Rotary Tumbler

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Rotary Tumbler

Post by Jackaroo » 26 Dec 2021, 2:47 pm

Does anyone use one of these rotary tumblers for dry tumbling (NOT wet tumbling) with walnut or corncob media?

What's it like?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/22260717990 ... UMDBzNC-Xw

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (445.84 KiB) Viewed 2526 times
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Rotary Tumbler

Post by No1_49er » 26 Dec 2021, 3:30 pm

No I don't.
Use it for wet stainless steel pins tumbling only.
Do people still use walnut/corn-cob media ?
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 26 Dec 2021, 3:48 pm

Yes. Run it through my Lyman tumbler. Works for me. :)
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by northdude » 26 Dec 2021, 7:27 pm

I use a vibrating one with corn media and a splash of brasso in it. Appaerently its a no no but i havnt had any bad effects..
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by JimTom » 28 Dec 2021, 8:14 am

northdude wrote:I use a vibrating one with corn media and a splash of brasso in it. Appaerently its a no no but i havnt had any bad effects..

Why is that a no no mate? I’ve not heard that before.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by straightshooter » 28 Dec 2021, 8:19 am

That's because, Oh Shock Oh Horror, brasso contains ammonia. A substance known by some forum posters to LITERALLY make brass crumble and even disappear before your very eyes!
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by rc42 » 28 Dec 2021, 9:22 am

I've heard that wet tumbling with stainless steel pins gets the cleanest brass inside and out but my current method works well enough that it's not worth the cost of changing it. Perhaps if I were cleaning more brass it would be.

I currently de-prime then ultrasonic, dry the brass and then give it several hours in a vibratory tumbler with some sort of walnut style media with added polish.
Brass comes out bright and shiny and doesn't start to tarnish for months, some primer pockets are still dirty but they all get checked to ensure the flash hole is clear of media so the worst ones get a hand clean.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 28 Dec 2021, 12:50 pm

Hmmmm well I’ve polished heaps of brass (Army) with brasso in my lifetime. Can’t say I witnessed any adverse side effects, after all, it was my understanding that’s what Brasso was for.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by northdude » 28 Dec 2021, 1:28 pm

Curious about the stainless pins. Would it harden the brass kind of like shot piening?
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by No1_49er » 28 Dec 2021, 1:40 pm

northdude wrote:Curious about the stainless pins. Would it harden the brass kind of like shot piening?

Although it's a bit of an unknown re' the work hardening, that's why, with good case prep', that you anneal the brass prior to sizing
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 29 Dec 2021, 1:33 am

northdude wrote:Curious about the stainless pins. Would it harden the brass kind of like shot piening?

The brass just rolls around with the pins in a water solution so no I don't think it has the same effect of blasting the brass that hard.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 29 Dec 2021, 1:35 am

rc42 wrote:I've heard that wet tumbling with stainless steel pins gets the cleanest brass inside and out but my current method works well enough that it's not worth the cost of changing it. Perhaps if I were cleaning more brass it would be.

I currently de-prime then ultrasonic, dry the brass and then give it several hours in a vibratory tumbler with some sort of walnut style media with added polish.
Brass comes out bright and shiny and doesn't start to tarnish for months, some primer pockets are still dirty but they all get checked to ensure the flash hole is clear of media so the worst ones get a hand clean.

I've got a two video series on my Youtube channel in regards to wet tumbling and how I do it.

In the end what I like with wet tumbling is it washes everything clean. I find when I have gotten used brass that has been dry tumbled it always has a powdery type residue on it.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Reloading ammunition