This is from Barnes' Cartridges of the World 13th Edition in case you don't have it.
Depending on actual bore diameter you could also make up some chamber adapters and shoot a cartridge easier to get/make, at least until you get dies.

Yeah so the chamber is almost perfect .43 Egyptian measurements, but then the bore is only .439
I got talking to some guys on a rolling block forum. They said this is fairly common as 43 spanish barrels were used to get Egyptian rifles out the door fast.

Mine has been cut down to a carbine. All it's military markings have been/ tried to be removed
Attachments
20201110_095842_copy_2016x1134.jpg
20201110_095842_copy_2016x1134.jpg (484.98 KiB) Viewed 3612 times
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Dec 2021, 10:31 am

Bugger, that is an odd-size hole to push a bullet down :-)
CBE do have some moulds that are close, but you might want to make a sizing die as well.
Or you can paper-patch .44-40 or .44 Mag bullets up to size.

I thought I saw something somewhere about using .348Win brass? .32Win Special has a 100-thou smaller rim diameter.
https://www.rebelgunworks.com.au/collec ... in-50pk-rn

If it were mine, and I just wanted to shoot it for fun, I'd get on the lathe and turn up an adapter to fit the rifle's chamber with a .44 Magnum chamber in it with a .442" throat (if somebody fired a factory round in it the bullet wouldn't obturate anyway being 10-thou under-size), then use .44 brass with cast bullets around .441". Buying dies and brass for it wouldn't be worth the cost for the amount of shooting I'd be doing, and .44 Mag gives enough case volume to replicate original loads I think.

Are you planning to use blackpowder?

Kelsey Cooter wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Yeah so the chamber is almost perfect .43 Egyptian measurements, but then the bore is only .439
I got talking to some guys on a rolling block forum. They said this is fairly common as 43 spanish barrels were used to get Egyptian rifles out the door fast.

Mine has been cut down to a carbine. All it's military markings have been/ tried to be removed
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 29 Dec 2021, 10:32 am

Is No1Mk3 shooting .43 Egyptian?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 29 Dec 2021, 7:27 pm

Yeah I've been wondering about 44mag projectiles.

I already have .430 hardcast lead projectiles for my 44mag and .427 for 44-40.
I've already bought 20pieces of 43Egyptian brass from Bruce.

What do you think of if I were to paper patch these and push them down onto 2F in the Egyptian brass?

I bought a heap of 577snider gear from a bloke who said he didnt bother resizing, he would just reprime, powder and push paper patched projectiles back in by hand
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Dec 2021, 8:46 pm

Kelsey Cooter wrote:Yeah I've been wondering about 44mag projectiles.

I already have .430 hardcast lead projectiles for my 44mag and .427 for 44-40.
I've already bought 20pieces of 43Egyptian brass from Bruce.

What do you think of if I were to paper patch these and push them down onto 2F in the Egyptian brass?

I bought a heap of 577snider gear from a bloke who said he didnt bother resizing, he would just reprime, powder and push paper patched projectiles back in by hand

I cast .432" for .44 Mag. I would definitely be trying .430" bullets wrapped in paper, but you'll need thin paper for that, maybe onion skin, if you can find it. I have a few sheets of this stuff, but can't remember where I put it so I wouldn't lose it :-)
https://www.papersource.net.au/vellum-w ... .html.html

I'm generally patching up quite a lot so I just use copier paper. If you can find some 60gsm or 70gsm coated paper it should be about .0025" thick, so four thicknesses (two full wraps) is about 10-thou.

Yep, seat that firmly on a case-full of black. What is the case capacity of .43 Egyptian? Since you have a fairly stubby barrel you might want to use a smaller charge and top it off with a filler rather than launch a bunch of unburned black down range.

I would think sizing would be unnecessary, just try it and see. If the neck expands too wide to hold the new bullet, patch it up another wrap until it fits.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition