Shell holders

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Shell holders

Post by flashman » 31 Dec 2021, 2:15 pm

Hi just a quick question : I thought all shell holder were the same and inter changeable ,put a Hornady holder in my lee press...............lets say had fun getting it out , they look almost identical ..ok educate me .... :shock:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Shell holders

Post by bladeracer » 31 Dec 2021, 2:29 pm

flashman wrote:Hi just a quick question : I thought all shell holder were the same and inter changeable ,put a Hornady holder in my lee press...............lets say had fun getting it out , they look almost identical ..ok educate me .... :shock:

Nope, there are differences, including the height. Sometimes if your sizing die isn't bumping the shoulder far enough you might find a different brand of shell holder let's you push the brass in a little further, likewise, using a thicker shell holder can mean all the brass you sized might not fit in your rifle.
Last edited by bladeracer on 01 Jan 2022, 10:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bugman » 31 Dec 2021, 3:23 pm

I use the makers shell holders. RCBS press using RCBS holders, Lee press using Lee holders etc. That is just the way I deal with things like this.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by flashman » 01 Jan 2022, 9:25 am

Yep i think i will do the same and use manufacturers shell holders in the correct press to save any problems .......... :thumbsup:
flashman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 01 Jan 2022, 12:39 pm

I mainly usually Lee shell holders. I have used them in Lee and Rcbs presses.

There are different. Didn’t really experience any problems til I got a Hornady case trimmer. Doesn’t work unless you have the Hornady shell holders as they larger hole in the middle.

I mainly used the Lee now with Lee dies and bought the Hornady set for the case trimmer
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition